Ninja on Deals Gap

Blaze Z BlazeBlaze Z Blaze Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
edited August 23, 2008 in Sports
Help me out HDR Gods! I processed this from one picture. I used CS3 to change the color curves and make 4 different pics from the one. Then I merged them in PhotoMatrix, got it close to the way I wanted it, then tweaked it again in CS3. Anyone have any advice for me?

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=584&g2_serialNumber=4

Comments

• mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    ...got it close to the way I wanted it, then tweaked it again in CS3.
    I don't have experience with HDR and I'll admit, with few exceptions, I haven't liked the HDR's I have seen. Most don't look natural at all to me. But to answer your question relies entirely on "the way I wanted it". Exactly how do you want it to look? Are you wanting a "the eye saw it this way", or some sort of unnatural surreal look?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Blaze Z BlazeBlaze Z Blaze Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    mercphoto wrote:
    But to answer your question relies entirely on "the way I wanted it". Exactly how do you want it to look? Are you wanting a "the eye saw it this way", or some sort of unnatural surreal look?

I guess I didnt think of it like that. Its hard to explain, but when I look at other HDR's a lot of the time I am like "wow!" and then when I look at ones I have done I am like "eh, what is it missing?". The picture I posted is there. I feel it is achieving the HDR look, but when I see it in comparison to others, i think "what is it missing?". So I am trying to learn from the HDR's Pros tricks and secrets to give it the "wow" factor. Does that make sense?
  • BCSPhotoguyBCSPhotoguy Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    I guess I didnt think of it like that. Its hard to explain, but when I look at other HDR's a lot of the time I am like "wow!" and then when I look at ones I have done I am like "eh, what is it missing?". The picture I posted is there. I feel it is achieving the HDR look, but when I see it in comparison to others, i think "what is it missing?". So I am trying to learn from the HDR's Pros tricks and secrets to give it the "wow" factor. Does that make sense?

I think your example is great! One thing I would try is doing a unsharp mask in CS3 - may make it pop a bit more. I love doing HDR's - it seems the ones that I am not overly crazy about, other people like. I know I am my own worse critic - could that be your issue?

I have seen MANY bad HDR's - this isnt one of em! Try the USM and see what you think!
    ...more to come!
  • Blaze Z BlazeBlaze Z Blaze Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    Thanks for the advice Photoguy, ill def. give it a trythumb.gif
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2008

I don't do HDR, but everything I have read about it says you need multiple exposures, from the camera, and not from PP. Kind of hard to do with sports shots.