ch37 - protest signs

DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
edited April 27, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
It's been a while since I had a go at a challenge. So here it is, I'll give people a chance to get back at me (I haven't stopped commenting, just entering myself :wink). This was shot last week at the big protest we had for the graduate student and support workers at UMass.

original:
20256085-M.jpg

With some work, it became a little stronger. Removed some distractions up at the top, burned the lighter concrete, all in an effort to make the signs stand out. A little closer crop as well.
20511296-M.jpg
Erik
moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 26, 2005
    I see my recent comments may have been too harsh, I'm totally getting the cold shoulder eh?

No matter, I've got lots more comments for everyone else to keep busy with mwink.gif
    Erik

• SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2005
    I like your photo, but I am not sure if the repetition needs to be uniform. I also feel like I get the cold shoulder at times and my comments are not that harsh.
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited April 26, 2005
    Erik:

Powerful and creative! I love this shot on many levels - that it captures a tangible moment in time with a human factor not least among them. thumb.gif

ps: I like your edited version
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2005
    I like the stronger blue, but not how the wall looks. Also, I'm not sure the pattern is dominant enough. Right now it feels to me like it's a shot of signs leaning against a wall, not a visual statement about patterns.

Cold shoulder, eh? Surely not? Perhaps it's just that folks don't know what to say? Although you are a real SOB, you SOB. :):
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2005
    20511296-M.jpg

I dunno. Doesn't do much for me. Well, nothing positive at any rate. Doesn't tell me what they are protesting, or why. My first emotion was one of blackmailing -- give us a contract or we'll make your life miserable. Not sure that wast he emotion you were trying to convey.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
    edited April 26, 2005
    Aw come on, you know I wasn't trying to guilt anyone into commenting. I mean come on, its me!!! 90% of my posts are lacking in substance and rather making fun of waxy, patch, or gus lol3.gif

As for the signs, I don't feel a strong enough repetitive pattern either. But if this was photojournalism patterns, I'd love it. That's all I was going for, venturing into PJ, just happened to catch some pattern. I'm warming up to this challenge. Some scenes on campus caught my eye this morning...

Waxy, I agree, looking in the browser, the red brick got a not so nice hue to it. Always happens, decent in PS, not so decent in browser.

Hey waxy blbl.gif
    Erik

• Lucky HackLucky Hack Registered Users Posts: 594 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2005
    Doesn't grab me, but like you said, it would be a good shot for the newspaper. BTW Where are all the people who are supposed to be holding the signs? That would have spiced it up a bit. And I really enjoy your critiques, they are substantive and specific, don't worry, you haven't crushed me with your critiques (sniff, sniff) :cry :cry rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

hoping this message finds you well -ian
    Chance favors the prepared mind. -Louis Pasteur
    edited April 27, 2005
    Lucky Hack wrote:
    Doesn't grab me, but like you said, it would be a good shot for the newspaper. BTW Where are all the people who are supposed to be holding the signs?
    I have lots more protests shot with people, here.

but nobody liked that thread either lol3.gif
    Erik

• samandsophiesamandsophie Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2005
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2005
    Doctor It and Sid, I would appreciate it if you would go over to my thread saying More Chal Shots, or something like that.

Here:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=10366

and comment on my Bridge shots. I respect everyone's opinion, the people who have given it, but, as you all say, you haven't been "here" as much as you used to be, I respect your opinions, and I am having a devil of a time with the bridge things........

I could put them up and say "well I like them and the H with what everyone thinks, they are a local thing, a Charleston occasion: new bridge is replacing old bridge that is then going to swim at the bottom of the ocean with the fishes". Who cares but us............who live here.

But it is bothering me. I, personally, am always going to love the blk and white of that shot, but I don't know what I am going to do about the challenge.

I would certainly appreciate it if both of you would run over and give a critique of them. I had one friend from the dog club say, "I don't like them at all, and furthermore, that type you use, I don't like it either, especially not on those photos, but I never have liked it".

Her husband is undergoing chemo, another round started this week, and that is what we are attributing her bluntness to. But I am quite sure she meant what she said. And she is my age ish, and was a pro photographer, so..... carries a bit of weight.

If that is what you want to say I am going to be surprised at the bluntness, but it would be educational. I have tried different types, last night. I also tried to fix an aberration on the print, and I think I was successful, or successful enough.

Now, I, who am not in shape and am overweight, I am feeling very guilty that I don't want to climb to the top of the bridge to take photos of the marsh with its winding creeks at high tide???

So, if you could wander to that site, I would appreciate it.

Andy, you too, if you have the time. I could not go to the farmer's market. The weather was more than grey, and so was I, I mean I had to rest. Particularly since there was no sun to shine on any fruit.

I think my photo is OK technically, but because of my audience, I am wondering why the color shot seems to be preferred, see my daughter's critique in last night's last post from me. I think I have repetitive.
    But I am concerned that the "hook" is totally lost.

I can't enter the bike shots, someone else has fine bike shots up there.

Thank you,
    ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2005
    Sorry, I stole your thread Doctor It. I thought I might get yours and Sid's attention here, and I would appreciate your (s) opinion (s).

Now your signs, could you work with it a bit. Closer together, with people looking angry, but the emphasis on the signs.

I hate to say it, but I kinda agree with the person who said they kind of looked like signs leaning against a wall. They just don't move. Signs like that, we expect them to "move". And, for this challenge, blatant, artistic repetitiveness seems to be what is in. So if you could shove the signs together, come in closer, and somehow give them life............that may be a bit much to ask, and I have a bunch of shots with the same problem, but that would be my critique.

I love your stuff, remember how we all used to "work" this challenge to death.
    Wonder if we ever slept.

ginger (some people still do that, they beat the heck out of me.)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited April 27, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Sorry, I stole your thread Doctor It. I thought I might get yours and Sid's attention here, and I would appreciate your (s) opinion (s).

Now your signs, could you work with it a bit. Closer together, with people looking angry, but the emphasis on the signs.

I hate to say it, but I kinda agree with the person who said they kind of looked like signs leaning against a wall. They just don't move. Signs like that, we expect them to "move". And, for this challenge, blatant, artistic repetitiveness seems to be what is in. So if you could shove the signs together, come in closer, and somehow give them life............that may be a bit much to ask, and I have a bunch of shots with the same problem, but that would be my critique.

I love your stuff, remember how we all used to "work" this challenge to death.
    Wonder if we ever slept.

ginger (some people still do that, they beat the heck out of me.)
    Protest is over, so I think this one is dead. It's definitely not strong enough for the challenge. But it has motivated me to get out on campus, we have lots of patterns. Now if it would only stop pouring outside!!!

I left you some comments on your thread too thumb.gif
    (i've been formulating them for a day or two now actually)
    Erik

• snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2005
    Hi Erik,
    I have not been ignoring anyone. My computer has been on the blink. After they put in the new mother board, everything else is out of whack. I won't be able to spend any more time on it until after my vacation. At least I got my internet working again and had a few minutes to put up another shot here.

About your signs, I think they make a good photo, but not a strong enough pattern for the challenge. I know you'll find something better. There's still a little time. Glad to see you making a stab at the challenge.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2005
    If the bricks encompassed everything but the signs, get rid of whatever is behind the signs and put the bricks there (i know not easy umph.gif), then you got a challenge photo. thumb.gif

But like I been saying all day, I don't know Jack, Bill, Susan, Fred or anybody or anything ever never have never will :lol4 :lol :hide

Oh and you never comment on my threads, :lol4 :hide again. maybe I should not of said that, cause you'll probably come visit and tear into me :hide again and again :hide :lol4