Options

What "bokeh"-lens for E-520

StuggiStuggi Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited August 22, 2008 in Cameras
What I want is a lens that makes that nice bokeh effect really easy, so I'm looking at a really fast lens here. It shouldn't be too expensive, and it doesn't have to be a zoom.

Any suggestions?
Sebastian

Gear:
Digital: Olympus E-520 with Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 and 40-150mm 1:4-5.6

Analog: Canon FTb with Canon FD 50mm 1:1.8 S.C., Tokina 28mm 1:2.8 & Vivitar 80-200mm 1:4.5

flickr

Comments

• Options
    AfterImageAfterImage Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    If you are not interested in zoom then the Oly 50mm f2.0 is fantastic and is easy on the wallet.

Another awesome choice is the Sigma 24mm f1.8... again very budget friendly with a wider FOV and a crazy fast f-stop.

Personally I went with the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8. It gives you a nice range and some decent bokeh when doing close-up work.
    I learned your love for life,
    I feel your presence...
    I remember

SLAMA Photography
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    With the 50 f2 macro the in focus areas are very sharp, and the bokeh can be very smooth. It's a very nice portrait lens, with an effective focal length of 100 mm. It being a small tele makes this less usable as a do-it-all lens, and it isn't the fastest focusing lens in history. Especially when it starts hunting for focus, the long macro range takes a while to hunt through. But the results are worth it. I also ended up with the Panasonic/Leica 25 1.4, but that's just because I grew up on a SLR with a fast 50mm standard lens. That kind of focal length feels natural to me. The PanaLeica can also be very, very smooth, but comes at a hefty price point.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    any macro lens should do.
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • Options
    StuggiStuggi Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    What do you think of the 25mm pancake?
    Sebastian

Gear:
    Digital: Olympus E-520 with Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 and 40-150mm 1:4-5.6

Analog: Canon FTb with Canon FD 50mm 1:1.8 S.C., Tokina 28mm 1:2.8 & Vivitar 80-200mm 1:4.5

flickr
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    Stuggi wrote:
    What do you think of the 25mm pancake?

I have no personal experiences with that one, but have seen some nice results. The bokeh seems less mooth than with the 50mm, but is still pleasing.
    enjoy being here while getting there