Mt. Rainier & Upper Tipsoo Lake II

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited August 22, 2008 in Landscapes
I got home at 12:30AM on Sunday, checked the forecast, and it looked like there was a good chance there could be some interesting skies around Mt. Rainier and there was a full moon, so what the hell, took a two hour nap and drove down there (during a rare lightning storm) to catch the moon before sunrise, and then the sunrise itself.

On previous visits, it was either completely clear (which made the mountain light up and become completely pink, which is cool), or there were too many clouds obscuring the mountain. I haven't had a good compromise until this visit, there were lots of soft pinks, blues, and damned mosquitoes (nothing like holding a grad-ND filter in front of the lens for 15 seconds while a mosquito is busy chewing your hand).

#1 Moon before dawn (f/7.1, ISO 1250, 30 seconds, explanation for this ridiculously incorrect exposure below)

354674797_a8zko-L.jpg

354681490_igLrd-L.jpg

#3 (normally I twist the polarizer to cut glare, but this time I didn't so that I could get the pure reflection in the water, rather than the stuff beneath the water):

354665161_Bkxmk-L.jpg

354674066_qDKqz-L.jpg

#5 (the wind kicked up briefly cutting out the reflection, but I kind of liked the effect of an imperfect reflection)

354677216_suUzX-L.jpg

Now about the exposure on my first shot... My stupid remote timer (TC80N3) busted so I was limited to a 30 second exposure. This is my second TC80N3, the first one busted too, in both cases, the copper wire became exposed (patching with electrical tape only lessened the decline but didn't avoid the inevitable result).

Am I the only one who has had this problem? Are these things really this fragile? This one only took about six months to break. $140 is overpriced even if they were actually built correctly. There are a lot of hard problems in cameras, optics, and electronics to solve... but this isn't one of them! Come on Canon, give me a wire that can withstand more than 6 months of normal usage.

I ordered a third-party timer off of Amazon, hopefully it's more robust (it's about half the price too). @#!$!@#$!!@.

Incidentally, why do they limit the exposures to 30 seconds in camera? That seems like an arbitrary limitation.

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    Beautiful ! 3 4 and 5 are my favorites clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    I agree with Awais- #3, #4, and #5 are my favorites.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    Thanks guys, I agree that 3-5 are the best, I only included #1 so that I could rant about the stupid remote timer (I guess I'm the only one that has issues with the thing?).

I think #4 might be my favorite landscape photo I've taken this year.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    Nice stuff, I like the last two the most.
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    Incidentally, why do they limit the exposures to 30 seconds in camera? That seems like an arbitrary limitation.[/quote]

I have not encountered anyone having the same issue. However, I will see what I can find especially regarding the in camera 30 secondsrolleyes1.gif
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    Ron, those are simply beautiful clap.gifclap.gif I like them ALL
    edited August 20, 2008
    Incidentally, why do they limit the exposures to 30 seconds in camera? That seems like an arbitrary limitation.
    I have not encountered anyone having the same issue. However, I will see what I can find especially regarding the in camera 30 secondsrolleyes1.gif[/quote]

Thanks Marc, it must just be me (or bad luck). We'll see if this other timer is any better.

I am curious to find out the reason for the 30 second limitation, the only thing I can think of is that they figure the metering loses accuracy after 30 seconds (if that's the case, they should just say that and remove the limitation).
    edited August 20, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    Ron, those are simply beautiful clap.gifclap.gif I like them ALL

Thanks Dan, that's the third sunrise I've seen there and was definitely the best, I loved the cold colors and the pink in the clouds, beyond taking the lens cap off, I didn't really have to do much :D
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    Ron,
    Great photos!!! I even like #1 despite being a little dark... it think that creates an amazing mood for the shot... that just me though!! :D
    As far as the switch goes... well, I didn't even know one so advanced existed! I've just got the simple one with a shutter button and a shutter lock slide... cost $20 or around there... It's worked just fine for me for close to 6 months now without showing any noticable wear.
    I suppose the one that broke on you is guite a bit more useful, but simple suits my skill level just fine!! Mind sharing the advantages of the other one?
    Great photos regardless of the switch!! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited August 20, 2008
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Ron,
    Great photos!!! I even like #1 despite being a little dark... it think that creates an amazing mood for the shot... that just me though!! :D
    As far as the switch goes... well, I didn't even know one so advanced existed! I've just got the simple one with a shutter button and a shutter lock slide... cost $20 or around there... It's worked just fine for me for close to 6 months now without showing any noticable wear.
    I suppose the one that broke on you is guite a bit more useful, but simple suits my skill level just fine!! Mind sharing the advantages of the other one?
    Great photos regardless of the switch!! thumb.gif

Thanks Chris!

The other switch allows you to do a bunch of stuff, you can have it take exposures of any length (longer than your camera battery will last anyway), you can pre-set it to take X consecutive exposures, you can set a timer so that it doesn't start for X seconds, and you can set it for a certain delay between exposures, and you can combine all four in various ways. The primary advantage/use for me is to set long exposures. You can also use it for lightening, or for self-portraits where the camera's 10 second timer isn't long enough.
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Thanks Chris!

The other switch allows you to do a bunch of stuff, you can have it take exposures of any length (longer than your camera battery will last anyway), you can pre-set it to take X consecutive exposures, you can set a timer so that it doesn't start for X seconds, and you can set it for a certain delay between exposures, and you can combine all four in various ways. The primary advantage/use for me is to set long exposures. You can also use it for lightening, or for self-portraits where the camera's 10 second timer isn't long enough.

Thanks for the info, Ron! I'll have to file that one away in the "beyond my capabilities" list for now, but I'll add it to the ever growing "someday" list!!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • LA LandscapesLA Landscapes Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Thanks Dan, that's the third sunrise I've seen there and was definitely the best, I loved the cold colors and the pink in the clouds, beyond taking the lens cap off, I didn't really have to do much :D
    Don't know about that. The composition, especially on #4, is brilliant.

They're all beautiful. #4 is over the top.
    edited August 22, 2008
    Don't know about that. The composition, especially on #4, is brilliant.

They're all beautiful. #4 is over the top.

Thanks! Like I mentioned before, I think it's my favorite shot of the year so far, and I'll probably get it printed. I don't have any prints of my own stuff yet, so we'll see how that goes, it'll probably go bad enough to convince me to figure out all that color management crap (to a point) and buy my own printer, because I'm not spending enough time and money on this 'hobby' as it is...
  • SchnauzerSchnauzer Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    Really nice shots. Beautiful place.
    RON