Second Guessing...Please help!

shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
edited August 24, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
The entries are great in this round! Came up with another idea tonight.

New photo
A Gust of Wind
355985539_iYbzX-L.jpg

Current Entry
Hooked!
355170948_WWXDB-L.jpg

Thanks for your thoughts!

What should I do? 26 votes

A Gust of Wind
57% 15 votes
Hooked!
7% 2 votes
Keep Shooting.
34% 9 votes

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited August 21, 2008
    I really like the new photo!!
  • VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    Damn! One of my own ideas shot down. lol3.gif

Great shot, shatch! thumb.gif
  • kwalshkwalsh Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    The new photo (gust of wind) connects to the theme a lot better I think and is an excellent shot. That said, while I voted for it, I'd still keep shooting as well!

Ken
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    I like your new idea! Really conveys the theme. I think with your skills, you could explore this idea more and truly "blow us away!" thumb.gif
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    I'll throw my hat in with a gust of wind also. What would make this image really rock for me is a driving rain in her face (otherwise why the umbrella?) shot on a backdrop of green grass (earth). Don't know if there's a way to fit fire in...it'd be cool though.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    fishing....(and as usual, im the only one going a certain way ne_nau.gif )

but isnt there suppose to be a little bend in the rod? and a tight line?

my only other suggestion would be try a super lomo treatment to it...
    though im not sure you even wanted my .02:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    First off, the fishing photo is awesome. I agree with Aaron that there needs to be a bend in the rod but I'd be surprised if anyone else would really notice (I didn't at first). However, I think it lacks strength in the theme and it looks....fake - like in a 3-D shadowbox kind of way which I think may turn off some of the judges (but what do I really know? headscratch.gif ).

The wind photo, on the other hand has a great deal of potential toward the theme as well as providing many creative opportunities. When I looked at it I immediately thought of the entry several months back of the woman holding the latern at night. Putting this image into that context would be incredibly powerful.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    I'll throw my hat in with a gust of wind also. What would make this image really rock for me is a driving rain in her face (otherwise why the umbrella?) shot on a backdrop of green grass (earth). Don't know if there's a way to fit fire in...it'd be cool though.
    15524779-Ti.gif
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    Thank you everyone for the feedback and ideas. My original idea for the "gust of wind" was with rain. I have a few shots with the sprinkler in her face, but holding the sprinkler in one hand and the camera in the other just didn't allow me to get the right angles for the rain or the shot. All the other kids were busy and couldn't help me.

356307455_fZ8UN-L.jpg

I tried to change the angle of the rain, but I didn't spend enough time in photoshop to get it right. Ran out of time.

Thanks again for the feedback and votes!!!!!

BTW, the pole is actually bending. My son is next to me holding the fishing line pulling it to bend the rod, but the angle of the rod hides it. The sprinkler system came on just as we started shooting so we ended up with three photos and wet gear. You can see the sprinkler splash right next to my brother in the photo. Why would you ever water a pond? I don't think it will grow.
    edited August 21, 2008
    i hope she gets extra ice cream for putting up with you...rolleyes1.gif
    Aaron Nelson
    edited August 21, 2008
    Steve, I believe you nailed it with that last version. clap.gif

Your poor daugher....Laughing.gif. But I bet she loved every minute of it. rolleyes1.gif
    edited August 21, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    Steve, I believe you nailed it with that last version. clap.gif

Your poor daugher....Laughing.gif. But I bet she loved every minute of it. rolleyes1.gif
    15524779-Ti.gif Looks pretty dang good to me!thumb.gif
  • kwalshkwalsh Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    Why would you ever water a pond? I don't think it will grow.
    Well, if you leave the water on long enough of course it will grow...

:D
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    I like the new one.

As far as the pole bending and a tight line, it most likely wouldnt if the fish was jumping.
    edited August 21, 2008
    Thanks everyone again for the positive feedback.

She did enjoy the shoot...and she does get ice cream. Mom loves ice cream so we break out a half-gallon every Sunday evening.

So how about this one..."Headwind"

356443845_KxVfh-L.jpg
    edited August 21, 2008
    Satch.....your making my life much more difficult. Thanks. gerg.gif(thumb.gif )
    edited August 21, 2008
    rolleyes1.gif
    Aaron Nelson
    edited August 22, 2008
    Ok...I think I'm getting somewhere
    Here is another thought we put together tonight. Too cliche? Kind of like the fish shot?

"So Much for My Homework"
    356567059_gsTdJ-L.jpg
    edited August 22, 2008
    Yet another cool & fun idea! I love the way you seemingly effortlessly throw all these amazing image ideas at us. I've been thinking for awhile that someone should do the thing where the image extends beyond the frame - nicely done to match the dgrin background!
    edited August 22, 2008
    cool out of frame work satch. I like the concept but her arms are a little disporportionate to her body and angle and a couple of the papers need some clean up work. I think the rain one is superb!thumb.gif
    edited August 22, 2008
    Love the homework shot too! You come up with the neatest ideas for compositions!

How easy/difficult is it to put some writing on the papers?
  • achambersachambers Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    I'm with JAG, the hands are disproportinate to the sign pole, otherwise I like the last shot.
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

"The point in life isn't to arrive at our final destination well preserved and in pristine condition, but rather to slide in sideways yelling.....Holy cow, what a ride."
    edited August 23, 2008
    Another variation of the last one with Richter's idea of getting some text/graphics on the paper (thanks!).

357142695_hSjb5-L.jpg
    edited August 23, 2008
    looks pretty sweet, though i wonder if your "out of box" frame required to do this is going to get you dq'ed?ne_nau.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2008
    Looks better without the ink/pencil on the papers.

Love the pp on the sign! thumb.gif

Great image shatch!
    edited August 23, 2008
    I like the way the writing turned out. The blank papers just aren't realistic to the scene, IMO ne_nau.gif. Love that stick figure, BTW. rolleyes1.gif

I don't recall reading anything in the rules about "out of box" photos. I think that as long as what you enter is not longer than 800px on the longest side you should be OK.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2008
    I like the "Headwind" shot alot thumb.gif
    "So much of the homework" cool idea and definitely a fun image. However it's such an obvious graphic/composite (light on the girl doesn't match the light of the scene, and the sheets of papers are purely lifelss) that it probably wouldn't be even considered a photogrpah anymore... ne_nau.gif
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • KurtPrestonKurtPreston Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2008
    I love the new 'headwind' shot, but I still adore the trout shot the most. It's the one that caused me the most intense green envy!