Climbing the Lost Wall in the Rain

coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
edited August 26, 2008 in Sports
We got a nice sized group together on Thursday again, and took off for Hatcher Pass. It was a typical day in Hatchers, which is of course rain, rain, and rain. Myself, my wife, Richard, and Scott all met up with Kelsey who was already there, and Shasta, who took off as soon as we got there, citing something like "werk" or some weird phrase that the rest of us were unfamiliar with. We decided to try for the Lost Wall, a huge piece of granite with a giant roof at the top that keeps it dry, even in the rainiest Hatchers weather. It's quite a hike to get there, but we managed. The looming wall was a bit intimidating, but after a few minutes of trying to convince each other to lead a route, I tied in and went at it, and we had a good day. Enjoy the pics!

Scott follows me up the first route, rated a 5.10. It was a bit harder, we all thought.
lost02.jpg

Closer up on Scott, unclipping from a bolt on his way up.
lost04.jpg

Kelsey works his way up the rock. This is nine photos stitched using Adobe's Photomerge. Richard, at the belay, is a good forty feet lower than me, and the top right corner of the photo is pretty much directly above my head.
lost-stitch.jpg

Kelsey rappels from setting up an anchor on another 5.10 nearby, with the rain and clouds in the background. Water droplets were falling some 200-plus feet from the lip of the roof and landing behind us on the slopes, leaving the rock nice and dry.
lost06.jpg

Richard works up to the crux on the second route.
lost07.jpg

He took a few minutes to find the solution to the crux, spreading his weight out to the left on nonexistent footholds and using less arm muscle to pull through.
lost09.jpg

From there, Richard and Scott took off to get back to town earlier, and Kelsey, Tracy, and I moved up the mountain even further to climb the Aurora Slab, which I posted pics of last week. The climb is excellent, even though the rain has left it partially drenched. Kelsey and I got to the top, and I shot Tracy's ascent.
lost10.jpg

lost12.jpg

lost15.jpg

Here's a tiny flower, barely big enough to hold a drop of water in its center, clinging to a miniscule crack high up on the ridge.
lost16.jpg

Kelsey preps for the rappel as we finish off the day. The anchor on this route makes some people cringe, but I swear it's bomber! :D
lost18.jpg

Hope you enjoyed another day on the rocks! :D
John Borland
www.morffed.com

Comments

• PeterLyonsPeterLyons Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    I get kinda dizzy just sitting here looking at your pics from it. I absolutely do not have the constitution for that kind of thing! Very cool shots, interesting location, but I believe I'll seek milder thrills! :D
  • dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    PeterLyons wrote:
    I get kinda dizzy just sitting here looking at your pics from it. I absolutely do not have the constitution for that kind of thing! Very cool shots, interesting location, but I believe I'll seek milder thrills! :D

+1
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif
    I respect and even envy what you guys do but you couldn't get me up there for all the money in the world, all the tea in China, the gold in Fort Knox, or anything else for that matter. I even love that a girl is doing it.

They're great shots but I have to ask, how do you let go and use two hands to shoot those photos? Are you just dangling from a rope when you shoot headscratch.gif?
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • PeterLyonsPeterLyons Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    ...but you couldn't get me up there for all the money in the world, all the tea in China, the gold in Fort Knox, or anything else for that matter.

Wow... I had no idea it paid so well! For all the money in the world I believe I'd go up there. Once.
  • chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    PeterLyons wrote:
    Wow... I had no idea it paid so well! For all the money in the world I believe I'd go up there. Once.

OK ... maybe once ... but not for long ... :giggle
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    They're great shots but I have to ask, how do you let go and use two hands to shoot those photos? Are you just dangling from a rope when you shoot headscratch.gif?

Hehe, yeah I've got a rig I set up to shoot climbing, or shoot anything at high angles really. We'll be teaching people how at the Moab Shootout if any of you will be there. ;) Check out: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=73239

And thanks for the comments! It's always a pleasure to hear that people enjoy my shots! :D
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com