Canon 50D officially announced (?)

Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
edited August 24, 2008 in Cameras
http://www.canon.icp.dog-cr.jp/products/camera/eos/50d/index.html

Woo! :wink

Some images of it along with the new 18-200 kit lens as well as a ISO1600 hires sample via this link:
http://www.photographybay.com/2008/08/24/canon-50d-photos-with-18-200mm-is-kit-lens/

But why are those images hosted on smugmug and the site icp.dog.cr.jp?
“To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
― Edward Weston

Comments

• BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2008
    Manfr3d wrote:
    But why are those images hosted on smugmug and the site icp.dog.cr.jp?

Maybe because they are all fakes... ??? ne_nau.gif

However I would really like to see Canon release a 18-200mm IS lens.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • mountainhousemountainhouse Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited August 24, 2008
    I guess the implication is that it's a leaked Chinese 50D site. Either real, or someone needs to get a life. rolleyes1.gif

Here's a Google translation for anyone interested.
  • mountainhousemountainhouse Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited August 24, 2008
    That's odd. Mine said that when I first tried to translate the page from Japanese>English. When I tell Google Chinese>English, I don't get that translation. Translation's still a bit rough. Oh, well, go to Google translate, and put the URL in. Then do Chinese>English and you should see this. Wait a minute..... you aren't using Internet Explorer, are you Richard? ;)

采用坚固可靠、值得信赖的镁合金机身; 经典外形设计,激发拍摄者的影像创造力。 A solid dependable, reliable magnesium alloy body; classic contour design, photography inspired the image of creativity.

快门使用寿命达到约15万次! Shutter life to about 150,000 times!

出色的防尘、防水滴性能,让摄影爱好者从容应对严酷的拍摄环境。 Excellent protection against dust, water droplets performance, to calmly deal with the 1999 shooting of the harsh environment.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited August 24, 2008
    That's odd. Mine said the when I tried to translate the page from Japanese>English. When I tell Google Chinese>English, I don't get that translation.

Yep...my mistake. Since the URL was in Japan I thought it would be in Japanese.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2008
    I suspect that it's real. Canon has a habit of doing this type of a "leak" with it's xxD series as long as I could remember.

Anyway, I'm much more interested in dynamic range, noise control, and tonal gradation than pure MP count. Too bad the body looks the same. I was hoping for a nicer body and a better AF system like from the old 1DMIIN series.

I downloaded the sample images and think the noise level of the ISO 400 shot of the building at night to be quiet significant and more than I'd expect from my 30D.

I'll wait for more formal measurbating reviews online before making up my final decision on the camera.