Options

Nav Bar page indicator

jarazjaraz Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited August 25, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Ok, this may be a stupid question but I've started to add a simple navigation bar to my site which includes this great little feature of highlighting the page your'e on. In other words if you're on the Home page then Home is highlighted in the navigation bar. Makes sense, right? The problem is that when you then click Galleries, "Home" is still highlighted.

My investigation has led me to realize this is happening for the very simple reason of that is what the HTML & CSS currently tell it to do. I have also found that you can easily fix this by adding a Class to each link in the list. The problem is that I can't figure out a way to add a Class to the body tag for my Galleries page or other pages (once I create them).

Is there a way to do this on Smugmug?

Thanks.
Jared

jaredsaftchick.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    scwalterscwalter Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2008
    Are you using the duplicate homepage trick? I'm not sure how to add a class to that, but a work-around would be to put all your galleries in a category and then just highlight the menu when that category is active. I do this on my page with several categories. If you just click the top line in my navbar (or the first link under each one "all XXX galleries ") you'll see that the navbar highlights based on the active category. If you look at my CSS you can see how I do it.

-Scott
    Scott Walter Photography
    scwalter.smugmug.com
  • Options
    jarazjaraz Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2008
    Thanks Scott. I am using the duplicate homepage trick which could explain the issue.

I haven't been using Categories because I don't like the way Categories work in Smugmug. In my opinion, Categories are a great filing tool but not the best for displaying your Galleries as I think it makes navigation non-intuitive for the user.

However, I noticed that you're using them a little different as you just put the Category in the navbar rather then using the duplicate homepage trick to display your Categories. Not a bad idea! Except you still can't have a Gallery in multiple Categories which is another reason I wasn't using them to begin with.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

ps. I really like the style of the slideshow on your homepage. did you use SlideshowPro to create that?