Nikon 80-200, good idea ?

DavidoffDavidoff Registered Users Posts: 409 Major grins
edited August 20, 2008 in Cameras
Ok, here's what's going on. A couple years ago I bought the sigma 70-300 APO but the problem is, I seldom use it. I used it a lot last year when I shot a kids vacation camp, but appart from that it rarely sees daylight. I think it's because of several factors. First, if I need to shoot something far away, I usually prefer walking a bit with my kit lens and shooting it with it. Second, it's not all that sharp after 135mm or so, but most importatly, it's really hard to hand hold it and get good shutter speeds, so, very hard to use at all under not that great light. I also don't really like the extending barrel, the noise, the slowish focussing and the occasional hunting, but they aren't deal breakers.
A few months ago I had considered the Nikon 55-200, because it was faster focusing, silent, and had vr, which could make it more manageable ( spelling ? ) but because it costs almost 300€ I felt it wasn't really worth it.
Now, I have the opportunity to buy a 80-200 2.8D for 450€ . It's a bit over the normal price around here I think, but the seller says it's like new and was sent to the nikon representative around here some time ago and he also said everything was in great shape.
I know it's a completely different league, price-wise as well, but it would actually allow me to actually shoot stuff that I can't now with what I have, like dark performances that are too far away for the 50mm, or portraits with even shallower dof, etc. It'd be my first 2.8 zoom as well. Appart from being 2.8, how would I feel the difference ? Much faster focusing ? Visibly better iq ? Quieter ? Has anyone gone through a similar change ? What did you notice and what could you shoot then that you couldn't with the f/4 ?

Long post, I know :wink

Comments

• jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    There are two versions of the 80-200. One is AF and one is AF-S. I have the AF version and the focus is not quite, bit it is not noisy either. The AF-S from what I have read is little bit faster AF and quieter. However, both lenses would make for an outstanding choice as the optics are very sharp. Also, the 80-200 AF version is quite small and "light" for being a 2.8 lens and is more compact than even the Sigma 70-200 2.8.

You will definitely see and feel a difference. Get it if you can afford it.
  • DavidoffDavidoff Registered Users Posts: 409 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    jonh68 wrote:
    There are two versions of the 80-200. One is AF and one is AF-S. I have the AF version and the focus is not quite, bit it is not noisy either. The AF-S from what I have read is little bit faster AF and quieter. However, both lenses would make for an outstanding choice as the optics are very sharp. Also, the 80-200 AF version is quite small and "light" for being a 2.8 lens and is more compact than even the Sigma 70-200 2.8.

You will definitely see and feel a difference. Get it if you can afford it.

The one that's for sale is not the af-s version, it's the one before that.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited August 19, 2008
    If it's the Nikkor 80-200mm, f/2.8 AF-D ED, that lens is current and a very good value. thumb.gif

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/124669-USA/Nikon_1986_80_200mm_f_2_8_ED_AF_D.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited August 20, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    If it's the Nikkor 80-200mm, f/2.8 AF-D ED, that lens is current and a very good value. thumb.gif

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/124669-USA/Nikon_1986_80_200mm_f_2_8_ED_AF_D.html

Yes, it's that one. Do you think I'm getting a bit ripped off paying 450€ for a supposedly mint model ? I'm only asking because I heard the going price was about 300-400€ around here.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited August 20, 2008
    Davidoff wrote:
    Yes, it's that one. Do you think I'm getting a bit ripped off paying 450€ for a supposedly mint model ? I'm only asking because I heard the going price was about 300-400€ around here.

I'm not competent to judge values in Portugal.

I think it's worth investigating the cost of a new copy of that lens.

Do take a look at the prices for used lenses at KEH.com.

If you can't see the lens before purchase try to get return privileges. At very least the seller should provide good quality images of the lens.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited August 20, 2008
    I did ask her to send me some photos of the lens and taken with the lens. She didn't even mention that in her reply, but she did want to arrange a meet today for me to test it out. I'll ask her why isn't she selling the lens case, and why did she take it to the representative, if it was just to check if it was working properly of if it had some problem. I've never really tested a lens like this before, I'm thinking I should just shoot a few shots, shine a flashlight to look for fungus and look at them at home. I think the price in places like keh is around 600$, so I think it's actually a good deal.