Options

> DSS #6 (Splendor or Squalor): Feedback Thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Much Thanks
    Thank you all who have commentented on my photo. I am honored that slim pickn's is in so many top picks.

When I made this photo I was really pleased and then scared that it wasn't as good as I thought it was...you know what I mean...

I have gotten a couple messages and emails and in a few of the critiques asking if this was real or staged. I have to honestly admit (and hope that it doesn't change your view of it) that I completly staged this photo. Well, except I didn't burn down that house. I'm not that desperate :D

You can find out a little bit about the setting in my gallery called Annie's Kitchen: http://love-every-moment.smugmug.com/gallery/4793047_xPRyd#284645014_2SrPL

That house has given me some amazing photos!

The dirty CUTE kids in Slim Pickn's are my babies. I shot this idea twice. The first time my best photo was this one:
    359400368_7ttaG-L.jpg

It was nearing dark and I shot with a wide appiture and didn't like how soft Sylvia is (the one sitting down). I also thought that they should be more dirty.

Sylvia stopped having fun before I thought I had a good shot so my hubby and I put her back in the wagan and took a couple shots with just Michaela and I liked this one the best
    359400280_jKAmh-L.jpg

My hubby didn't like this one and...well, I like it but just didn't get the feeling I wanted so.... called it quits and decided to try again in a few days.

The next time I got the kids even dirtier...put shampoo and dirt in their hair and mud all over them....don't worry...we are having fun at this point :D

And we went back to "the house that got fired" as Michaela calls it.

I shot for a little while and Michaela got sick of standing there picking her bum... I knew I hadn't got the shot yet sooo I had to bribe her and tell her I would buy her a new my littlest pet toy if she stood there and picked her bum for just a little bit longer....so do you think I am a bad mom yet mwink.gif

I ended up getting my shot and this one that I am going to frame:
    354580466_Pc5nS-L.jpg

I didn't pick this one to enter because I don't like how soft her arm and the dolls hair are. I also thought the other fits the theme a little bit better.

I hope after the explanation I haven't disapointed anyone...this was all for fun and games. I have felt kinda bad a couple of times when people have told me how emotional this shot is and one lady told me she was in tears. I didn't want to upset anyone. I'm just trying to get the shotne_nau.gif
    And please know that no one was harmed in making this photo...the kids love getting dirty :Drolleyes1.gif
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
  • Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Karrie McD wrote:
    Thank you all who have commentented on my photo. I am honored that slim pickn's is in so many top picks.

When I made this photo I was really pleased and then scared that it wasn't as good as I thought it was...you know what I mean...

I have gotten a couple messages and emails and in a few of the critiques asking if this was real or staged. I have to honestly admit (and hope that it doesn't change your view of it) that I completly staged this photo. Well, except I didn't burn down that house. I'm not that desperate :D

Karrie,

I for one am relieved that it was a staged shot. I had it in my mind that you were "on assignment" in some bombed-out country some place and that these kids were really in this situation. This, however, in no way takes away from the impact of the image for me though. Very well done! Still gets my vote.

— Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    My Feedback on Remaining Entries
    #3 - Blaze Z Blaze - As Dirty As It Gets
    It's a shame that I'm not finding any area of this image in focus. The
    subject is quite good and there would have been plenty of texture to
    capture. I would suggest making sure you use a tripod in low light
    situations like these.

5 - rhommel - Her
    DQ'd. Really nice feel here. The skin tones seem a little off to me, but
    I'm not an expert at that. Overall a lovely image.

6 - cbsnet - Glencoe - Scotland
    Fantastic scenery. I love Scotland. I felt this image needed more pop
    thoughto really pull it into the theme. Maybe try an overlay layer with
    reduced opacity (see the Dgrin tutorials for other methods).

7 - cheech4487 - Rip
    The message of this image is a little lost on me, I'm afraid. We have some
    exotic looking flowers, some more common ones, a dead leaf in the lower
    right corner, and vibrantly dyed mulch in the lower left corner. It really
    leaves me wondering what the focal point is.

9 - explorish - autumnification
    I assume the image is about the flower losing its glory, but I think a close
    up just on the highlighted petal with a little of the stamen would have been
    more powerful. The wilting bloom is out of focus enough to not really add
    to the image.

10 - WomanWithACamera - Glowing
    I really like the feel of this one. Maybe a touch contrasty, but it also
    adds to the mood. It works for me.

11 - eyeguy - A New Beginning
    The reflection is intriguing, but not strong enough on theme for me.

14 - Glory2Jesus4Photography - Night Bloom under a Red Moon
    I love the texture on the lowest petal so much and the backlit stamen, that
    the rest is purely distracting detail for me. Maybe if it was just the
    single bloom with the moon, then it would have been stronger.

15 - samsplace - Summer of Dreams
    A fairly strong image with great post processing, just not strong on theme
    for me.

16 - tsk1979 - The Storm cometh
    I really like the moodiness in the sky and the exposure on the trees. The
    lower structures are distracting though and not really on theme for me.

17 - Giphsub - Former Splendor...
    Dead things make me want to vomit...sorry

18 - agilepawz - Forgotten Squalor - Lft Behind
    This one I find quite interesting. A nasty commode was on my list of ideas,
    but I suppose since the tank is lying across the bowl, it takes a moment to
    decipher exactly what you're looking at. Although the reflaction in the
    tank is nice and the setting is great, I still think I'd have preferred to
    see the tank up in its usual position.

19 - ChristopherJAshdown - Australian Country Splendor
    Oh I so keep wanting to see detail in that tree line! Very nice, but just a
    little too dark overall to speak to me of splendor.

21 - achambers - I Once Was Mighty
    Speaks to me of destruction more than squalor. It may also have been
    stronger with a more interesting angle.

23 - pyry - War wounds
    Not sure what it is exactly, and therefore how it fits the theme, but I
    still LOVE this. The blur vignette works wonders here.

24 - mtmillz - Another Sunset at 34,000ft.
    ANother unfortunate DQ due to exif. I am assuming this was an honest
    mistake, but since the link to your website wasn't even working, there was
    no way to try to figure it out. The sunset and setting are fantastic, but
    the light/flash are really too harsh on your pilot. Powering that down to a
    hint of detail would likely have made this a very strong image.

25 - The Hobbyist - Industrial Pride
    I took a while looking at this one. There is something about it that I
    really like, but it just wasn't as strong on theme as so many others.

26 - anwmn1 - Watchful
    DQ'd. The subject and surroundings are great, but the light is very
    distracting. You could have easily cropped in close on the left side and
    ended up with a stronger composition as well as no distracting blown area.

27 - darkdragon - Downtown
    This is a great depiction of squalor for sure. It appears a little dark and
    muddy though. Try bumping brightness and contrast a bit to get your
    conversion to pop.

28 - scas - Dry Coulee Paradise
    A nice peaceful scene, well composed and shot. Not enough grandeur for me to to reflect "Splendor".

29 - nelsonstuff - Girls Gold
    Lovely image and this one conveys a story with the message of "splendor is subjective". Very well done.

30 - peters6906 - Me time
    I don't understand this concept (hahaha). Very nicely done though. Jut need some whipped cream in that beverage!

31 - KevXman - Secluded Splendor
    A beautiful, peaceful scene. It's too dark and not "grand" enough to me to really say "Splendor", but still a wonderful image.

32 - vandana - Morning glow
    Easily made my first pass and was just outside of my top ten for it's brilliant glow. I wish for just a hair more DOF, but it really works well regardless.

34 - ulrikft - Subtle Splendor
    Another lovely, quiet image. Just too subtle on splendor for me.

35 - ifocus - The lost Key
    This was almost there, but seems slightly out of focus. Also says more of aged, or neglected, moreso than squalor to me.

