Options

The most fun wedding

heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
edited August 28, 2008 in Weddings
It was the most fun, but it was also my most challenging.

It was fun because the bride and groom and all the wedding party were just CHARACTERS to the extreme. In fact they all worked at the theatre, the one that the ceremony was at. None of them are actors, but they might as well be, since they are all so animated and fun. Some times I had a hard time staying on task with taking the pictures because I was just rolling:rofl and had to remind myself that I needed to catch the humor and not just laugh my head off.

It was hard because they were theatre people and the wedding was at the theatre with full theatrical lighting. I got to have NO FLASH and it was daaaark in there with the bright side/dark side of the moon thing going on with their lighting. This was my first wedding shooting full manual- scaaary, but it worked out. I was there for the rehersal, in which I got my light zeroed in, and then it was COMPLETELY different at the wedding. That and they ended up walking down a different aisle than they practiced at because for some reason the asile lights weren't on the right side. So I had to boogey on over to where I needed to be and it was tough.

Well enough chit chat, and I'll share some pictures.

1. This is rehersal- just so you can see the lighting. The house lights were up but the stage lights were down. Weird.
355881710_xsLrP-M-1.jpg

2. Backstage they have this hallway where all the artists that have been at the theatre sign the walls. It is a really cool place, with lots of cool signatures from lots of famous people & bands. Not my coolest picture of the dress, but a cool place.
355883187_xML93-M-1.jpg

3. I really like this shot for no real reason- it is kindof quirky with quirky processing.
355891102_M82Tz-M-1.jpg

We had some clouds that day. This was about the only great one of the clouds, since it started raining shortly afterwards. I had to clone out ALOT of construction stuff since downtown Anchorage is all torn up. Wish I had noticed the tower behind the bride... Ah well....
355894894_r85vt-M-1.jpg

5 & 6 Guess who got their behind pinched. It made for some nice genuine smiles afterwards.

355896847_gCqMB-M.jpg355897081_GeWGA-M.jpg

7. Wish I could share all of these groom/groomsmen pictures- they are all so fun and dramatic. I'll try to show some constraint and keep the number down for you! :rofl

355904897_AJnve-M.jpg

355905851_baagm-M.jpg

9. Actually the groomsmen were referred as "henchmen" and the bridesmaids were the "wenchmen" This is a hwenchman. (sort of a hybrid- actually a groomswoman)
355907872_dYmji-M.jpg

10. The bride and groom. It was raining, hence the raindrops on his head.
But they were so game to go out in it!
355919894_J8tP4-M.jpg

12. This is one of my favorites- I love how the branches seem to cradle them.
355924183_RE8SM-L.jpg

13. Just the bride:
355925390_r2nKE-M.jpg

14. I had them go up in the sky bridge and got a couple shots from the ground. I wasn't sure if it would turn out while I was taking these pics, so was pretty happy with what came of it.
355930274_yJgQ8-M.jpg

15. And when I came up to join them in the skybridge, they were waltzing.
Perfect, huh.
355931044_PWfCJ-L.jpg

16. Here is my favorite dancing pic up there- though I have tons more, to be sure! (and yes those are chuckeys she designed them at the converse website to match her wedding colors.)
355931672_3SVSZ-M.jpg

17. We had some scrumptious light in there:

Did you notice his shoes? They are "toe shoes" where they are like toe socks, but actually shoes. Interesting and unique! Makes me feel clausterphobic!

355934369_veDxA-M.jpg

18. This is one of my favorites. (I feel like I have said that before! LOL!) I like how all the lines point at them and his romantic gesture.
355932139_24MDg-M.jpg

19. Well, there was a cop car sitting right there... we just had to have a couple frisking shots. :rofl There really was no other option!
355934991_GwBue-M.jpg

20. Here is a romantic one for you...
355935607_yngBp-M.jpg

I am going to just HAVE to go over my usual 20 shared per wedding. I just can't pare this down more! Sorry about the number of photos I am forcing you to look at.

21. One of my favs from the ceremony. I couldn't have pulled this off without my 5d's ability to work in the high ISO's with a fast piece of glass. Pretty amazing that I could get it at all- I couldn't see to walk! Thank goodness for auto focus. This is the family row. It was pretty neat- they had 2 officients and it was slapstick the whole time. This shot was taken during a reading of how animals show each other how much they love each other in funny ways is just like how much the b & g love each other. It was roll on the floor funny.
355942236_oxwWa-M.jpg

22. This was a great moment- it was time for the rings and the bride and groom patted themselves like they were looking in their pockets for the rings. Then the Maid of honor and best man tapped them on the shoulder and gave them the rings. It was pretty cute.

