Lightning

LA LandscapesLA Landscapes Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
edited August 20, 2008 in Landscapes
There I was, working on a database project sometime after midnight last week. I kept hearing the rumbling of what I thought was distant thunder, but I live in L.A. so I doubted that's what it was. More likely it was my downstairs neighbors fighting again.

I got to a good stopping point and decided to go outside and take a look. Sure enough, an electrical storm was lighting up the sky with almost unthinkable regularity.

So I ran back inside, grabbed the new camera, the even newer lens, and the trusty tripod, then ran downstairs.

I live in a neighborhood full of apartment buildings, so visibility was hard to come by. I set up at the corner of an intersection, under a streetlamp. Lens flare. Moved around until I was out of the light. Finally got some bolts. Content that I'd gotten something -- anything -- worthwhile, I moved around my neighborhood a little, looking for better vantage points.

I found one about a half block away. More shots. Each one better than the next. Confident that I'd gotten some "nailed it" shots, I contemplated driving about 3 miles west to the bluffs overlooking the ocean. It was 1:30 a.m. I had no choice.

I sped down to the bluffs, parked, and ran to one of the few spots that wasn't occupied by fascinated onlookers.

Shooting over a dark ocean is hard. Auto-focus? Ha! Composition? The viewfinder was pitch black. Manual focus on distant lights, re-compose, take a 30-sec. shot, adjust composition. Repeat every 30 seconds.

354427906_oxGPf-X3.jpg

354427919_SULJs-X3.jpg

354427934_xUgNY-X3.jpg

354427953_XYBy2-X3.jpg

354427972_aZ9Et-X3-1.jpg

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    Fantastic clap.gif Great job. Perseverance sure paid off. Love them all clap.gif
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    Wow wow wow and wow clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    Yeowsa! eek7.gif What a set!!

Fantastic job. You got great exposures. wonderful comps and great color. What an opportunity to shoot :Dthumb.gif
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 20, 2008
    Great shots! Really like the compositions. Well worth the drive out to the beach I'd say. thumb.gif
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    Those ocean shots are great!
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • dgritsdgrits Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    Terrific captures!! Love the ones over the water... very well done!!
    "No matter how sophisticated you may be, a large granite mountain cannot be denied - it speaks in silence to the very core of our being."

A. Adams
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    Incredible shots!! bowdown.gif

That storm must have missed us down here in San Diego (or I just slept right through them), but truly great stuff!!

Now if only I could will the rain gods to produce some of that down here... :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    Amazing shots! bowdown.gif

I can really appreciate the shots you got. We had a thunder storm come though Seattle this last weekend that I attempted to shoot in the wee hours of the morning. I used your "take a 30-sec. shot, adjust composition. Repeat every 30 seconds" approach, and as soon as my 30 second exposure was finished, FLASH, and I miss it. This went on for what seemed like forever. rolleyes1.gif

In the end, no "nailed it" photos. :cry
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    I'm very jealous! I've been waiting for a good electrical storm a long time.
    Those shots over the burbs are great considering the amount of ambient light. But the water shots I'd be ordering my prints by now for the wall!
    Great shots and so nice and sharp.
    Apart from 30sec exposures what camera and lens etc were you using?
    May I take your picture?
  • LA LandscapesLA Landscapes Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    Thank you guys so much for the comments. thumb.gif

Greenpea: I missed some GREAT bolts between shots. Luckily they were coming hard and fast.

Mushy: Nikon D700 with 24-70/2.8. Also using Mirror-Up mode, a remote cable, and the D700's "virtual horizon" feature to make sure I was level (since I couldn't see anything in the viewfinder).
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    Fantastic captures! We very rarely get lightning here (Seattle) and I still don't have any shots of lightning (no attempts even!). If I came away with something half as good as these I'd be happy.