First bug eye closeup

broby6broby6 Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
edited August 20, 2008 in Holy Macro
This pic is a step up for me but I realize it isn't in the same league with most of the shots posted here. I took this on a tripod with a reversed 55mm 'normal' lens on the end of my Tamron 90. I think I set the focus a little too far in causing the fuzzy spot in the eye on the left. Does this make sense or is something else going on there?

Bob Roby

353669259_5Zn3d-X2.jpg

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    Good one- think you are right as the DOF gets very narrow at higher mags (people often use focus stacking to get round this).

BrianV.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    broby6 wrote:
    This pic is a step up for me but I realize it isn't in the same league with most of the shots posted here. I took this on a tripod with a reversed 55mm 'normal' lens on the end of my Tamron 90. I think I set the focus a little too far in causing the fuzzy spot in the eye on the left. Does this make sense or is something else going on there?

Bob Roby

Hi Bob check out the wonderful Tutorial Brian wrote about IMAGE STACKING
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=61316

You too can produce more detailed images with that technique,
    with the equipment you are using now thumb.gif

... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • broby6broby6 Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    Thanks for commenting
    Actually the bug left after I got the one shot. Using the tripod has its disadvantages with live subjects.

Skippy I've been reading Brian's hints and tutorials all over the place. He has inspired me to try his handheld technique, using a pole to steady things.

Incidentally Brian, thank you for taking the time to create your tutorials and to share the setups you use to get all those marvelous images.

Now if I just apply all this and practice maybe I'll get a showstopper image too. Anyway it's sure fun trying.

Bob