Options

One Light.

Tom K.Tom K. Registered Users Posts: 817 Major grins
edited August 22, 2008 in People
One 580ex on a light stand with a 43 inch Westcott umbrella fired with pocket wizards. Canon 5D, Canon 24-70f/2.8L. Manual flash at 1/4 power. 1/25th of a second shutter speed. f/5.6 ISO 100 <table id="Inbox" cellspacing="0" width="78" height="62"><tbody><tr><td style="font-size: 120%;" width="30%">
</td> <td style="font-size: 120%;">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>
</td> <td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>
2783596040_e39ba3720b_o.jpg
Visit My Web Site ~ http://www.tomkaszuba.com/

Comments

• Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    Very cool
    Nice to see you doing portraits ! looking forward for more thumb.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    While the lighting on this is dramatic, I think you could have improved it a great deal with a reflector on the left. The left side of her face is just too dark and devoid of detail.

The bigger problem with this shot is the unflattering perspective and distortion provided by the wide angle lens. Her hips look unnaturally wide in this photo. Something most women would like to avoid. I doubt she would like the way she looks in this shot.
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    Mitchell wrote:
    While the lighting on this is dramatic, I think you could have improved it a great deal with a reflector on the left. The left side of her face is just too dark and devoid of detail.

The bigger problem with this shot is the unflattering perspective and distortion provided by the wide angle lens. Her hips look unnaturally wide in this photo. Something most women would like to avoid. I doubt she would like the way she looks in this shot.

Also you may could try getting higher than your subject. You seem to be shooting from below, and this just accentuates her hips. If you shot from somewhat above that should change.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    Tom K.Tom K. Registered Users Posts: 817 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    Mitchell wrote:

Thanks for the feedback Mitchell. She loved the shot btw. I like the dramatic lighting and using a reflector would have made it ordinary. I agree on the lens distortion. I need to practice with regards to getting a non-distorted image using a fairly wide angle. The drama of the wide perspective is something I enjoy very much. You are familiar with Platon right? His use of wide angle in portraiture is inspiring.
    Visit My Web Site ~ http://www.tomkaszuba.com/