Options

Google Analytics delaying Smugmug?

redcrownredcrown Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
edited September 4, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Sometimes when my Smugmug pages display slowly I see Transfering from www.google-analytics.com in by browser status bar. Looks like Smugmug page display is waiting on google.

I do not have Google Analytics enabled in my custom scripts.

I do have Statcounter code, and sometimes my page displays delay for several seconds waiting on Statcounter.

Why is Smugmug hitting google analytics when I do not have code for it? Can I turn it off?

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    Hi Kelly,

Don't worry, the Google Analytics connection that you see in your browser shouldn't delay the load times of your galleries. It is loaded after everything else has been loaded and helps us to keep an eye on SmugMugs popularity.

I hope this helps,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    Hi Kelly,

Don't worry, the Google Analytics connection that you see in your browser shouldn't delay the load times of your galleries. It is loaded after everything else has been loaded and helps us to keep an eye on SmugMugs popularity.

I hope this helps,
    Sebastian

Sebastian, I wish that were true, but I do not believe it is actually true. I too occasionally see my pages just sitting there completely empty and doing absolutely nothing and the status bar say it's trying to load something from Google Analytics.

Isn't it true that browsers have a limitied number of simultaneous connections and therefore, pretty much any connection can hold up the loading of the page unless it's an Ajax connection that's done after the page is loaded?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    I have the same problem with pixel.quantserve.com and the google analytics preventing images to load on my site. I have tried to get it resolved through the helpdesk but they cannot pin it down.

I have sent them traceroutes and line quality tests and all looks fine, but I still get the problems of the images not loading and these two items are always in the status bar when this happens.
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited September 3, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Sebastian, I wish that were true, but I do not believe it is actually true. I too occasionally see my pages just sitting there completely empty and doing absolutely nothing and the status bar say it's trying to load something from Google Analytics.

Isn't it true that browsers have a limitied number of simultaneous connections and therefore, pretty much any connection can hold up the loading of the page unless it's an Ajax connection that's done after the page is loaded?
    so, if you as a customer have google analytics in your footer, there's nothing we can do to prevent it from firing inline and potentially blocking other requests. SmugMugs tracker fires after the main image is loaded so it shouldnt negatively impact page loading. We have plans to address this.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    bigwebguy wrote:
    so, if you as a customer have google analytics in your footer, there's nothing we can do to prevent it from firing inline and potentially blocking other requests. SmugMugs tracker fires after the main image is loaded so it shouldnt negatively impact page loading. We have plans to address this.

Hmmm. I've looked at the StatCounter code and I presume it's similar to google analytics and quantserve. Would it not be possible to make those calls be asynchronous (like Ajax calls) so there's no way they can block the loading of the page? For StatCounter (which is what I use to track stats), it would require making a copy of their code, modifying it and copying it into my JS rather than linking to their hosted version, but it seems like a possibility.

Couldn't you guys do something similar for the quantserve stuff that you use?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited September 3, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Hmmm. I've looked at the StatCounter code and I presume it's similar to google analytics and quantserve. Would it not be possible to make those calls be asynchronous (like Ajax calls) so there's no way they can block the loading of the page? For StatCounter (which is what I use to track stats), it would require making a copy of their code, modifying it and copying it into my JS rather than linking to their hosted version, but it seems like a possibility.

Couldn't you guys do something similar for the quantserve stuff that you use?
    we have plans :D
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    bigwebguy wrote:
    so, if you as a customer have google analytics in your footer,there's nothing we can do to prevent it from firing inline and potentially blocking other requests.
    I have a standard account (ie no customisation) and I've also had this delay many times...