Old Rusty

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grinsBournemouth, UKPosts: 0 Major grins
edited August 23, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
It is in fact a crane, which according to its builders plate is over 90 years old

img_4429.jpg

It sits on the cliff top (about 50ft above the sea) at Portland Bill, Dorset and is used to lower boats into the water (12 - 15feet boats). Much of the workings have rusted solid and I don't think it would ever pass any modern day tests that cranes are supposed to take to prove they are safe to operate.

Hope you enjoy

Tim

Comments

• InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    I'd love to see some more shots of this if you have any. I bet this thing is really cool. Do you have any of the whole crane?
  • chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    Looks really cool. I'd like to see more shots of that operation, or non operation as it were, myself.
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Bournemouth, UKPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2008
    I have a couple, will post tonight as I of out shortly.

Tim
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2008
    draggin wrote:
    It is in fact a crane, which according to its builders plate is over 90 years old

It sits on the cliff top (about 50ft above the sea) at Portland Bill, Dorset and is used to lower boats into the water (12 - 15feet boats). Much of the workings have rusted solid and I don't think it would ever pass any modern day tests that cranes are supposed to take to prove they are safe to operate.

Hope you enjoy

Tim

Rusty is such a cool thing, well maybe not in a car it's not,
    but photographically it creates great texture shots.

I'd be tempted to clone out that bit of buiding in the bottom left hand corner of the image.

Good Shot thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Bournemouth, UKPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2008
    OK a couple more of Old Rusty

This is a modded version of the origanal with the cottage roof cropped out

img_4429_v2.jpg

I tried to get all of Old Rusty in the picture but was unable to step back any further as I was on the edge!!

img_4426.jpg

Completely rusted, I think this was the drum for raising and lowering the boom which is now fixed height via a chain

img_4427.jpg

I could not get a clear shot hear but you can see the built date of 1917

img_4425.jpg

Here is a view of Old Rusty from a distance, I think the crane was used in the quarry around the area (Portland Stone) and probably bought by the fishermen at some stage and moved to the top of the cliff, alternatively it may have been built here and used for loading the boats to take it to Weymouth, there is a very steep hill to negotiate even if it is downhill, if the stone was taken by road.

img_4397.jpg

I hope you have enjoyed them

Tim
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2008