Volleyball 8/22

jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
edited August 27, 2008 in Sports
I am feeling rusty shooting volleyball right now, but there will be plenty of opportunities to shack the rust off.

356609947_q9STm-L.jpg

356609285_JSwUd-L.jpg

356608480_bsvj2-L.jpg

356610621_2UXaF-L.jpg

356612179_GuhcR-L.jpg

Comments

• donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    Now you got me excited. Some of them seem a bit red. Are you using strobes of just available light?
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    It was available light and it was a dungeon. However, the D700 at 6400 ISO and the 85 1.8 serviced me well. I noticed the AF seems to better than the D300 as I had many more in focus picures with the D700 than D300 or D50 using the 85 for sports.

I think the redness may be do to a +1 saturation setting I had the camera in. Not going to do it next time. I had to pull back the saturation PP and after a while, the pics started to look the same after staying up to 2 am to work on them.rolleyes1.gif
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    4 & 5 are the most interesting for me.
    1 doesn't really have anything interesting going on.
    2 - timing is to late if your subject is the spiker and the angle doesn't work if the subject were the blockers
    4 is the most compelling of the bunch. Really nice shot there!
    edited August 22, 2008
    jonh68 wrote:
    It was available light and it was a dungeon. However, the D700 at 6400 ISO and the 85 1.8 serviced me well. I noticed the AF seems to better than the D300 as I had many more in focus picures with the D700 than D300 or D50 using the 85 for sports.

I think the redness may be do to a +1 saturation setting I had the camera in. Not going to do it next time. I had to pull back the saturation PP and after a while, the pics started to look the same after staying up to 2 am to work on them.rolleyes1.gif

I bought a D300 and I've been thinking about getting a D700. I found the AF on the D300 to be much better than my D200. To do better than that would be impressive. The only thing I'm not certain of is what lenses I'm going to loose on that body. I don't own any DX Nikon glass, but my 85mm f 1.4 has a D on it and I'm not sure if my 30mm f1.4 sigma lens will have the crop or go full frame.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

edited August 23, 2008
    4 & 5 are the most interesting for me.
    1 doesn't really have anything interesting going on.
    2 - timing is to late if your subject is the spiker and the angle doesn't work if the subject were the blockers
    4 is the most compelling of the bunch. Really nice shot there!

Thanks! I am not thrilled about those shots either, I was more pleased with the camera in those shots. I had better shots I sent to the paper, more of the before and afters.
    edited August 23, 2008
    I bought a D300 and I've been thinking about getting a D700. I found the AF on the D300 to be much better than my D200. To do better than that would be impressive. The only thing I'm not certain of is what lenses I'm going to loose on that body. I don't own any DX Nikon glass, but my 85mm f 1.4 has a D on it and I'm not sure if my 30mm f1.4 sigma lens will have the crop or go full frame.

I would get the D700 in a heartbeat no matter what lenses you have. Heck, it made my 18-200 look good in low light. If you are not a pixel counter and don't mind the loss, it works well with DX glass. You do sacrifice resolution, but that only matters on huge prints. I sent my photo editor samples of the camera at ISO 6400 using the 18-200 and she said it was impressive.
  • stevehappstevehapp Registered Users Posts: 635 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2008
    That is impressive for such a high ISO.
    top job.
    Canon 40D, 50mm f/1.8, 400mm f/5.6L, sigma 105mm Macro.
    Blog + Twitter
    edited August 26, 2008
    jonh68 wrote:
    I would get the D700 in a heartbeat no matter what lenses you have. Heck, it made my 18-200 look good in low light. If you are not a pixel counter and don't mind the loss, it works well with DX glass. You do sacrifice resolution, but that only matters on huge prints. I sent my photo editor samples of the camera at ISO 6400 using the 18-200 and she said it was impressive.

Bought one on Saturday and I have my first volleyball game on Thursday. I'm probably going to set up strobes anyway. I'm really excited about the wide angle shots I hope to get. If the strobes don't work, I'll bounce a flash to get the shadows off the faces. I can't wait.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

edited August 27, 2008
    donek wrote:
    Bought one on Saturday and I have my first volleyball game on Thursday. I'm probably going to set up strobes anyway. I'm really excited about the wide angle shots I hope to get. If the strobes don't work, I'll bounce a flash to get the shadows off the faces. I can't wait.

I think you are going to love the camera. Most people say the D300 is about 95% of the camera the D700 is. That may be true for low ISO, but there is a HUGE difference in what you can get at very high ISO. It makes slow lenses fast and fast lenses sing. I think it opens up a whole new level of creativity and the type of shots that can be made. My D50 is closer to the D300 than the D300 is to the D700, IMHO.