36 - Tentacion - It's In The Music
    I can vaguely understand the stretch to the theme here, but the green and purple lit face just makes me think, once again, of the undead. Visions of Beetlejuice come to mind.

37 - douglas - Splendor Out Of Control
    The ghost of Merv Griffin? Just creepy, I'm afraid.

38 - AnaSimona - What Remains
    Overgrown, neglected...yes. Squalor...not quite.

39 - Jack'll do - Splendor is in the Eye of the Beholder
    Lovely image, really. The title, however, leads me to believe that even you realized how much of a stretch on the theme this was. The image seems to be tilted slightly to te left, but otherwise, I like it a lot. I'd probably add a vignette or blur vignette, to keep your branch framing elements, but make them less distracting.

41 - lynnesite - Nature's Fill Flash at ISO 3200
    This one made my first pass so I could get a better look at it. Unfortunately, it's just to small to feel any real impact. For the most part, I'd really suggest you all post at the maximum of 800 pixels on the longest side. You're just selling yourself short otherwise.

42 - jpl - 2739 Main St. Dallas, TX
    Grafitti alone doesn't really say squalor to me, especially when it's in such nice, happy tones as these and seems quite intentional.

43 - MikeK - Adirondack Splendor
    What a gorgeous space! I'd love to be camping there. The light at that time of day isn't really the best though, and with the mountain so far off in the distance, it's not really speaking of grandeur. A sunset/sunrise shot here would likely have had more impact. Even laying on the ground and emphasizing the height of the mountain would have helped, I think.

44 - swintonphoto - Decaying Organ Steps Silences Sacred Harmonies
    I do really like this image and the textures in it, but the title leaves me wanting for more detail of the setting. Your brother's provided this, and so bumped it clearly in my top ten. Saying that, if you had titled it simply "Derelict", I probably wouldn't even have noticed the association.

45 - ic4u - The Beauty from Down Under
    The glowing underside of the flower works, but the DOF isn't doing it for me. Focus seems to be more on the green blooms than on the opened one.

46 - jziegler - The Knighting Ceremony
    Yes, the theme is there, but totally out of focus. Camera shake, I'm thinking.

47 - mwgrice - Bad Bikeman
    Squalor is here, but there no real focal point, other than the sprayed "Bad Bikema", but I'm not really finding that enough to hold my interest.

49 - avman - Morning Shadows
    Once again, way too small to really appreciate.

50 - mycaptures - I See No Evolution
    I like the colors and the message, but it does seem tilted. More of a pano crop would likely have made this stronger too.

51 - coffeekev - Squalid Splendor
    There's too many elements in this image to really have something of interest to focus on. Try determining what draws you into a scene and make that a main focal point.

52 - aktse - Mirror, Mirror on the Wall
    There are some interesting lines in the architecture coupled with the bench and very nice colors going on. It's a nice image, just not pulling the theme in strong enough.

53 - jrnylst - My World
    I find this collection of images fascinating and I commend you for trying something completely different. There are really some gorgeous shots in there, but the collection as a whole is more of a personal story, rather than speaking directly of splendor as a whole. Yo should totally frame this one though!

54 - BeachBill - Welcome to Eden
    Oh yeah, I wanna stay there! This one made my first pass quite easily, but it was just lacking something for me. Not sure what.

55 - barrotj - Rays of Splendor
    Nice angles, but there's just not enough to really draw me in.

56 - Jwill - Joy
    Another shot that I just simply LOVE. What a group of characters! And your title is perfect. I so wanted to put this in my top ten and had to reread the theme definitions again to determine if it would fit. Just more of a stretch than some of the others, but I would still cherish this shot.

57 - sunita - God's kingdom
    The theme is clearly here (with the exception of the "DO NOT ENTER" sign), but shots of other people's art just doesn't do much for me other than display the artist's abilities.
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    36 - Tentacion - It's In The Music
    I can vaguely understand the stretch to the theme here, but the green and purple lit face just makes me think, once again, of the undead. Visions of Beetlejuice come to mind.

