Sigma APO 50-500 mm F4-6.3 EX DG/HSM Telephoto Zoom Lens

TwistedJTwistedJ Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
edited August 21, 2008 in Cameras
For Nikon.... is anyone using this lens and how do you like it? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited August 21, 2008
    Here are the results for Google and the terms: +"site:www.dgrin.com" +bigma

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=+%2Bsite%3Awww.dgrin.com+%2Bbigma&btnG=Search

Here are the results for Google and the terms: +"site:www.dgrin.com" +sigma +"50-500"

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=+%2Bsite%3Awww.dgrin.com+%2Bsigma+%2B%2250-500%22&btnG=Search

It's a great lens, with some reservations, but I can highly recommend it for outdoor use in plenty of light. At the longer focal lengths, you really should use a tripod if at all possible (but that's true of any really long focal length lens.)

P.S. Don't actually include the quotes around the "site" in the above searches.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    I just got mine last month and absolutely love it. The autofocus is a bit slow and it takes some practice to find the sweet spot but the lens is amazingly sharp considering its range. The boat shots in the following gallery were all done with this lens mounted on a D300 and a monopod (definitely required since the lens is massive).

http://owney.smugmug.com/gallery/5664891_s7PPF#348743875_6VahW

I don't think that you would be disappointed for the price.
  • TwistedJTwistedJ Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Here are the results for Google and the terms: +"site:www.dgrin.com" +bigma

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=+%2Bsite%3Awww.dgrin.com+%2Bbigma&btnG=Search

Here are the results for Google and the terms: +"site:www.dgrin.com" +sigma +"50-500"

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=+%2Bsite%3Awww.dgrin.com+%2Bsigma+%2B%2250-500%22&btnG=Search

It's a great lens, with some reservations, but I can highly recommend it for outdoor use in plenty of light. At the longer focal lengths, you really should use a tripod if at all possible (but that's true of any really long focal length lens.)

P.S. Don't actually include the quotes around the "site" in the above searches.

Wow Ziggy I appreciate that it is helping out a lot. Thanks again
    edited August 21, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    I just got mine last month and absolutely love it. The autofocus is a bit slow and it takes some practice to find the sweet spot but the lens is amazingly sharp considering its range. The boat shots in the following gallery were all done with this lens mounted on a D300 and a monopod (definitely required since the lens is massive).

http://owney.smugmug.com/gallery/5664891_s7PPF#348743875_6VahW

I don't think that you would be disappointed for the price.

Nice looking shots Travis....thank you for sharing.
    edited August 21, 2008
    TwistedJ wrote:
    Nice looking shots Travis....thank you for sharing.

No problem and I appreciate the compliment. I read every review I could because I was considering the newer 150 - 500 mm with VR but everything I read said that the VR on the newer model is not much of a factor and the 50 - 500 mm is much sharper.
    edited August 21, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    No problem and I appreciate the compliment. I read every review I could because I was considering the newer 150 - 500 mm with VR but everything I read said that the VR on the newer model is not much of a factor and the 50 - 500 mm is much sharper.

What about a monopod suggestion for this baby?
    edited August 21, 2008
    TwistedJ wrote:
    What about a monopod suggestion for this baby?

I went with the Bogen / Manfrotto BO681B234RC 681B Monopod (Black) with 3229 Head. I love the monopod but I plan on upgrading the head eventually. The 3229 isn't designed for that much weight so the tilt slips when carrying it on your shoulder from location to location. Also, it is simply a tilt head. If you want to shoot in portrait position, you have to change the bottom plate orientation but then you loose the ability to angle up and down without physically tilting the whole monopod. I have a pistol grip style ball head on my tripod that I may try using.
    edited August 21, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    I went with the Bogen / Manfrotto BO681B234RC 681B Monopod (Black) with 3229 Head. I love the monopod but I plan on upgrading the head eventually. The 3229 isn't designed for that much weight so the tilt slips when carrying it on your shoulder from location to location. Also, it is simply a tilt head. If you want to shoot in portrait position, you have to change the bottom plate orientation but then you loose the ability to angle up and down without physically tilting the whole monopod. I have a pistol grip style ball head on my tripod that I may try using.

Well I have never touched a tripod or monopod and know nothing about them. The less equipment needed and less to carry the better for me. I will google yours and see if I can figure it out. Thanks......
    edited August 21, 2008
    Any more input? I shoot a lot of macro and have three macro lenses. This Sigma if bought will be used for wildlife, candids and sports. We have the most amazing birds down here but I can't zoom in on them with a 55-200 close enough. I am in the Okefenokee National Refuge. To do or not to do? That is the question I ask of you?