NC Appalachian mountains view

NikonMamaNikonMama Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited August 22, 2008 in Landscapes
I don't post on this forum very often but I do lurk occasionally. We recently took a trip to Grandfather mountain and I didn't get to take as many photos as I would have liked. My kids didn't appreciate the beauty of nature as much as they appreciated the gift shop =) So, basically I just grabbed a few quick snapshots to commemorate our trip. I did get one shot that I actually kind of like. I wish I could have taken the time to frame it better but over all I really like it. I rarely ever shoot any for of landscape or nature shot. Mostly I do a lot of candids of my kids and that is about it. So, I was curious to get some opinions on this photo.

p674429714-4.jpg

Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    Ones eye would travel out to the distant hazed (sfumato) of the mountains if the could above had more contrast in the sky. Even more of a place to go to in the distance drawing your eye to the furthest ridge.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • davidryandavidryan Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    Hi Nikonmama--

Ah, I do love the Apps! I'm originally from back East and though I live at the foot of the Rockies now, the Appalachians have a beauty unique of their own that I remember fondly.

As Don mentioned, the haze is an issue-- however, there is a simple way to possibly get rid of that next time (if there is a next time!). I keep a circular polarizer on my lenses all the time (both for protection and for making colors richer and truer). I don't know the angle of the sun in this shot but it looks like mid-day and a polarizer would have worked well. Another way is to have a cloud-ridden sky, but if you could control that, you wouldn't be wasting your time on here :-)

Love the shot anyway-- thank you for posting.

Ryan
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    davidryan wrote:
    Hi Nikonmama--

Ah, I do love the Apps! I'm originally from back East and though I live at the foot of the Rockies now, the Appalachians have a beauty unique of their own that I remember fondly.

As Don mentioned, the haze is an issue-- however, there is a simple way to possibly get rid of that next time (if there is a next time!). I keep a circular polarizer on my lenses all the time (both for protection and for making colors richer and truer). I don't know the angle of the sun in this shot but it looks like mid-day and a polarizer would have worked well. Another way is to have a cloud-ridden sky, but if you could control that, you wouldn't be wasting your time on here :-)

Love the shot anyway-- thank you for posting.

Ryan
    I don't have an issue with the haze, but the lack of detail, contrast in the clouds above the horizon. The added cloud deatil would help draw the eye back there.

IMHO,
    Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    i like haze....

but i think just turning down the color temp will help imo.

maybe clone out the stick in the lower portion that will help from detracting from the view.ne_nau.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    DonRicklin wrote:
    I don't have an issue with the haze, but the lack of detail, contrast in the clouds above the horizon. The added cloud deatil would help draw the eye back there.

IMHO,
    Don

I agree with Don. I would add that the power line/metal pole or whatever it is in the bottom of the image is quite distracting. My keeps going there to figure out what it is. The horizon is forgotten.
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers