Options

Hey, Who Sunk My Battleship?

imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
edited April 26, 2005 in Landscapes
Air And Sea Show is coming to town this weekend. I always try to get out there and either see the arrival of the Navy Ships or to see them off. This year things changed. The jetty we normally watch from is closed off to the public as well as that part of the park so you have to sit a mile away from the jetty.

20494927-M.jpg

Too Far For My Liking Even With My 70-300 Zoom and 2X Teeconverter. Time to find a new spot.

20494928-M.jpg
Still I could Only See Part Of The USS Bataan

20495377-M.jpg

Sneaking into several service only vehile areas still did not get me the shot I was looking for. Then I came across the perfect spot. All alone, not a sole in sight.

20494934-M.jpg

This Sucker Is Big!

20494935-M.jpg

It Dwarfs The Coast Guards Ship!

20494936-M.jpg

Then It Happened. The Department Of Homeland Security Believed Me To Be A Threat. Little Ole Me. They Asked Me In The Most Polite Way To Leave The Area And To Not Return. Who Am I To Argue.

20494937-M.jpg

20494939-M.jpg

So I Drove To Fort Lauderdale And Found The Opposite Side Of The Jetty You See In The First Photo. This Guy Was Waiting For His Ship To Come In!
Welcome The USS Toledo, A Los Angeles Class Submarine

20494944-M.jpg

20494946-M.jpg

Hey, How You Doin?

20494947-M.jpg

Need A Push?

20495367-M.jpg
Thanks For Looking, Have A Great Day
Joe

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 25, 2005
    Good set. I always wondered about the sanity of the guys that stand right on the deck of a haulin' a** submarine. Seems pretty easy to be washed away, no? Or is that the point...

lol3.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    RevcoManRevcoMan Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    Awesome set of pics thumb.gif

I always wondered about the sanity of the guys that stand right on the deck of a haulin' a** submarine. Seems pretty easy to be washed away, no?
    I'm sure the weight of that sub would boggle the mind. It's probably rock-steady when cruising like that! If it were me, I'd volunteer to be on-deck when the sub surfaced like that. Must be awe-inspiring!
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    Chased away by Homeland Security. Hey, that's a definite step-up from a hotel security guard! I would have loved to see the sub. Thanks for sharing the day in piccies.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    SusanBSusanB Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2005
    Joe,

That is a cool set of shots. Most interesting and educational to see a bit of our flotilla up close like that.thumb.gif

Susan