Options

Lethbridge and Waterton Lakes National Park

spechtalspechtal Registered Users Posts: 344 Major grins
edited October 21, 2010 in Journeys
Inspired by Ann's journey to the Cypress Hills and Southern Alberta. I thought I would add some photos from my visit toAlberta's sunny south. So here are some photos from a brief trip I took to Lethbridge and Waterton Lakes National Park in early July.

Lethbridge is a city of about 85,000 people located about 2.5 hours south of Calgary.

This is the High Level Bridge. It was built in 1908-9 and crosses the Oldman River. It is the longest (1.6 km) and highest (96 m) bridge of its kind.

355016234_stHbL-L.jpg

Lethbridge...well, Southern Alberta is know for its wind. There were some folks out flying kites off the Coulees.

355016208_YNQLP-L.jpg

One day we drove from Lethbridge to Waterton Lakes National Park (shares a boarder with Glacier National Park, Montana to form the Wateron-Glacier International Peace Park, a World Heritage Site). I was too lazy to get up early so all the light is middle of the afternoon, harsh light…it was also quite hazy).

I am pretty sure this picture is somewhere on Highway 5 going south.

355069955_soNsH-L.jpg

This is the Prince of Wales Hotel. It was built in 1927, and started it's life like many of Canada's Mountain Parks Hotels as a railway hotel. In this instance the Great Northern Railway.

355070027_y4Rxb-L.jpg

This is Cameron Lake. The highlight of my trip was seeing a mom otter with two kids...I of course was too stunned by my good fortune to actually get a picture.

355077629_69KU4-L.jpg

This is Cameron Falls, a chute that has been carved through the rock.
355127715_Pbpji-L.jpg

Me. This beautiful view is just outside the park on Highway 6 (going toward Pincher Creek).

355181645_KqWeX-L.jpg

Like I said, very windy in Southern Alberta. Here are a few of the wind turbines near Pincher Creek. I took these from the car window (rushing back to Lethbridge to get to a nummy Vietnamese Restaurant before it closed).
355185886_Lx2s6-L.jpg

These next photos are from another day trip. The Alberta Birds of Prey Foundation operates a centre in Coaldale Alberta (located Southern Alberta about 10 km east of Lethbridge on Highway # 3. They tend hurt and injured birds of prey. Healing and Rehabilitating injured birds and providing homes for birds too injured to return to the wild.

It is an excellent site and the people there do a bangup job

355192355_7tAfE-L.jpg

This is Snoopy he is very cool. He was just hanging out on his perch but as I walked over to look at him, he started to sun himself. It was very purposeful because he turned right around so that I could admire him. He is kinda cute in his own way.

355206051_WZAeh-L.jpg

This is Harry. When we saw Harry he was quite anxious to get flying, as luck would have it, it was his flying day

355206007_pGebR-L.jpg

Harry after a post flight snack.

355206066_q3VwU-L.jpg

355216903_6LxuP-L.jpg

I am heading back to Lethbridge in September for a conference, so might try to get some more photos of the many things that Lethbridge has to offer.

Thanks for looking.
Angela

Comments

• Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    Hey Angela! Southern Alberta really has a lot to offer, besides wind! I am completely enchanted with the whole southern part of the province! I also have the birds of prey center on my list of places to go. That list just keeps getting longer!
    Thanks for sharing these.
    ann
  • Options
    eyeguyeyeguy Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    I like the High Level Bridge.
    Good Day
    I like the High Level Bridge great capture. on my next day off I will have to get up before the birds to make the drive down from Calgary. can you suggest some places to go and see ? and the name of the restaurant thumb.gif

Eyeguy

http://eyeguy.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2008
    Thanks Ann and EyeGuy.

I also like Nikka Yuko Japanese Garden, Henderson Lake, and the River Valley. Drives around the area area also fruitful for great views. Further a field are things like the Crowsnest Pass, Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump, and the Hwy 2 towns (Naton, Claresholm and Fort Macleod).

I believe the restaurant was called Sagionese (I think on Mayor Magrath Drive) but I ask my friends. I also like Osho Japanese Restaurant...now that I think of it there are even more good restaurants in Lethbridge....perhaps need to extend the trip rolleyes1.gif
    Angela
  • Options
    eyeguyeyeguy Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    Thanks for the information
    Thanks
    I will have to plan a trip thumb.gif
    eyeguy

spechtal wrote:
    Thanks Ann and EyeGuy.

I also like Nikka Yuko Japanese Garden, Henderson Lake, and the River Valley. Drives around the area area also fruitful for great views. Further a field are things like the Crowsnest Pass, Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump, and the Hwy 2 towns (Naton, Claresholm and Fort Macleod).

I believe the restaurant was called Sagionese (I think on Mayor Magrath Drive) but I ask my friends. I also like Osho Japanese Restaurant...now that I think of it there are even more good restaurants in Lethbridge....perhaps need to extend the trip rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    pug8pug8 Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    A friend of mine grew up in Lethbridge (he's now in Calgary), so it's interesting to see the landscape around there.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2008
    Yeah, it is cool to see images of places you have heard about but not really seen. And really there is so much more to see and photograph in that area of Alberta.

I am currently in east of Red Deer AB (half way between Calgary and Edmonton) and hope to get out and shoot some of the amazing landscapes around here.
    Angela
  • Options
    jackiejayjackiejay Registered Users Posts: 714 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2010
    Wonderful set of pics LOVED 1,4,5,6,.the first one is my all time fav neat bridge