Looking for Category and Subcategory feature input

Comments

• Lou GonzalezLou Gonzalez Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    I'm not arguing against having Smugmug support this multiple gallery creation themselves, but I do exactly what you are asking for in StarExplorer. When I post the photos from a soccer season, I typically end up with ~20 galleries all in one sub-category. In StarExplorer, I can create all 20 galleries with identical settings all at once. I just type each name, one per line into a text box, click off the settings I want and hit go and it creates them all for me.

That's great. I've looked at Star Explorer but it wasn't intuitive to me. Sounds simple enough though from your description. Maybe I'll give it another look, but... it would be great if Smugmug could do it then it would be one less external program I'd have to use.
  • DZuckerDZucker Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    I haven't had time to read through all 4 pages, so I'm sorry if these requests have already been mentionned.

- I'd like the ability to choose the thumbnail photo (for galleries, categories and sub-categories) from a place-holder gallery of my choice and not have to select it from its child gallery.

- I'd also like the option to have the sub-categories appear just like regular galleries and not have them displayed in a seperate division from the other galleries.
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    DZucker wrote:
    - I'd like the ability to choose the thumbnail photo (for galleries, categories and sub-categories) from a place-holder gallery of my choice and not have to select it from its child gallery.
    You can do this now, move the thumb you want into a gallery, feature it, then
    move it to your place-holder gallery. Put in it's caption where you used it.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • bkatzbkatz Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    1) Deeper levels is a must for me.

2) An archive function - which I think is really a virtual gallery but without coding (becomes too much to track) - what I mean -->

Currently I sort my sports pictures by sport-->town-->team (gallery with date of game) - Deeper levels means I can have a sub-category per team but I would also like the time line function of being able to put a level sorted by time lets say Spring 2008 season and move the galleries from the team into that which appears under 2008 so sport-->town-->spring 2008-->event galleries etc.

3) This can also lead to galleries and sub-cats appearing in multiple places for example 2008-->Soccer-->Chatham-->gallery passwords would stick with the gallery.

4)I do like the idea of category/sub-cat passwords but I would then have gallery passwords trump them. Multiple passwords for a gallery would be awesome but may be off-topic for you.

5) I definitely like the idea of multiple gallery creation page or the ability to copy a tree structure - (John - StarExplorer doesn't work on a MAC).

6) Removing pre-defined galleries is nice but not needed
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    Allen wrote:

But you can't specify which thumb shows for a category, can you?

You can for a gallery and your trick will work when you want a thumb for a gallery that isn't an image in the gallery. But, that isn't the category thumb.

And the category will pick one of the galleries within it for a thumb, but I'd like a different thumb for the category than any of the galleries within it and I'd like the thumb for the category to be independent of the gallery order I specify inside the category since that gets organized for best layout of the view of galleries.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • DZuckerDZucker Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    Allen wrote:

This works. Thanks for the tip. Would you also know how to change the thumbnail for the Category or Sub-Category so that it's different from thumbnails in its child galleries?
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    DZucker wrote:
    This works. Thanks for the tip. Would you also know how to change the thumbnail for the Category or Sub-Category so that it's different from thumbnails in its child galleries?
    I think the category and sub-cats use the thumb of the first gallery under it.
    jfriend mentioned that it would be great if the cats and sub-cats could be assigned
    their own thumb, I agree.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • bch2300bch2300 Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited September 6, 2008
    requests? :)
    Balmer wrote:
    ...open up our category/subcategory system to make it more flexible, powerful, all that stuff...

My requests... some of which are similar to others' requests-

>>>> Another Base Level
    Any way you add another level would be great, but personally, I would like to see a base level added that keeps the current structure in place--
    Instead of this (current):: category > subcategory > gallery
    something more like this:: collection > category > subcategory > gallery
    Doing this, each collection could be a homepage widget, and everyone's existing structure could be kept (unchanged!), and put in a default collection making transition pretty easy :)

>>>> (sub)Category Properties, such as:
    -Description:
    -Password:
    -Visibility: (show / hide)
    -Thumb Size: (100 / 200 / 300 / etc...)
    -Layout: (grid / list / etc...)
    -Show Child Descriptions in Layout: (yes / no)
    -Stretch Layout to Fit Monitor: (yes / no)
    -Sort Order: (name / date) (ascending / descending) << Please!
    -Default "Quick Settings" for child galleries
    -Mix Galleries / Categories: (yes / no)
    -Thumb Image: ((html link to the image?>>

maybe more...maybe less...?

>>>> Sub-GALLERIES
    A gallery that maintains all the properties of the parent gallery, but only shows a subset of the images. Think of a soccer game gallery--maybe it has 200 images that all belong in one gallery (that game), but also could be further divided by player. This would make it easier for potential customers to quickly browse (and buy!) pics of their player. :) It would also be useful for weddings and other events- No additional settings or properties needed, a sub-gallery would be exactly the same as the gallery, but only show a selected set of the images. Sort of a "filter" for the images in that gallery...
    As for creation, this would be fairly simple for the user-- an option/page similar to the "move to other galleries" where they select some photos and assign them a sub-gallery name...

>>>> An option to remove unused (sub)category names (including default names) from the (sub)category lists. The list just gets cumbersome to look through--and sometimes the drop down lists are sorted by name, sometimes by creation date...

>>>> Make it not so cumbersome to add/edit/browse (sub)categories... It is so hard just to see your current structure when I think you could dump an html page (with links) pretty easy...kind of like a category map. Something like this (each name being a link to that item):

collection1
    ...category1
    ......subcategory1
    ......subcategory2
    ......subcategory3
    ...category2
    ......subcategory4

collection2
    ...category3
    ......subcategory1
    ...category4
    ......subcategory3

you could even allow modifications with "add" "rename" "duplicate" commands that pop-up to the right on a mouse over (sort of like some of the new smugvault stuff)... but even so, just being able to see your current category tree would be a huge improvement...

Thoroughly confused? :D

Thanks for your consideration and efforts-
    bh
  • pancamopancamo Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited September 6, 2008
    Great! I tried using galleries/subgalleries, but it was too much work and confusing and it was impossible to use 1 photo in multiple galleries without uploading duplicate photos I switched to using keywords...

VIRTUAL GALLERIES !

I would like to see virtual galleries...

Here's what I would like to see:

Basically, allow us to define a criteria for which photos should be included in a gallery using a query... much like LR2 smart collections...

For example, let say I want to create a gallery of a photo shoot of that I took of "Julie" that was taken in Houston. I would create a gallery called "JulieInHouston, and in the gallery setting, I would add a setting/query like : "Keyword contains Julie and Location is Houston" which would search all my photos... I may also want a gallery of Julie (Keyword=Julie), or maybe just a gallery of Houston (Location=Houston)... Virtual galleries will allow me to make any type of gallery I need...

Use any Metadata/EXIF parameter to search on...

When mysite.smugmug.com/JulieInHouston is referenced, only the photos matching the query would be displayed.

All the gallery operations on a gallery would stay the same...

This way you don't need to create multiple levels of galleries, just create as many galleries as you need... virtually...

Balmer wrote:
    Hey dgrinners! My name is Dave Balmer, and I'm a new sorcerer here at SmugMug. My first big task is to open up our category/subcategory system to make it more flexible, powerful, all that stuff. Along the way, I'd like to make the whole process of creating, arranging and renaming categories smoother.

I've been lurking in a lot of threads on the subject, and already have some great stuff to work with. I'm looking for some more feedback from anyone who's ever been confused by or just wanted more from what we have in today's category/subcategory/gallery structure.

Fire away! :rambo
  • TCSTCS Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    Is it possible to hide - unlist an entire subcategory at once? (many galleries in it, labor intensive)....

I too would like extra levels.

Christine
    edited November 5, 2008
    Balmer wrote:
    Hey dgrinners! My name is Dave Balmer, and I'm a new sorcerer here at SmugMug. My first big task is to open up our category/subcategory system to make it more flexible, powerful, all that stuff. Along the way, I'd like to make the whole process of creating, arranging and renaming categories smoother.

I've been lurking in a lot of threads on the subject, and already have some great stuff to work with. I'm looking for some more feedback from anyone who's ever been confused by or just wanted more from what we have in today's category/subcategory/gallery structure.

Balmer,

So it's been a couple of months since the inception of this thread. Is there any progress that you can report on???

Thanks!
  • HaraldEHaraldE Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    Morning

I agree with Lou ... it would be very interesting to get some status on the work, thanks

Regards, Harald
    ==================
    My focus is on digitizing memories
  • encosionencosion Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    HaraldE wrote:
    Myself, I would very much like to upload all my photos to SmugMug and store them in a strict but un-friendly structure. Then create a virtual structure which makes them easy to view and find and allow the same photo in many places ... that would be just great fun (;=))
    Hahah! Totally... I'm kinda hacking my standard account's front page BIO section to control which categories I display and which I hide... But onto the meat... I know I'm late to the party but thought I'd weigh in on a couple things that have always bugged me... And a couple neat ideas I picked up from this thread:

1) Larger thumbs!

2) Featured photo for the CATEGORY / SUB-CATEGORY

3) Descriptions for CATEGORIES / SUB-CATEGORIES

4) SUB-SUB-CATEGORIES! I've been able to get along fine so far, but it would sure help if I could go one level deeper in places...

5) Password protection on a CATEGORY / SUB-CATEGORY level protecting everything inside

6) Get rid of pre-defined but unused CATEGORIES... You can instead simply give people hints on what to call their new CATEGORIES when they're trying to create them if it's even necessary!

7) Ability to auto-sort the galleries within a CATEGORY / SUB-CATEGORY... I label my galleries by date (like "2008.11.11 Subject of Gallery") and prefer to have the newest galleries up top... Each time I upload a new gallery I have to use the arrange function and shift it up to the top... Auto-sort!

8) A re-useable widget for selecting a gallery that takes into account the CATEGORY / SUBCATEGORY structure! Currently, when moving a photo from one gallery to another you're presented with a seemingly un-ordered drop-down list of all galleries (seemingly without respect for CATEGORIES / SUB-CATEGORIES)... External sites and apps should be able to access this widget too! (http://animoto.com/, Facebook Apps, etc...)

9) And finally, RSS feeds for CATEGORIES / SUB-CATEGORIES that work like this one: http://[nickname].smugmug.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=nickname&Data=[nickname]&format=rss200 but are limited to recent galleries within a specific CATEGORY... Or better yet, be able to hack a feed to include the same info but from multiple CATEGORIES!
    Canon EOS 500D (Kiss X3)
    85mm f/1.8, 17-50 + 28-75m
    f/2.8 lenses
    iMac 24" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme, 4Gb RAM, OSX 10.5.7
    http://encosion.com/ | http://encosion.smugmug.com/
  • BalmerBalmer Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    Balmer,

So it's been a couple of months since the inception of this thread. Is there any progress that you can report on???

Thanks!

We want to do this right, and it's turning into a much bigger effort than we originally thought because of how deeply changes to cat/subcats impacts site navigation and other features. We've put a lot of thought into the design and have made some good progress, but it's a beast. The upside is, when we get 'er done, I think you're going to be really pleased. mwink.gif

That said, timing-wise, I've switched over to a another highly requested and long-standing Pro feature request which will be coming out soon. After that, I should be back on the cat/subcat case. I hope you agree when you do see it that it was worth the wait. thumb.gif
    edited November 25, 2008
    Balmer wrote:
    We want to do this right, and it's turning into a much bigger effort than we originally thought because of how deeply changes to cat/subcats impacts site navigation and other features. We've put a lot of thought into the design and have made some good progress, but it's a beast. The upside is, when we get 'er done, I think you're going to be really pleased. mwink.gif

That said, timing-wise, I've switched over to a another highly requested and long-standing Pro feature request which will be coming out soon. After that, I should be back on the cat/subcat case. I hope you agree when you do see it that it was worth the wait. thumb.gif

Well thanks for the update! I'm certain others were wondering. Glad to hear that you're making progress. BTW - if it's that big, is it possible we can review it in draft somewhere? Before it get's rolloed out? Kind of like blogger in draft?

And do you mind me asking what pro feature request you're working on??? mwink.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    And do you mind me asking what pro feature request you're working on??? mwink.gif
    Sorry, we can't comment, but, "stay tuned!" :andy
    edited November 25, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Sorry, we can't comment, but, "stay tuned!" :andy

Ah well I had to try! Chalk it up to inpatience. Thanks for all you do Andy!
  • PB MediaPB Media Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    As I posted in another thread a while ago:

The current way to manage categories and sub categories is pretty clumsy.

Instead of the drop down menus to create, delete, and rename categories on the 'custom categories' page, having all the categories and subcategories in a list/table in an outline format on a single page with categories furthest left, then subcatagories or galleries, then galleries in subcategories, (even those sub-gallery pages, so it's no longer a hack) with icons to delete, rename, or edit would make category and gallery management so much simpler.

Pricing should also be done this way, maybe in a tab of that page. Having to set prices for a gallery, then apply prices from that gallery to other galleries seems more complicated and confusing than it should be. It would be nice if you could have different pricing sets...ie: Sports, Fine Art and apply them to certain categories, sub categories, and galleries simply, in that list/outline structure.
    my smugmug: PB media
  • ChrisRabiorChrisRabior Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    I was bummed I didn't see this until now, but happy to see most of the things I'd like to see (like associating categories with price levels, additional heirarchy levels, and most specifically better control over how cat/subcat/galleries are arranged).

Can't wait to see what ends up being updated.
  • scottycamscottycam Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    fwiw.. How about disabling right click protection when you're logged in? I find myself having to go back in, turn it off, right click and save the image, then going back in and turning it back on.

Thanks...
  • HaraldEHaraldE Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    scottycam wrote:
    fwiw.. How about disabling right click protection when you're logged in? I find myself having to go back in, turn it off, right click and save the image, then going back in and turning it back on.

Thanks...
    Morning Scotty,

Not sure why you want to do this? When you are logged in you have the Owner Save button in that small photo window. It is there regardless of if you have Right-Click on or off

Regards, Harald
    ==================
    My focus is on digitizing memories
  • tarheelstarheels Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 2, 2009
    1 more level of subcategories
    Support for one more level of subcategories would be great!
  • JEphotographyJEphotography Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    Category names
    I would like to have only the categories that I want to have and that I have created. For example, when you create a new gallery there is a ton of options that don't have anything to do with my needs and are just in the way. Having all the categories available when I don't need them is "stuff" that I don't need.

thanks for the hard work!

Jonathan
  • exposedphotoexposedphoto Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited February 17, 2009
    Deeper hierarchy
    tarheels wrote:
    Support for one more level of subcategories would be great!

I agree with this except I think at-least 2 more levels would be nice!
    edited February 17, 2009
    I would like to have only the categories that I want to have and that I have created. For example, when you create a new gallery there is a ton of options that don't have anything to do with my needs and are just in the way. Having all the categories available when I don't need them is "stuff" that I don't need.
    Seconded!
    Canon EOS 500D (Kiss X3)
    f/2.8 lenses
  • buffaloworksbuffaloworks Registered Users Posts: 14 Beginner grinner
    edited March 8, 2009
    default categories
    This, I believe, has been stated in a number of posts and in a number of methods, but I would like to be able to eliminate and/or edit the categories provided by Smugmug. Just because I am a bit anal I would like to have everything matching. I currently have all of my top level categories in all caps, but I am wanting to add a sports category for a new venture and I cannot add the word SPORTS as my own category because it already exists.
    edited March 9, 2009
    I currently have all of my top level categories in all caps, but I am wanting to add a sports category for a new venture and I cannot add the word SPORTS as my own category because it already exists.
    There is a very simple solution for you - use the standard 'Sports' category, just apply a CSS style to transform it's appearance into all caps (text-transform: uppercase)
    Canon EOS 500D (Kiss X3)
    f/2.8 lenses
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    encosion wrote:
    There is a very simple solution for you - use the standard 'Sports' category, just apply a CSS style to transform it's appearance into all caps (text-transform: uppercase)
    I looked at that too, but there are several places where the category name is not styled separately from other text like "Sports Categories" so you'd have to have everything in uppercase.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • poleinajeeppoleinajeep Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    I have been thinking about this for a while.

I too am frustrated with Smugmugs architecture (i love everything else!).

The complete solution to everyones desires with the whole category/sub-category game with Nth level structure is to adopt a flickr style architecture.

The biggest issue for me is that when i organize my photos to best show them off i find that many photos fit on more than one category (like "zoos" and "animals" for example). In order to make sure a visitor finds everything they need, I feel the need to make multiple copies of one picture just so i can make sure that this particular photo appears in all the categories it fits in. I can't risk the visitor not seeing that photo just because they only clicked on only one of the categories that the photo fits in and not the others (only clicks on "animals" but not "zoos").

This creates multiple copies of the same photo. if I ever edit the photo and want to replace it in smugmug i have to look for all the instances of that photo throughout my page. This is annoying and it creates a risk that i will have some that were updated and some that i overlooked.

I love smugmug and i am not trying to compare it to flickr, but i love flickr's architecture.

i imagine it like this: a photo is uploaded into a big bucket if you will. The photos will remain safely unlisted, they will be stored but wont be shown, until I designate a folder or (Gallery) for that photo to appear in (here is also where i decide if its a public or private gallery). There is no limit to the numer of Galleries that one photo can appear in and furthermore, that gallery can be placed in a category or multiple categories just the same, and so forth (like sets in flickr). All the while there is only one instance of any uploaded photo, it just appears in multiple locations.

if you ever end up re-touching the photo, you can reload and replace that image in the overall bucket (photostream) and its automatically updated in all the galleries that it is called out in.

This would be the ultimate architecture in my mind, solving a lot if not all of the issues that have been mentioned in this thread.
  • srptopdogsrptopdog Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2009
    Easier Please
    Please make the entire process easier!

I think that probably 95% of the people here will agree with me in that the basic idea behind computer file management is folder in a folder in a folder, and so on. We all understand this concept. The currently method of setting up SM galleries, and sub galleries is not intuitive. I am a photographer, not a PC power user. As a pro user (subscriber) I don't need massively complicated file-sharing flexibility. Typically, I have PW protected galleries, and I have no need to have those images appearing anywhere outside of that gallery. Maybe a particular customer will rehire me and I may have a need to create a gallery inside my customer's top-level gallery if that is the case.

It has, however, been a real drag to set up my Portfolio with various galleries of my work. Ceratinly, as my pro work increases I can see the need to have clients access 'weddings' in the wedding category, and then find their particular even t and log-in... etc.

How about a more graphic-style interface? Maybe a folder tree that you could click on (like Lightroom, for example) so we could simply assign various photos to various positions/galleries/whatever.

I'm glad you will tackling this project. Welcome!

srptopdog
    Balmer wrote: