Jeff's eye sharpening

ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
edited August 22, 2008 in People
Tried an eye sharpening technique that Jeff explained in another thread on Stephanie's eyes, lips and beads. Any critique on the results?

DSC07268.jpg
LadyTX

Comments

• ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    If you can post an original side by side, we might see a difference. :D

Also, bigger shot would show more details, if you will.
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    Is this the curves adjustment layer and mask technique?

It looks great by the way, and I meant to comment on the thread of her photos yesterday. You really did a great job with the whole set.

For others, the technique is explained in this article by Debbie Grossman that I found in Popular Photography. I am not a fan of the method in the article for whitening teeth, and have my own method for skin softening/smoothing, but the eye tutorial is a real winner.

It is easy to overdo and make the eyes look unatural. As with most PP tricks a little can go a long way. Looks like you nailed it here.
    edited August 21, 2008
    ShepsMom wrote:
    If you can post an original side by side, we might see a difference. :D

Also, bigger shot would show more details, if you will.

The difference side by side would be subtle unless viewed at 50% or so...and you may not see the difference. The method whitens the whites, and ups the contrast on the iris. Makes the eyes sharper without actually sharpening them. It's the best method I have run across to date.
  • ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    ladytx wrote:
    Tried an eye sharpening technique that Jeff explained in another thread on Stephanie's eyes, lips and beads. Any critique on the results?

DSC07268.jpg

Looks as if I lost the revised photo in it's original size so I can't make the post bigger but here is the unrevised version in approximately the same size. The difference in the beads I think is the most visible at this size.

DSC07268before.jpg
    LadyTX
    edited August 21, 2008
    Is this the curves adjustment layer and mask technique?

Yes, using quick mask, high pass sharpen, and curves.
    have my own method for skin softening/smoothing,

Ok, now that we have your secret to eye sharpening how about letting us in on your secret skin tricks?mwink.gif

Thanks for the comments Jeff, much appreciated.
    LadyTX
    edited August 21, 2008
    The contrast in the eyes is noticable at this resolution.

How did the eye treatment effect the beads....I usually mask so that the treatment only effects the eyes....then only do a global high pass sharpening?
    edited August 21, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    The contrast in the eyes is noticable at this resolution.

How did the eye treatment effect the beads....I usually mask so that the treatment only effects the eyes....then only do a global high pass sharpening?

I masked them off separately and applied the same treatment as to the eyes. Did the same with the lips. All masked separately so I could control each.
    LadyTX
    edited August 21, 2008
    ladytx wrote:
    Yes, using quick mask, high pass sharpen, and curves.

Ok, now that we have your secret to eye sharpening how about letting us in on your secret skin tricks?mwink.gif

Thanks for the comments Jeff, much appreciated.

Cocoa butter?rolleyes1.gif

Honestly, it is a plug in that I found long ago ..and since I'm on my kid's laptop right now can't even give you the name. I use it in tiny amounts....and usually only for subjects over 30. I prefer...instead of softening and blurring...to just not sharpen anything in a photo other than eyes, lips, brows, and hair. I use a mask for selective sharpening in other words.

for teeth whitening....I use an approach similar to the one in the tutorial above, but begin by using the sponge tool set to desaturate...about 15% first.
    edited August 21, 2008
    ladytx wrote:
    I masked them off separately and applied the same treatment as to the eyes. Did the same with the lips. All masked separately so I could control each.

It can be time consuming....right?

...but the results!!!!
    edited August 21, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    It can be time consuming....right?

...but the results!!!!

The more you do it the faster you get at it ... yep, I sure do like the results. Thanks for the info above. I usually do a layer in soft light and paint with white for the teeth. Will be checking out the tutorial you listed and others there and the 15% desat you mentioned. Always love new (to me) ideas and tricks. Love photoshop and can spend too many hours playing but what I really need to do is learn photography because my goal is to get the photos to come out-of-camera the way they come out-of-Photoshop. I need a lot of help in the photography area!!
    LadyTX
    edited August 21, 2008
    ladytx wrote:
    The more you do it the faster you get at it ... yep, I sure do like the results. Thanks for the info above. I usually do a layer in soft light and paint with white for the teeth. Will be checking out the tutorial you listed and others there and the 15% desat you mentioned. Always love new (to me) ideas and tricks. Love photoshop and can spend too many hours playing but what I really need to do is learn photography because my goal is to get the photos to come out-of-camera the way they come out-of-Photoshop. I need a lot of help in the photography area!!

Laughing.gif...in my experience, the shots that look the best straight from the camera are the ones you can squeeze the most out of in photoshop...and are the most fun to experiment with.
    edited August 21, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Laughing.gif...in my experience, the shots that look the best straight from the camera are the ones you can squeeze the most out of in photoshop...and are the most fun to experiment with.

I sure do love to play in Photoshop. I will start editing and start playing with different effects on a photo and a couple hours later end up with all these different versions of that one photo and then realize I have about 300 more to edit. WOW ... that's gonna take a while!!! ...ne_nau.gifNeed discipline to just do initial editing and keep going !!!
    LadyTX
  • pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    for teeth whitening....I use an approach similar to the one in the tutorial above, but begin by using the sponge tool set to desaturate...about 15% first.

One method that will save you a step is to select the teeth (I like Quick Mask
    mode for this) and create a Hue/Sat layer with the selection active. Now you
    can both desaturate and lighten the teeth in one dialog box. You can also target
    just the yellows with this method, which makes the desaturation look a bit more
    natural.
    edited August 22, 2008
    pyrtek wrote:
    One method that will save you a step is to select the teeth (I like Quick Mask
    mode for this) and create a Hue/Sat layer with the selection active. Now you
    can both desaturate and lighten the teeth in one dialog box. You can also target
    just the yellows with this method, which makes the desaturation look a bit more
    natural.

Thanks for the info Bernard. Tried it this morning and it works nicely. Love these informative threads.
    LadyTX