A day at the Air Show

Quzol1Quzol1 Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
edited January 14, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Spent the day, sunday at a local air show. Here are a few of the shot's. Thanks for looking C&C welcome.

354717772_i2L2Z-M.jpg

Can some help me out with this? Is this actually a F-18 breaking the sound barrier, or some other phenomenon? I don't remember a sonic boom, but I wasn't really paying attention to it with all the other noise the jet made.

354697739_PPHGk-M.jpg

2 P-51's and a T-28

354894367_qTcwm-M.jpg
This one I just liked the colors :)

Comments

• Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    The first one rocks!...and to answer your question...YEP! You got that ever elusive split-second-timing of the jet breaking the sound barrier! Fantastic image.
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    Quzol1 wrote:
    Spent the day, sunday at a local air show. Here are a few of the shot's. Thanks for looking C&C welcome.

354697739_PPHGk-M.jpg

2 P-51's and a T-28
    Nice shot, but your shutter speed is too high. The prop's are frozen. Go down to about 1/125 a second to get some prop blur going. Planes look odd while in the air with the props not turning. :)
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    Nice shots!

I have to disagree though. There's no way a pilot would break the sound barrier at an airshow without severe consequences.

Fast moving jets can squeeze the moisture out of the air and form fleeting clouds in some circumstances. Generally you see this effect over the wings during tight high-speed turns. To get your shot, I would guess that the pilot was fairly low to the ground (dense air) and it was somewhat humid (lots of moisture around) and the jet was cruising very fast - not supersonic but maybe 600mph. All of this combined to create that fantastic cloud effect for a very brief time.
    Congrats of catching it and making a great image! clap.gif
  • Blaze Z BlazeBlaze Z Blaze Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    Quzol1 wrote:

354717772_i2L2Z-M.jpg

Can some help me out with this? Is this actually a F-18 breaking the sound barrier, or some other phenomenon? I don't remember a sonic boom, but I wasn't really paying attention to it with all the other noise the jet made.

Regarding the speed, all of the performers are restricted to below 600 MPH. While there are pictures of aircraft (supposedly) breaking the sound barrier and causing the condensation cloud to form, it is common to see it at much lower speeds. My guess is that it relates to how low the pressure gets over the wing. A high angle of attack at high speed could cause a very low pressure which triggers the condensation. I see it all the time with average aircraft just taking off or landing. I suspect temperature & dewpoint figure into it as well.
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    Regarding the speed, all of the performers are restricted to below 600 MPH. While there are pictures of aircraft (supposedly) breaking the sound barrier and causing the condensation cloud to form, it is common to see it at much lower speeds. My guess is that it relates to how low the pressure gets over the wing. A high angle of attack at high speed could cause a very low pressure which triggers the condensation. I see it all the time with average aircraft just taking off or landing. I suspect temperature & dewpoint figure into it as well.

Low speed, high AOA situations cause condensation just above the wing. That Hornet is causing condensation in a cone around the aircraft, which means it is at least going very near to the sound barrier - the shock wave is beginning to form. The cone is pretty wide though so the speed isn't very very high either.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    Wonderful ! thumb.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    If anyone is actually interested in this, here is a website I dug up that has a ton of links and info and pics about this effect.

http://wilk4.com/misc/soundbreak.htm#mcramer_info

Hope someone finds this as interesting as I do! :D
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    Let me add to the praise: #1 is something else! Good photographic work! thumb.gif
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    Great airshow photos! I went to the air show last year and got a few decent shots, but you captured the cone much better than I did.clap.gif
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Quzol1Quzol1 Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    thanks everyone. The hornet was CLOSE to the ground, this was just after the 500 ft ceiling burned off. So I imagine their was a high moisture content in the air. The interesting thing was is the hornet actually made 2 of these formations in the same pass.clap.gif

mercphoto I will keep the shutter speed in mind next time, thanks.

Just for the heck of it this is the other shot I got of the Hornet.

354716524_ppZ3Q-M.jpg
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    I do like the first shot the most. I detect a tint of magenta though.
  • Howard BarlowHoward Barlow Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    mercphoto wrote:
    Nice shot, but your shutter speed is too high. The prop's are frozen. Go down to about 1/125 a second to get some prop blur going. Planes look odd while in the air with the props not turning. :)

Maybe it's a static aerial display. :ivar
    You don’t pay me by the hour. You pay for the years of hard work that made it possible for me to paint such a picture in only one hour! Pablo Picasso
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    Don, that second shot from under the jet is really sweet too! That's really great timing to get 2 shots like that - clap.gif
  • cmpdesignz2010cmpdesignz2010 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 5, 2011
    Hello Everyone-

New B here. Wanted to chime in on the whole "sound barrier" image. I took a similar one at the Jones Beach Air Show in 2009. I was told by the pilot he was about 200mph below the sound barrier and if he was to have broken it the sonic boom would have shattered all the windows with in a 20 mile radius. Not to mention he would have been kicked out of the military.

Feel free to view the images and blog I wrote for Reuters with regard to the whole event. http://blogs.reuters.com/photo/2009/06/01/from-top-gun-to-top-shot/

Thanks,
    CP
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,240 moderator
    edited January 5, 2011
    Hello Everyone-

New B here. Wanted to chime in on the whole "sound barrier" image. I took a similar one at the Jones Beach Air Show in 2009. I was told by the pilot he was about 200mph below the sound barrier and if he was to have broken it the sonic boom would have shattered all the windows with in a 20 mile radius.

Mythbusters has already busted that one. It took a mach 1 plus flyover of an F15, and at under 200 feet to (barely) break one window directly under it. And it took several attempts.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • cmpdesignz2010cmpdesignz2010 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 5, 2011
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Mythbusters has already busted that one. It took a mach 1 plus flyover of an F15, and at under 200 feet to (barely) break one window directly under it. And it took several attempts.

Hey, I'm just repeating what I was told. :D
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    "I was told by the pilot he was about 200mph below the sound barrier and if he was to have broken it the sonic boom would have shattered all the windows with in a 20 mile radius."

sonic booms are loud, but rarely enough to shatter windows, and certainly not for a 20 mile radius. if that were the case, every SR-71 flight in history would've left a trail of broken glass in its wake. pilots are notorious for exaggerating such things.
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2011
    Yea, we kind of have a bad habit of doing that! =P

You are correct about the vapor you see forming at speeds below the sound barrier. It is created by the same reason that you see contrails, and sometimes vapor above the wings on takeoff in airliners. The much lower pressure air can't hold as much moisture and it becomes visible, while the same moisture content in higher pressure air does not.
  • Shades of HyperionShades of Hyperion Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2011
    Nice capture on the first one, regardless of the speed of the aircraft. The prop planes do need prop blur (I made the same mistake at my first air show) otherwise they look like model airplanes hanging from a string. :)
    Scooba Steve

Shades of Hyperion photography
    Extraordinary photos can not be had standing where everyone else is standing, looking where everyone else is looking