355945891_GfXMx-M.jpg

23. This is so you can tell me how I did with that lighting- it was so hard.

355941454_uzR5T-M.jpg

24. After the ceremony, they sweeped the curtain aside and invited everyone on to the stage. They had a light designer put a red spot light down on each of the tables. It made it look rather elegant, but I really had to fight that red.
355957841_p9Bem-M.jpg

25. They had a small cake and then cupcakes to go with.

355950303_opprn-M.jpg

26. 1st dance
355960222_ieWDn-M.jpg

27. After about 3 hours of partying, they were going to walk to the Captain Cook hotel, just down the road. I asked if I could tag along. I am loving the yellow from the streetlight, but let me know what you think.
355967059_GchZm-M.jpg

28. And then a horse drawn carriage pulled up one block over. And they got to have a spur of the moment ride! It was the perfect ending for them. I loved it!
355968431_rWEvH-M.jpg

30. The maid of honor showed me where their car had been parked and decorated. And I got a couple shots of that.
355968576_8e9yB-M.jpg

Thanks for putting up with me and my 30 pics. I always tell everyone that my photography skills have doubled since I started frequenting Dgrin. (And I don't think I am exaggerating, one bit!) Of course your honest C & C is always welcome. I wanna hear from you, everyone!

Comments

• Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    HF!!!!! Ya did awesome!!!thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

I don't really know where to start, and can't pick a fave but....

You did a very nice jobe in the available light. The shots in the sky bridge are amazing! #27 and #28 by streetlamp light are great just the way they are. This is beautifully captured day/ evening. Give yourself a great big pat on the back!

Just stunning!thumb.gif
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    Theater
    Theater light is so different than normal wedding light, Heather! I think you did an incredible job with these. And the fun at that wedding sounds beyond the norm! Wow. What a great wedding to have in your portfolio to share. You certainly told the story of the day!
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    I like it - very nice coverage and some cool images.

I'm not a fan of your funny green processing in #3, although I'm sure I've done much worse :D

Good stuff!
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    HF!!!!! Ya did awesome!!!thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

I don't really know where to start, and can't pick a fave but....

You did a very nice jobe in the available light. The shots in the sky bridge are amazing! #27 and #28 by streetlamp light are great just the way they are. This is beautifully captured day/ evening. Give yourself a great big pat on the back!

Just stunning!thumb.gif

Thanks for trudging through all those pics.
    In the words of someone I know: "Is that all the critique you can come up with?!?"

*patting back*

Thanks for commenting, Jeff.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    Theater light is so different than normal wedding light, Heather! I think you did an incredible job with these. And the fun at that wedding sounds beyond the norm! Wow. What a great wedding to have in your portfolio to share. You certainly told the story of the day!

You are so right about theater light. It is harder than I expected. Fortunately I had prepped by reading diggrinner Rutt's posts.
    And my portfolio is getting quite nice, actually. Yippee!
    I love it that you can follow the story.

But I forgot the ending:

And they all lived happily ever after.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2008
    david_h wrote:
    I like it - very nice coverage and some cool images.

I'm not a fan of your funny green processing in #3, although I'm sure I've done much worse :D

Good stuff!
    I had to laugh at your comment! I know, it isn't for everyone to be sure!
    It was supposed to be a little bit "off" and it is! THanks for your comment! I love to hear your honest appraisal!
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    Heather....YOU ROCK! I still have a smile on my face! Excellent work!
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    This couple looks so happy, so natural, they're going to enjoy their life together quiet well, seems like.
    Great set of images, very well done!! clap.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    Thanks for trudging through all those pics.
    In the words of someone I know: "Is that all the critique you can come up with?!?"

*patting back*

Thanks for commenting, Jeff.

iloveyou.gif Would it have been better had I only said "yummy!" ?

rolleyes1.gif

The photos are terrific. I am sure we could find things to nit pick here and there, but as a set...a series...an event....together they are very well done...and I am probably not alone in saying I'd be on top of the world if I had shot anything nearly as well.
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    These are incredible, I agree the series is just stunning and it's so hard to pick a favorite or nit pick when together they are just magical. Great job!
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Heather....YOU ROCK! I still have a smile on my face! Excellent work!

Thanks Swartzy! Lets see if I can keep you smiling when I get to shoot in a lot of darkness this winter... It is coming and I am dreading...

