Another Lightning Round

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
edited August 20, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
We had a nice little electrical storm on Saturday night. Here are some highlights.

IMG_8100.jpg

I got a couple of shots like this where a huge fat lightning bolt has a green glow around it. Not sure what that is. Plasma-fied air?
IMG_8104.jpg

IMG_8147.jpg

IMG_8168.jpg

IMG_8128.jpg

IMG_8180.jpg

IMG_8123.jpg

Thanks for looking. :D

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    These are excellent. clap.gif What's your technique for capturing these, if you wouldn't mine sharing?
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 19, 2008
    Thanks, Dan. It's actually very easy to shoot lightning. You need to switch to manual focus and pre-focus to close-to-infinity. Use an average setting like ISO400, F5, and bulb-setting for length. Just open the shutter with your remote, wait for a lightning bolt and release. If no lightning has struck for a period of time, say 15 seconds, release the shutter again and start a new frame. The reason for that is so that you don't overexpose any ambient light sources and blow out your scene. The exact ISO and aperture depend on the lightning. So review a few test shots until you get things dialed in.

Try it some time. It can be frustrating, but it's really a rush when you get one.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    kdog wrote:
    Thanks, Dan. It's actually very easy to shoot lightning. You need to switch to manual focus and pre-focus to close-to-infinity. Use an average setting like ISO400, F5, and bulb-setting for length. Just open the shutter with your remote, wait for a lightning bolt and release. If no lightning has struck for a period of time, say 15 seconds, release the shutter again and start a new frame. The reason for that is so that you don't overexpose any ambient light sources and blow out your scene. The exact ISO and aperture depend on the lightning. So review a few test shots until you get things dialed in.

Try it some time. It can be frustrating, but it's really a rush when you get one.

Thanks I will. Tucson is the lightening capital of the world rolleyes1.gif
  • Blaze Z BlazeBlaze Z Blaze Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    great shots!! and thanks for sharing how you captured them, I want to try now!
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    Nice shots. We recently had a great storm over Seattle, and I wish I would have tried to capture some shots. I'll try your technique next time.
    Growing with Dgrin

• GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    Wow! Cool shots! clap.gif I particularly like #6 I cant see the green around that shot you pointed out though.
  • jsmileyjsmiley Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    Great shots, thanks for sharing. Very nice!!!thumb.gifbowdown.gif
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    Whoa! Too cool. Especially #1, 2, and 7. Nice work! thumb.gif
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 20, 2008
    Thanks, folks. I appreciate all the comments. thumb.gif

-joel