Options

Color Management of purchased images

npudarnpudar Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
edited August 23, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Several related questions from a newbie on color management -- there is still something non-intuitive about all this stuff that I haven't yet compartmentalized in my head.

1) When I download (in Windows) the EZ-Prints-2008-1.icc file and right-click and select "Install", nothing seems to happen. Whenever I try it again, there is no "Uninstall" option, so it does not seem to be installing. Whenever I look for it in Photoshop (CS2), I do not see it as a selection. What should I be doing differently?

2) Here I would like to check my understanding of this color management stuff. First, I recently purchased an xRite eyeOne colorimeter. I have run it to calibrate my monitor. I am assuming that my monitor will automatically correctly display my sRGB, AdobeRGB, ProPhoto RGB, etc. embedded files. My assumption is that this is all about keeping the monitor functioning at its peak.

Similarly, I am assuiming that if I was able to install the EZ-Prints-2008-1.icc profile, all I need to do with it is observe it in the Proof views of Photoshop. My assumption is that EZPrints will correctly read my sRGB saved files and correctly render the colors during the printing process.

Or am I supposed to somehow embed the EZ-Prints-2008-1.icc profile into the image file?

The confusing aspect of all this is that I don't know what to do with icc files.

3) My software of choice these days is Lightroom 2.0. I use the SmugMug Plugin to upload my pictures. As long as I have my files saved in sRGB profile, and they look good to me on my calibrated monitor, do I need to do anything with the EZ-Prints-2008-1.icc profile so that the prints match what I see on the screen?

4) Finally, in Adobe's color management, if I open a file that is sRGB, and preserve the profile (not convert to Adobe RGB), will my calibrated monitor still show it correctly -- in other words, does Photoshop still work with it in sRGB mode?

Thanks in advance for putting up with my confusion.

Regards,
Nick
<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->