Thanks for the comment S.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2008
    ShepsMom wrote:
    This couple looks so happy, so natural, they're going to enjoy their life together quiet well, seems like.
    Great set of images, very well done!! clap.gif

I agree- I think they are going to be a great relationship... They have already been together for like 10 years, so I think they already know it is going to work out and have a lot of peace about it. And they have a lot of fun!

Thanks for the comment, mother of Shep.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    iloveyou.gif Would it have been better had I only said "yummy!" ?

rolleyes1.gif

The photos are terrific. I am sure we could find things to nit pick here and there, but as a set...a series...an event....together they are very well done...and I am probably not alone in saying I'd be on top of the world if I had shot anything nearly as well.

Sometimes I just feel the need to say something and can't come up with anything... well... interesting. Forgive an old tongue tied friend!rolleyes1.gif

Oh and you shoot every bit as good as me. But it is wonderful to hear such an extra sweet thing from one of the "masters" like you. Thanks bud.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    These are incredible, I agree the series is just stunning and it's so hard to pick a favorite or nit pick when together they are just magical. Great job!

Thanks Shima! Funny that everyone looks at the set as a whole. I guess they go together like two peas in a blender. (Excuse the analogy it rhymed, just didn't make sense.):D

Appreciate your comment!
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    There's no words to describe what I see .... well ... maybe OMG comes close.

I looked at them all, but I'm not even going to C&C but I do have a couple of favorites:

#12 - Romance!

#14 - I know where that bridge is!:D

#16 - An intimate moment captured - wow

#27 & 28 - Good on you for going the extra mile. Had you not, you would've missed these two wonderful images!!!
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2008
    Wow!...did I say wow? Yea I did!!!! WOW!!!!!clap.gif
  • Options
    JasonLJasonL Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2008
    Great series
    You did a awsome job. My Fav is the police car frisking, just a very funny picture. Keep up the fantastic work.
    So many toy's not enough money !

Nikon D300s. Nikon D40, Nikon FE, Nikon F
    Ansco Ancoset Rangefinder, Rolleiflex TLR Sb800, sb400

Nikon 18-200 VR, nikon 18-55 II, Sigma 10 20 HSM, 50mm f1.8 ai-s, 50mm Non Ai f1.4
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2008
    Great work. #19 is a very unique capture. I dare say you won't have an opportunity to get a similar one.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2008
    thumb.gifclap.gifbowdown.gif
    19 a winner!
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2008
    There's no words to describe what I see .... well ... maybe OMG comes close.

I looked at them all, but I'm not even going to C&C but I do have a couple of favorites:

#12 - Romance!

#14 - I know where that bridge is!:D

#16 - An intimate moment captured - wow

#27 & 28 - Good on you for going the extra mile. Had you not, you would've missed these two wonderful images!!!

I just realized I never replied to all these comments! Woops!
    (I don't blame you for the lack of Comments- 30 pics is a lot!)

I always appreciate your comments since you are one of the real people out there that really do weddings well and share your real opinion. Thanks a bunch!
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    Wow!...did I say wow? Yea I did!!!! WOW!!!!!clap.gif

Thanks Travis- It is nice to know I am getting somewhere!
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2008
    JasonL wrote:
    You did a awsome job. My Fav is the police car frisking, just a very funny picture. Keep up the fantastic work.

It was hilarious. We were all just a bit nervous about touching a PD car, which is why she is cleeear down on the end. But we didn't get arrested, did we. It was worth the nerves I think!
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2008
    bham wrote:
    Great work. #19 is a very unique capture. I dare say you won't have an opportunity to get a similar one.

Probably not- that is why I was so glad they were such a fun crew and would be willing to GO FOR IT!
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    thumb.gifclap.gifbowdown.gif
    19 a winner!

Thanks for your comment!
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    Oh boy ... you kicked some butt here with the posed bridal party shot (clouds) ... ok, now I'm jealous!!! clap.gif

Let's see, my favorites are:

#2: love the wall, you don't see any shots like that ... cool thumb.gif (shot of the dress)
    #3: haha, cool / interesting processing, fits! (green room)
    #4: iloveyou.giflustiloveyou.gif Would only wish all the guys woudl have their hands in the same place, but doesn't take away from the shot, it's simply awesome!!
    #8 & 9: haha, classy! Love it! (tong action)
    #19: you are a brave woman (police shot)
    #20 & 28: very romantic! Well done thumb.gif

COOL wedding! Should be a fun one to have in your portfolio!!! clap.gif