Options

Newbies

decoratorsmurfdecoratorsmurf Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited April 25, 2005 in Technique
:dunno Where do Newbies go to learn about photography? I have a Panasonic FZ-20 and I know that I can take GREAT picture outdoors on a sunny day, but anything else could be iffy. Is there anywhere in this forum for new picture takers or do we all just jump in with everyone else?

I don't want to scare :yikes anyone with my pictures.

Thanks

Decoratorsmurf

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 25, 2005
    Jump right in!

There is the hall of wisdom right here on our forum. Lots of Photoshop tutorials inhere, but also a few good threads on shooting in general.

Best advice is to just buy a photography book. There are many out there. My first was by John Shaw - Nature Photography Field Guide. A great basic tutorial, I use it for reference all the time. Has all the fundamentals of composition, lighting, aperture, shutter speed, etc. And its full of gorgeous photos, so it makes a great addition to any library. Really, any book will do, the fundamentals are the same no matter who writes them up.

Reading at least one book will give you the lingo to feel more comfortable talking to seasoned photo geeks. :D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    PeterGarPeterGar Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    "Teach Yourself Photography" by Lee Frost has been a great, easy to understand book for me. I highly recommend this book!

http://tinyurl.com/becut
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    The best way to learn is to practice, practice, practice :D

If you get stuck on something, ask someone. You can ask questions in this very forum in fact, so, welcome, and don't be a stranger :D
    ne_nau.gif Where do Newbies go to learn about photography? I have a Panasonic FZ-20 and I know that I can take GREAT picture outdoors on a sunny day, but anything else could be iffy. Is there anywhere in this forum for new picture takers or do we all just jump in with everyone else?

Thanks

Decoratorsmurf
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited April 25, 2005
    DS,

Jump right on in, the water's fine rolleyes1.gif

Seriously, as previous posters have pointed out, post your pics and ask what people think you need to do to improve them. You'll get polite feedback about what you can do to improve your images. Posters may also post links to sites which can help you to better understand what they are writing.

Here is a great site that has helped me a lot. I think I got it from Shay originally....lol It helps you to understand the relationship of different intensity lighting and shutter speed, ISO and aperture. It has a couple of killer charts you can print out and refer to when you need, also.

http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm

Welcome to Dgrin and let your picture posting begin :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    decoratorsmurfdecoratorsmurf Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited April 25, 2005
    My first picture
    Here is the first picture
    19966787-L.jpg
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 25, 2005
    ne_nau.gif Where do Newbies go to learn about photography? I have a Panasonic FZ-20 and I know that I can take GREAT picture outdoors on a sunny day, but anything else could be iffy. Is there anywhere in this forum for new picture takers or do we all just jump in with everyone else?

Thanks

Decoratorsmurf

One source that I find informative is the Wikipedia threads about photography found here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photography
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin