Options

Replying to Comments

OMMBoyOMMBoy Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
edited August 20, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Is it possible to reply to comments left by visitors to my galleries? Some visitors don't leave a name or email address, but I'd like to respond to their questions.

Thanks for any and all help!

Best Regards,

Chris
Runfola Photography

The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE.
Ernst Haas, 1985

Comments

• Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    OMMBoy wrote:
    Is it possible to reply to comments left by visitors to my galleries? Some visitors don't leave a name or email address, but I'd like to respond to their questions.

Thanks for any and all help!

Best Regards,

Chris
    You could reply by adding a comment of your own. If needed, you can add their name or quote their comment much like this post. :)

commentTest.jpg

If you are receiving messages, you might want to add an email link on your homepage: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=81235
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    richW wrote:
    You could reply by adding a comment of your own. If needed, you can add their name or quote their comment much like this post. :)

commentTest.jpg

If you are receiving messages, you might want to add an email link on your homepage: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=81235

It's just very unlikely that the visitor will ever see a reply as a comment. Even if they happened to come back to this gallery, the odds of them seeing a reply comment and realizing it is addressed to them are pretty low. Most people don't regularly visit the same galleries over and over. This would only work if there was some way to notify/communicate via email.

I've had the same issue. You feel strange when people leave a comment that you want to reply to, but there's really no way to communicate with them.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    OMMBoyOMMBoy Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    richW wrote:

commentTest.jpg

RichW, I suppose your suggestion would work, but I have to agree with jfriend that it's unlikely that a visitor will ever see a reply as a comment. I was thinking of something more along the lines of my reply being in the same field just under the comment and in italics. Like that, future visitors will immediately know that the reply belongs to the comment.

I'm not sure how much pull you have with the SmugMug design team, richW, but perhaps you could suggest to them to incorporate a "reply to comment" feature that owners could turn on and off in the Control Panel. Owners would be able to select if only they are able to post replies, or if anyone could post replies. I'm sure this would make a popular feature as it would allow owners to immediately/directly respond to comments made by visitors, especially those who don't leave contact information.

What are your thoughts on this?

BTW, I like your avatar -- is that you?

Thanks,
    Chris
    Runfola Photography

The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE.
    Ernst Haas, 1985