Swimming Shots

DoWorkDoWork Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited August 22, 2008 in Sports
Took This Shot, I really Love It. Thought It would be nice to share it and to get some thoughts from everyone. Also I would like to get anyone with some other swimming shots to post em. I am interested in shooting some Longhorn Aquatics hosted meets in a couple of months and need all the practice and input I can get.

354876823_eGRaj-L.jpg
David A. Barney

Comments

• DoWorkDoWork Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    Another Shot
    354876317_RWFNu-L.jpg
    David A. Barney
  • Blaze Z BlazeBlaze Z Blaze Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    I like your first shot a lot. It would be cool if you got the other swimmers face in the shot. In competitions like swim meets, its good to see the competitors. Gives a since or urgency and/or determination. I am new to the game as well so post your pics up after the swim meet and help me learn as well!
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    Of the 2, the first is better. Second shot isn't sharp enough - guessing since it's the far lane you've just overcropped too much. The first is better, although it's a bit soft as well - again, action probably too far away for the focal length being used.
    On the plus side you've caught the face which is essential for most shots (though not all). But, the timing of the stroke is uninteresting. can't tell if it's freestyle or breast. A shot should either capture a great facial expression or at least a sharp face and good demonstration of the stroke.

I would suggest not trying to shoot across the width of the pool unless using at least a 300mm lens though.
    edited August 20, 2008
    Thanks and a question.
    Thanks for the thoughts. I am using a cannon 300mm lens, but you have to stay out of the swimming area during practice. The shot is of a leg drill on a kickboard, thats the reason there is no stroke.

Any thoughts on increasing sharpness either pre or post shot?
    David A. Barney
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    DoWork wrote:
    Any thoughts on increasing sharpness either pre or post shot?

The best way to increase sharpness is to fill the frame with your subject. That can be difficult (or impossible) to do if you don't have access to the pool deck.
    edited August 20, 2008
    Changing The Crop.
    Went Back And Uncropped The Other Swimmer, Your Right Makes All The Difference.

355762136_DveJz-L.jpg
    David A. Barney
  • JoeLJoeL Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    Cropping also depends on what your wanting to use the image for.

If you were shooting the kid in the first pic for a specific parent or if its your kid, I would have cropped it a little tighter. Its a good shot but looks a bit oversaturated and a little dark to me..

If you were shooting it as an event type image I would have left it uncropped.

Unless your doing it for specific purposes cropping is just as much a personal preference as the images you take..
    edited August 21, 2008
    One More Time With This One...
    I am changing the shot again to address some of the comments I have received and I must say, they have been very helpful. So here is the final shot and I would like some additional thoughts.

356353590_zp3mA-L.jpg
    David A. Barney
    edited August 21, 2008
    New Shot Taken Today
    Like This One The Best So Far... Thoughts.

356457928_DnaRk-L.jpg
    David A. Barney
  • tipstalltipstall Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 22, 2008
    Somehow I got a double post, sorry.
  • tipstalltipstall Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 22, 2008
    316005009_o7cve-L.jpg

Here is one I shot at a meet.