Is it Live or Memorex....

Lone RiderLone Rider Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited August 22, 2008 in The Big Picture
The photograph grabs you - the thousand unspoken words coming through, and to you, personally.

I understand using PS to enhance photos. No purist here, but I do question at what point in post processing a photograph actually becomes the work of graphic artist.

A nine iron in the golfer's hands, when he's made the green at the 220 yd par 3, looks nice, but is it real.

Is King Kong frowning or smiling while he's hanging onto the Empire State building? OK, add some lightning for effect. Does it now look better?

I have a difficult time thinking of an image as a photograph when it contains more than one photograph, or contains multiple merged images/graphics. Obviously, it's not real, but do most people still accept it as a 'photograph'?

The general definition of a great photograph changes for all time if graphics software skills and manipulations to 'some' degree become the accepted de rigeur of photographers.

Would rain add more to the scene? OK, add it - a lot or a little.
Would exposed pieces of scrapnel look better in the soldier's wound? OK, just add some, maybe with charred edges.
I'm sure you get my gist.

Did Francis actually see bombs bursting in air . . . or does it really matter?

Comments

• digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    I've thought a lot about this as well. For me the answer would probably be it doesn't matter ... There will always be lots of discussion regarding the ethics of image manipulation. People cry that "it's not the 'truth' ! " "You're changing reality!". Or, "it's a lie!"

For me, I guess I tend to accept things as they are (or appear to be). I don't care whether a restaurant chef makes his sauce from scratch or uses some kind of prepared mix. As long as I like it, that's all that matters.

Ansel Adams photos. Reality? Again, does it matter? I just like his photographs. Unless we are speaking of something that needs to prove a fact in the court of law, I'm not going to fret about it anymore ...

I was one of millions that watched the opening ceremonies for the Beijing Olypics and enjoyed it immensely. Then we find out that some of the fireworks were digitized. i was pretty mad about it for awhile. But did it really change anything in my world finding out this fact? No. In the end, it was a wonderful 4 hours of entertainment.

So to your point regarding photography vs. graphic artist, I guess it comes down to (possessing) knowledge. In many instances, we don't know whether there was manipulation or not. So, again, it just doesn't matter ...