Exploring Portraiture Part II

Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
edited August 22, 2008 in People
Here are a few more that I've done in the last few days. I'm really beginning to enjoy this... These are, once again, my friend, his daughter, another friend of mine, and my baby nephew. Again, C&C welcome... tell me what you think:

355783779_H8SHq-L.jpg

355757689_7KJfr-L.jpg

(background sucks, but I love the expression)

355757477_hkA4L-L.jpg

355758410_NsBQu-L.jpg

355758162_bEzYT-L.jpg

355759235_tqJaH-L.jpg

355759660_zM4Nd-L.jpg

355760147_bQRti-L.jpg

355759838_MtD8k-L.jpg

p.s. I really like the look that I was getting on the shots of the men... for that I used levels or curves, or both, to boost the contrast to levels that made the colors oversaturated and unattractive, then added a saturation layer and desaturated by around -60. I know this isn't anything groundbreaking as I'm pretty sure I've seen this sort of thing before, but does anyone know if there's a name for it, or even a better way to do it?

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    No piccies - do you have external links turned on?
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    Sorry, are they there now? Strange, they displayed fine on my computer, so I figured it worked.
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    I see them all!!

#1 Beautiful clap.gif
    #2 His nose and upper lip is OOF, looks very strange.
    #3 Good shot, busy BG
    #4 and #5 Very nice thumb.gif
    The baby shots are very cute.

Well done!
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    Love #1. thumb.gif
    Agree with ShepsMom on #2. Plus you are so close that it distorts the nose and makes it look huge. Better with a telephoto lens.
    #3 the thermos is distracting.
    4 on down - very nice!
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    4 & 5 are fantastic! What lens/camera combo and shooting data, if you don't mind?
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    Here's what I see (written before I read other posts!)
    [list=1
    [*]Very nice, soft light - just right for this sort of application. Eyes appear very sharp. I'm thinking it might have been nice to have some light from camera left and behind her to seperate her hair from the background, but that's an artistic determination - might not have been what you were looking to do at all.
    [*]I like tight crops. But this one is too close for the lens length (distortion of the nose) and is too high as including the neck in the shot does not help it. I'm not enamored of the hot spot on his left cheek or the bright spot from the background on his right. The lighting on his face it great - really brings out the depth and expression.
    [*]You're right about the background. Could crop from the left to remove some of that. Cropping from the right would also remove some of the clutter, but would completely change the character of the shot. I also love the light on her face, the expression, and the conversion. Well done!
    [*]The light's good, the light on the background is just right, and the expression is very intense.
    [*]I like this image soooo much more than #4. You have a strong, contemplative expressin, the light is in keeping with that sense. The strong, masculine hand just adds to the image. And you did a very smart thing with the hand - he's not resting his head on his hand and, thus, is not distorting his face. Well done!thumb.gif
    [*]Doesn't do much for me - too much OOF, not enough DOF for my taste.
    [*]This is just too cute. I think cropping this to remove the diaper would improve the shot. I like how you have the light focusing attention on the child (it's either very good work with the light or very good work applying a vignette in post).
    [*]Not doing it for me, but that's just me
    [*]But, I love this one - the expression is great!
    [/list]
    edited August 21, 2008
    Idlewild wrote:
    4 & 5 are fantastic! What lens/camera combo and shooting data, if you don't mind?

Thanks! These were all shot with a Nikon D40 and an old manual focus 50mm 1.4 lens, except #3 which was shot with a D50 and 18-55mm kit lens (my D50 was tragically ran over by my friend's car in May 2007... RIP).

2, 4, and 5 are all natural light through windows with blinds. 3, 6, 7, 8, 9 are all bounce flash off the ceiling, and 1 was done with a hand held flash and a homemade foam-and-velcro diffuser thingy. Since I don't have a off-camera cord for my flash, I had to turn all the lights off in the room and set the shutter speed at half a second, then manually fire the flash after I heard the shutter open! It was dark enough that the long shutter speed didn't matter because no ambient light was picked up... pretty low-tech, but it worked. I really need to get a flash cord, though... When shooting the baby, however, I was consistently surprised at the quality of light that I could get just by bouncing my flash off the ceiling... I think the key was that I was bouncing it off at a 45 degree angle and slightly backwards, so that the light wasn't coming from directly overhead but from a similar direction as a standard key light in a studio environment.

Scott, thanks for all the feedback... especially on #7... I did add the vignette in PP, and I was slightly worried that that was a little too obvious. Glad to hear someone say that it looks good!
  • JohnEBongoJohnEBongo Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    and 1 was done with a hand held flash and a homemade foam-and-velcro diffuser thingy. Since I don't have a off-camera cord for my flash, I had to turn all the lights off in the room and set the shutter speed at half a second, then manually fire the flash after I heard the shutter open!

Well that explains the first thing that I noticed about the 1st shot....I have never seen pupils that wide open in a portrait shot before. I was going to ask if she was sitting in the dark until the shot was taken, but you just answered that. These are nice shots. I really like the one with the baby and the bear and also #5. Can't add much more to what everyone else has said without being nit-picky. I like your style......

John
    edited August 21, 2008
    JohnEBongo wrote:
    Well that explains the first thing that I noticed about the 1st shot....I have never seen pupils that wide open in a portrait shot before. I was going to ask if she was sitting in the dark until the shot was taken, but you just answered that. These are nice shots. I really like the one with the baby and the bear and also #5. Can't add much more to what everyone else has said without being nit-picky. I like your style......

John

Yeah, I didn't notice the pupils until after the fact, but in retrospect I really like the way it looks... I'll probably do it again sometime, even after I get a cord for my flash.
  • ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    Very nice shots. Lovin' 5, 7 & 9.
    LadyTX
  • f64f64 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    Very nice work. Good eye for light and the people.
    Canon XSI, XT, F1, A1,
    Mamiya 645 Super
    4x5 Calumet