Trip to India

AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
edited August 19, 2008 in People
Alrighty ... so I think I'm planning a treat for myself ... haven't booked the flight yet, but looks like I'll go to India for 3 weeks in November (hurray!!)

So, have a quick question. I'm not much of a street-portrait photographer .... dying to get some cool people shots out there though ... what do you think, is it better to ask, if you can get a photo, or would you just take it? :dunno I don't want to get the fake simile, mostly want to get some shots of interesting faces ... guess it depends on the situation, right?

Also, if you've been there (in the last 4 years), how did you travel? I think I'll just book the flight & the first & last night in a hotel, and then I'll be on my own ... guess I can either go by train or by "cab" / with a personal driver ... planning to go to Delhi & North India ... any suggestions? :lust

Comments

• AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    ooops, sorry ... guess I should have posted that in the people forum rolleyes1.gif ... can you move me please? Thanks!
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited August 19, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    ooops, sorry ... guess I should have posted that in the people forum rolleyes1.gif ... can you move me please? Thanks!

Moved. Regarding your question about asking permission to shoot, it sort of depends on the situation. If you want to shoot up close, permission is certainly a good idea. On the other hand, I don't think that shooting from a distance requires it. My rule of thumb is that if I am uncomfortable for any reason, I don't take the shot. In street shooting, there are always other chances.

Can't wait to see what you come up with.
    edited August 19, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Moved. Regarding your question about asking permission to shoot, it sort of depends on the situation. If you want to shoot up close, permission is certainly a good idea. On the other hand, I don't think that shooting from a distance requires it. My rule of thumb is that if I am uncomfortable for any reason, I don't take the shot. In street shooting, there are always other chances.

Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Thanks! ... Yeah, I can't wait either .... clap.gif
  • BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    I’ve not been to India but this works most places.

If you are close enough to be seen to be taking a shot and they catch your eye then smile and point at your camera and then give a thumbs up sign.
    You should get a smile returned and a nod ok or a scowl and a shake of the head for no.

You don’t have to talk to anyone as you wander about. Or shoot from your hip.
    Keep some small change for any demanding beggars that may get an eye on you but don't get conned for excess cash.
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
    edited August 19, 2008
    Thanks Bodwick ... good point about the little cash/change .... thumb.gif

Just don't really have an idea how people in India are (I guess it's a big country and not easy to say) ... I've been in Indonesia & Thailand, where they were super easy about having photos taken ... but then we went to other countries where it was mostly "not allowed" ... headscratch.gif ... hmmm, crossing my fingers people won't mind too much :cry
  • BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    Looks like your in for a trip...

There is some some good info here:-

PhotoMann
    "I've been to roughly 25 countries over the last four years and I must say that India is the first place I really experienced culture shock. It can be hard going and the poverty will get you down. It's the dirtiest and most polluted place I've ever been but at the same time it's the most picturesque. Besides the spectacular forts, tombs and monuments the street life and color is incredible. There is no such thing as a dull Indian street. I shot more slides than I would have ever imagined (and I usually shoot a lot)."
    He ends
    "Overall it was an outstanding experience once I settled into my surroundings. I would highly recommend the trip to the adventurous/hardy tourist and especially to photographers. The photo opportunities are endless."

I'd do a lot of searching on your route and work out where you are going in advance... Filll your medical kit and take hard wearing clothes if your traveling far.

Dont forget the baby wipeswings.gif

Bod.
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières