Options

Vosonic Portable Photo Storage VP5500

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited August 23, 2008 in Finishing School
I have just purchased a Vosonic portable storage VP5500 250GB. I use this if I am on a big shoot. I shoot RAW and am only able to get around 150 files on a 2GB card. When the card is full I insert it into the Vosonic storage and then I can clear my card and start again.
I use a 40D and as I have said I shoot RAW. The problem I have come up against is when I transfer the files from the Vosonic Storage onto the computer they come up as CR2 files and I am unable to preview them without first sending them into Photoshop. I find this most unhandy and time consuming.
I have tried changing from RAW to 'L' Jpeg and when I transfer these from the Vosonic Storage onto the computer they transfer perfectly and the type of file is: Graphics Interchange Format Image and I can open them in Preview without a problem.
What I would like to know is can I continue using RAW and getting rid of the CR2 files and if so what or where do I make the change.
Regards
Bob

Comments

• Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2008
    Bob,

First, don't get rid of your .CR2 files! These are your RAW files and if you truly want to benefit from using RAW, you need to keep these.

What operating system are you using? Windows? I had the same problem when I first purchased my 20D. It took awhile before 20D users could view their RAW files.

I did find this. Maybe this will fit the bill ...
  • Options
    canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2008
    digismile wrote:
    Bob,

First, don't get rid of your .CR2 files! These are your RAW files and if you truly want to benefit from using RAW, you need to keep these.

What operating system are you using? Windows? I had the same problem when I first purchased my 20D. It took awhile before 20D users could view their RAW files.

I did find this. Maybe this will fit the bill ...

Thanks for replying Brad. Yes I am using Windows. When I shoot RAW with my 40D and transfer straight from camera to computer the files first appear on DPP Digital Photo Professional. From there I upload them into 'My Pictures' and have no problem previewing them. I never see a CR2 file icon.
    Now with my 400D when I shoot RAW and transfer from camera to computer the files first appear in Zoom Browser Ex and they all appear as CR2 files. because of this I rarely use the 400D as it is such a time consuming exercise.
    I have tried clicking on 'this' which you sent, however, as soon as I click on it the download page appears and when I click on the download I completely lose the Dgrin forum and have to reopen Internet Explorer to return to the forum. Can anyone please help me to sort out these CR2 files.

Regards
    Bob