Options

lest we forget

2»

Comments

• Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    'gus,

Your set is fantastic! The 'sandy' handshake is superb!!
    Humungus wrote:
    April 25th is ANZAC day in 0z & Kiwiland ...& Gallipoli in Turkey.

I wont go into explaining it too deep but here is a web link. We lost 60 000 in WWI & for a country that only had a population of 5 million...that was a lot.

Between the 0zzies/kiwis/british & turkish....about 246 000 men died in an 8 month campain. Figues are very vague.
    The Jerusalem War Cemetary, on Mount Scopus, is the final resting place of 2,539 Allied soldiers killed in World War I (1914-1918), in and around Jerusalem; 2,178 British, 144 Australian, 34 New Zealand, 51 South African, 2 Indian, 41 British West Indian, 16 German, 5 Italian, 3 Turkish, and 65 unidentified

20723057-L.jpg

20723058-L.jpg

20723056-L.jpg

20723055-M.jpg

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    Tks Nir..i wasnt aware of that many allies buried at Mount Scopus.
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited April 28, 2005
    Love the shots Gus thumb.gifthumb.gif

Yeah, they could have been better in this way or that, but they sure tugged at my heartstrings. FWIW, it takes a really good picture to do that clap.gifclap.gif

I think you are right about the pride being evident. I could see it in some of their faces. That was a lousy war (as if there are good ones rolleyes1.gif ) and it wasn't their fault they had to go serve and in some cases die. IMO, the survivors have every right to be proud.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2005
    Tks mate....I agree.. you can sit & debate this way or that way & miss the entire show. The longer im sitting here doing stuff on this thing the less time i have to photograph.
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    Great photo's Gus, as you said, some seriously hard men.
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2005
    Tks shay...i had not been to a march in ages. I used to always be there as centotaph guard at the dawn sevice & it felt odd to be one of the crowd.

I am really champing at the bit to do it next time with the 135 f/2....i am starting to find the kit lenses limitations.
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Tks shay...i had not been to a march in ages. I used to always be there as centotaph guard at the dawn sevice & it felt odd to be one of the crowd.

I am really champing at the bit to do it next time with the 135 f/2....i am starting to find the kit lenses limitations.
    centotaph guard, was this when you were in the navy?

and if you don't mind another q, I am really curious about what lens you decided on. I think you have gone for primes and know you have done a lot of research?
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2005
    Yep & when i was doing time with the army...did some time with the AF also but never cerimonial.

I'll pm you re the lenses.
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Yep & when i was doing time with the army...did some time with the AF also but never cerimonial.

I'll pm you re the lenses.
    I was on the guard of honour for Ireland's first female president. We rehearsed for two months. The first day of rehearsals the sgt major walked onto the square with a bunch of blank charge sheets and told us that we were allowed one mistake.

I hadn't much hair anyway but I figured that I wouldn't get caught for a haircut so shaved my head. All went well on the day, live on tv, "pride of Ireland" according to the tv commentator,

I went to a night club that night and the bouncer took one look at me and said
    " you're not getting in here with that haircut son",

did I metion that I hate bouncers rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2005