Simple question ??

WildWallyWildWally Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
edited August 24, 2008 in Holy Macro
OK , after all my bird/wildlife shots , and all my sport shots , I decided to try out macro shots.
Boy , am I hooked , and stumped at the same time !!!!:eek1 :confused

I went ahead and bought a Nikor 105/2.8vr macro , and now am trying to learn the ins and outs ..
#1 ... Tripod needed LOL
#2 ... Wind really suxx !!!!!
#3 ... the days of shooting F2.8 are all but gone !!!! LOL

I am getting better , but have a few questions , hence the topic ...

Will using a 1.7xTC , or 2xTC get me closer , or do I need extension tubes ???

Here is a shot I took yesterday , with the 105/2.8vr , hand-held (I also had an SB800 attatched , and set to ttl-fp-bl with diffuser attached). out of about 50 , maybe 10 came out o-k .. LOL
(I do have a Lumiquest pocket bouncer . Should I use , to get the flash far above the lens hood ???)
Any comments , and MANY suggestions needed !!!
357592921_rsnFm-XL.jpg

Now , these next 2 are with my long lens with TC's . It is much easier with a long lens !!! LOL But, I want closer !!!
this shot is with 510mm ...
352483769_CAbUD-XL.jpg

and this 1 , 400mm ...
174251672_zXFuG-L.jpg

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2008
    WildWally wrote:
    OK , after all my bird/wildlife shots , and all my sport shots , I decided to try out macro shots.
    Boy , am I hooked , and stumped at the same time !!!!:eek1 :confused

I went ahead and bought a Nikor 105/2.8vr macro , and now am trying to learn the ins and outs ..
    #1 ... Tripod needed Laughing.gif
    #2 ... Wind really suxx !!!!!
    #3 ... the days of shooting F2.8 are all but gone !!!! Laughing.gif

I am getting better , but have a few questions , hence the topic ...

Will using a 1.7xTC , or 2xTC get me closer , or do I need extension tubes ???

Here is a shot I took yesterday , with the 105/2.8vr , hand-held (I also had an SB800 attached , and set to ttl-fp-bl with diffuser attached). out of about 50 , maybe 10 came out o-k .. Laughing.gif
    (I do have a Lumiquest pocket bouncer . Should I use , to get the flash far above the lens hood ???)
    Any comments , and MANY suggestions needed !!!

Now , these next 2 are with my long lens with TC's . It is much easier with a long lens !!! Laughing.gif But, I want closer !!!

this shot is with 510mm ...

and this 1 , 400mm ...

Hi Wally, you don't need a Tripod at all, most of the shots you've seen on the MACRO forum are hand held.

Personally I think the Tubes are the way to go, but you can use combinations of both.

The Tubes have NO GLASS in them they are hollow, and they work on almost all lenses.

Have you taken any shots with the new Macro Lens,
    or hasn't it arrived yet?

These look fine to me, second shot the background is blown out, but other than that your on the right path nod.gif

Looking Good Wally clap.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2008
    Lovely shots :)

Like Skippy I'd go for a set of ext tubes rather than a TC (a kenko set is fine). You will also find them useful on your tele lenses.
    Lots of nints and tips here http://www.flickr.com/groups/topic/66514/

Brian V.