NYC skyline HDR.

VersusNYCVersusNYC Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
edited August 27, 2008 in Landscapes
I took this shot of the downtown Manhattan area while at Governors Island this weekend. I have been working hard on my Photoshop/Photomatix skills.

HDR/Tonemapping done on Photomatix. Some cloning and levels done on CS3. I am trying to keep away from that horrible overcooked look a lot of HDRs tend to have. C+C appreciated.

2794193192_7f9bf6c0dd_o.jpg

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2008
    Very nice but i think it will be better to give buildings more room. But it still works very well
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • VersusNYCVersusNYC Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2008
    I could of probably composed the shot with more buildings in it but i just love clouds rolleyes1.gif. Thanks for the words Awais.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited August 26, 2008
    VersusNYC wrote:
    I could of probably composed the shot with more buildings in it but i just love clouds rolleyes1.gif. Thanks for the words Awais.

Well, they certainly are nice clouds. As a skyline shot, I agree with Awais that more emphasis on the buildings would help. I share your distaste for over the top HDR processing, but I think you should have paid more attention to what was happening in the shadows of the buildings. There's not much detail there, less than I would expect from HDR processing. In fact, the buildings seem a bit blurry. You might have gotten a better result with a single exposure metered on the sky. ne_nau.gif
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Very nice but i think it will be better to give buildings more room. But it still works very well
    15524779-Ti.gif
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    I can see why you like the sky in this one. Its sweet.
    The near / far aspects of the horizon work but I too was
    looking for more foreground city being brought into the shot.
    Nice HDR work.
    Michael
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif
    dlplumer wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
    edited August 27, 2008
    I often get artifacts/banding in my photomatix skys, especially clear skys. Have you had this problem, and if so how do you deal with it. This particular sky has lots of clouds so it doesn't appear to be an issue.ne_nau.gif

Thanks,

Dan
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Well, they certainly are nice clouds. As a skyline shot, I agree with Awais that more emphasis on the buildings would help. I share your distaste for over the top HDR processing, but I think you should have paid more attention to what was happening in the shadows of the buildings. There's not much detail there, less than I would expect from HDR processing. In fact, the buildings seem a bit blurry. You might have gotten a better result with a single exposure metered on the sky. ne_nau.gif

I agree...a lack of detail in there yet the blacks don't look deep enough. Odd.headscratch.gif
  • VersusNYCVersusNYC Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    I often get artifacts/banding in my photomatix skys, especially clear skys. Have you had this problem, and if so how do you deal with it. This particular sky has lots of clouds so it doesn't appear to be an issue.ne_nau.gif

Thanks,

Dan

Dan what you want to do is use the loupe to zoom into a problem area, click on the Micro tab > turn down micro-smoothing and turn up micro contrast, and play with the sliders until you have adjusted to taste.

Keep in mind that micro smoothing controls the level of haloing(sp?) so the lower you have it set the more halo's you might get, especially if light smoothing is turned down to low/very low. Then i bring in the toned image into PS, do any clean up and do noise reduction using Dfine 2.0. I am still learning the ropes, but it works well for me. I am picking up a 17-40L tomorrow for some more wide angle HDR goodness.

The reason the buildings look a bit weird was that they had really bad artifacting/color noise that i couldnt quite get cleared up well so i just brought the darks up to hide weird effects.
    edited August 27, 2008
    VersusNYC wrote:
    Dan what you want to do is use the loupe to zoom into a problem area, click on the Micro tab > turn down micro-smoothing and turn up micro contrast, and play with the sliders until you have adjusted to taste.

Keep in mind that micro smoothing controls the level of haloing(sp?) so the lower you have it set the more halo's you might get, especially if light smoothing is turned down to low/very low. Then i bring in the toned image into PS, do any clean up and do noise reduction using Dfine 2.0. I am still learning the ropes, but it works well for me. I am picking up a 17-40L tomorrow for some more wide angle HDR goodness.

The reason the buildings look a bit weird was that they had really bad artifacting/color noise that i couldnt quite get cleared up well so i just brought the darks up to hide weird effects.

Thanks very much thumb.gifthumb.gif