Options

Canon service questions Re 100/2.8 macro err99 msg

WilliamClark77WilliamClark77 Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
edited August 19, 2008 in Cameras
Yet another err99 question....

I'm pretty sure the aperture blades are stuck on my 100/2.8 macro. If not, I've at least narrowed it down to this particular lens and not a body. I don't get the err99 with any other lens, flash, mem card, battery, etc combo. The lens works fine wide open, but throws the err99 if the ap is on anything but 2.8. I've tried thoroughly cleaning the contacts and even tried pressing the dof preview button while looking into the front element looking for ap movement. Nothing.

My questions are: When yaw have equipment repaired, typically, how close is Canon's estimate to what they charge? Of course the warranty just ran out, so they're technically under no obligations. Have they been known to not charge? The online estimate is $148. No big deal, but this lens has ~3500 snaps on it, is 15 months old, has never been dropped onto a hard surface, looks brand new, never been wet, etc. I just don't want to get a $350 bill. If it was that high I'd just buy a new one. How fast is their typical turn around on non warranty stuff? The seven day turn around took three weeks when I had an xti body repaired under warranty. Is that typical of their service or just my good luck?

Are there any other remedies I can try without risking further damage?

Thanks for your time!

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited August 19, 2008
    If the camera throws an ERR 99 when you press the DOF Preview button you can be reasonably sure it is aperture related. If you have cleaned the contacts on the lens then that's about all you can do.

Canon is generally pretty close to their estimates, but I would also include a note where they would contact you in case repairs exceed XXX dollars. Be sure to give them multiple methods of reliable contact.

Canon will take as long as they will take. If they are busy, they will take longer than if they are not busy.

If they have to order parts, that can take longer as well.

If you really need something in the meantime there are rental services available. It is all in the cost of ownership I'm afraid.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    WilliamClark77WilliamClark77 Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    If the camera throws an ERR 99 when you press the DOF Preview button you can be reasonably sure it is aperture related. If you have cleaned the contacts on the lens then that's about all you can do.

Canon is generally pretty close to their estimates, but I would also include a note where they would contact you in case repairs exceed XXX dollars. Be sure to give them multiple methods of reliable contact.

Canon will take as long as they will take. If they are busy, they will take longer than if they are not busy.

If they have to order parts, that can take longer as well.

If you really need something in the meantime there are rental services available. It is all in the cost of ownership I'm afraid.

Thanks Ziggy! I always find your posts insightful and appreciate your input.

I find their estimate quite reasonable. Since I've only used their tech once, I wanted to inquire before possibly spending enough on this one to offset purchasing a new replacement. I'll include a note. I can be fine without it for a few weeks if they're backed up again. I like to use it for portraits, but it's not irreplaceable.

Thanks again.