Sorry you felt that way EM, I think there is always Splendor in any music, whether it be religious, R&B, R&R, Jazz, Classical, etc, depending on your choice of listening entertainment it can bring many splendid emotions in to play.

As for the Lighting...well my photo was not staged, the lighting is natural, I photograph lots of musicians at live concerts, and gigs, and one of the things that musicans love the most is the lights and background effects in thier photos. Photographing musicians is a very difficult venue, especially when you tackle a variety of colored lights, sometimes fog, strobes, flames, imagine when all these effects are hitting you at once. Then the musicians themselves are sometimes so into what they are doing...you literally have to follow their every move for that almost/near perfect shot.

Thanks for the crtitique, as always, it is appreciated.

Peace
    Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2008
    [quote=Greensquared
    31 - KevXman - Secluded Splendor
    A beautiful, peaceful scene. It's too dark and not "grand" enough to me to really say "Splendor", but still a wonderful image.
    [/quote]

Yeah, I'm with you on this Em. I wasn't real happy with it either. I work on waterfalls whenever I get the chance. I'll keep trying. Thanks for the feedback! And once more THANK YOU for all of your time and effort on the challenges!

— Kevin

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    23 - pyry - War wounds
    Not sure what it is exactly, and therefore how it fits the theme, but I
    still LOVE this. The blur vignette works wonders here.

I have to admit, I kind of guessed why I didn't make the cut... It's a WW2 era AA-gun placement. Built to defend against Russian bombers.

This was a both a whatnow and a rescue case in post. So the fact that you at least like the picture means a lot :D

Thanks Emily thumb.gif
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    agilepawzagilepawz Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Thanks!
    18 - agilepawz - Forgotten Squalor - Lft Behind
    This one I find quite interesting. A nasty commode was on my list of ideas,
    but I suppose since the tank is lying across the bowl, it takes a moment to
    decipher exactly what you're looking at. Although the reflaction in the
    tank is nice and the setting is great, I still think I'd have preferred to
    see the tank up in its usual position.

Thanks for the critique. I realized it would have been better with the tank sitting upright but by then I had let my camera go on vacation with a friend and couldn't reshoot. BTW, this isn't staged. My neighbors moved 3 states away with a nasty toilet sitting at their front driveway. Most people put out a flower pot....eek7.gif

The whole slim pickins series is just fabulous, as are many of the others.

Thanks for the chance to learn. Michele
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    27 - darkdragon - Downtown
    This is a great depiction of squalor for sure. It appears a little dark and
    muddy though. Try bumping brightness and contrast a bit to get your
    conversion to pop.

Thanks for the critique. I was really working on the conversion, but no expert on the b/w conversions. I'll keep practicing - quickly since the next challenge already started eek7.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    tamplumtamplum Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Due to health issues in the home this week, I did not get to post an entry. But, those that did really did a great job.

Going to take a shot of my personal top picks (No particular order)

Glencoe, Scotland: cbsnet - Beautiful shot. Took me away to a far away place and I thought any minute the fairy folk would come through.

Slim Pick'ins: Karrie McD- ok at first glance, I was struck by the sadness of the shot and how well you captured the theme. Then the mother in me caught the "picking" of the clothes out of the lil girls bum and I started to laugh too. There was a great combination of sadness mixed with humor here. Was in my top 5

Summer of Dreams: samsplace - I liked the treatment you gave this shot. I could see the past challenge playing out in your entry and the way you displayed movement from one to the other was good. I could see this hanging on husbands wall in the den.

Girls Gold: nelsonstuff- so sweet. good dof on the flowers rather than the lil girl

me time: petert6906- this shot made me smile. what mom doesn't want me time. such splendor. the focus on the tray and the goodies was perfect.

(more to come)
    **Taking the moments one shot at a time**
    ~Working with my Nikon D80~
    <My dream is to be the kind of mother, my kids already think I am>
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Here are the rest of my comments
    :whew Here you go!

