Critique 1

blprophotoblprophoto Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited August 20, 2008 in People
When I first started studying Photography my mentor give me a peice of advice that I have never forgotten If People tell you what they like about a Photograph you will not change instead have them tell you what they dont like

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    IMO (FWIW), this portrait is just that >< wide of the mark. I can't find the story here. You have a (rather attractive) man backed by some candles on what looks like concrete blocks but, for me, there's nothing tying it all together. Or, more likely, I'm just blind to the concept.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    My thoughts...

There is a shelf(? )in the background that intersects/ runs through his head. I also think it might be a stronger composition had he been located on the right side of the frame.....allowing his gaze some space...rather than having him gaze off the short side of the frame.

Sports shooters try to leave room in front of a subject so that there is space in the shot for the subject to run. I think you could have used that same approach here...allowing him somewhere to "gaze".

Lastly....one of his shoulders is raised higher than the other. His head is tilted toward the higher shoulder. In portraiture, this is considered a feminine tilt.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited August 20, 2008
    The picture is almost uniformly dark with little contrast. It's as though it is underexposed, maybe bump it up a stop or a stop and a half and see what you have.

I agree with the previous assessment, there's no grab to this picture.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    I like technique here and but the composition is lacking context as scott puts it.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • blprophotoblprophoto Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited August 20, 2008
    Thank you all for your input. The Story to the Photo
    the Subject in the photo is a well know Guitar Player at his request he wanted Dark and Drery for his location so we booked a shoot at a castle the plans for this shot is to be used as a head shot only I am in the process of posting other critiques from this shoot.
    I very much value everyones input
    Thank you all so much
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    This photo as a headshot fall short of the mark. The crop is just too wide and cluttered with him being just one of the elements in the photo.

Headshot with dark sunglasses? A big mistake IMHO. Unless he has some reason to be wearing such dark shades (ie,Stevie Wonder or some ocular deformity) the photo will have a much greater impact if we can see his eyes.

The photo is overall too dark. A lot of detail has been lost in those dark shadows.