Options

Tablet recommendations

dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
edited August 22, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
Is a tablet the best way to use Photoshop?

Anyone have a favorite tablet they use for Photoshop?

Comments

• Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    I went for years without a tablet. It really depends what kind of post processing you do/need in Photoshop. I would bet that many people here do not have a tablet and are fine without one.

I now have a Wacom Intuous3 6x11 tablet and like it a lot. Somethings are certainly better with a tablet such as having pressure sensitivity. I like a tablet a lot for creating paths with the pen tool. It still takes some getting used to though. I originally tried a very small tablet and opted for a larger tablet, simply because it allowed me to do bigger pen strokes. I chose the 6x11 size because the aspect ratio is most similar to my wide-screen monitor.

The Intuous3 has the greatest level of pen sensitivity compared to the Graphire models, but to be honest, for what I do, I don't think the greater sensitivity makes much difference. I do think the larger size was worth my money, though.
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    I personally went with the Bamboo model. I believe it replaced the Graphire line. For my money it is great. I believe it isn't quite as sensitive, and it doesn't recognize the tilt. For me that isn't a deal breaker, if you were trying to draw or paint with it it might. I really like being able to set the pressure to flow. This makes it easier to do subtle edits that you can have stack.
  • Options
    zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    i have the graphire3 and love it but you dont really NEED it for photoshop..i will still use the mouse in PS for stuff. the pen comes in really handy for erasing and selecting.. painting too.
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    i use an older model of wacom tablet in a 4x6 model and i would not go back to trying to do anything with a mouse.......oh that is right I sh** canned the mouse for a trackball...but still I do not use the TB for any photoshop work...just the tablet and pen......I am now trying to decide if I want the Cintiq or a tablet pc..........

I do feel, at times, that the 4x6 tablet is a tad too small..................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website