#2 - Favorite Filthy Habit - crazyphotogrpaphy
    Lighting and exposure are spot-on. But it spoke more "addiction" or "dirt/grime" to me. I kept wanting to see a hint of a flop house in the background.

#3 - As Dirty as it Gets - Blaze A Blaze
    Great slimy texture on the oil. But to me it spoke more of "filth" and "grime" than squalor.

#4 - Oppulent Splendor - Pilznr
    This one made my top 15. The highlights were a bit too bright and washed out for my taste, which is why it didn't make my top 10. To me, this scene conveys both splendor and squalor. Eastern State was a great place to be at to shoot for this theme!

#5 - Her - Rhommel
    What a shame this was DQ'd. Love how the subtle light accentuates her profile.

#7 - Rip - cheech4487
    The colors are stunning. I would have preferred to have seen a closeup of one of the larger flowers.

#9 - autumnification - explorish
    I like the backlighting on the petals of this plant. A closer crop would have shown off the plant more.

#10 - Glowing - WomanWithACamera
    Made my top 15. This sky is amazing. All that's missing is a choir of angels.

#11 - A New Beginning - eyeguy
    Great reflection. Just not very strong on theme for me.

#13 - Muddy Misdemeanor - cmorganphotography
    Your model has the most piercing set of eyes I've even seen. Lovley shot, just says more "dirt" and "grime" to me than squalor or splendor.

#15 - Summer of Dreams - samsplace
    This composition is lovely and it looks like you captured the reflection well but the post-processing detracts from it.

#16 - The Storm Cometh - tsk1979
    What a spooky sky! A bit of a stretch on the theme, though. I would have tried a tighter crop on this to eliminate those structures on the lower right and then cloned out the pole.

#17 - Former Splendor - Giphssub
    Selective color was a good choice to separate the head from the grass. Taking this shot early in the morning or late in the afternoon would have given you better lighting.

#18 - Forgotten Squalor-Left Behind - agilepawz
    This one cracked me up. I would like to have seen a slightly wider angle of this scene because it looks like you have some things of interest in the background.

#19 - Australian Country Splendor - ChristopherJAshdown
    The composition fits the theme well, but overall the photo is too contrasty. I would like to have seen more details of the forest.

#21 - I Once Was Mighty - achambers
    I find myself looking for a focal point in this composition. A closeup of something in the debris, perhaps some discarded furniture or beer cans could have provided some excellent fodder for squalor here.

#22 - After The Demolition - Humprey Cogay
    Outstanding shot, but I found myself distracted by whatever was causing that mottled effect in the photo. Sometimes you can't help things like that but a crop may have put more emphasis on the girl and less on the mottled effect.

#23 - War Wounds - pyry
    Didn't quite speak the theme for me. This speaks more of desolation than squalor or splendor. Love your use of selective focus.

#24 - Another Sunset at 34,000ft. - mtmillz
    What a shame this was DQ'd. I like the perspective of being in the copilot's seat and admiring the sunset.

#25 - Industrial Pride - The Hobbyist
    I like the B&W converstion and the crop. Just not strong enough on theme for me.

#26 - Watchful - anwmn1
    Sorry this was DQ'd. Did you just change the batteries on your Olympus prior to taking the photo? On one of my old Oly cameras I'd have to reset the time each time I changed batteries. Great location, great soulful expression in your model's eyes. The flash bouncing off the back wall distracts from that, though.

#27 - A Throw-Away Society - darkdragon
    Meets the theme well. I find eye drawn more to the One Way sign than to the actual squalor, though. A curves or levels adjustment might draw the eye back to the trashy area.

#28 - Grand Coulee Paradise - scas
    Meets the theme well. Had you been able to catch a reflection in the water it would have greatly improved this shot.

#29 - Girls Gold - nelsonstuff
    Photo is vignetted very nicely with proper emphasis on the flowers. Lovely shot.

#30 - Me time - peterst6906
    Lovely photo, just not very strong on the theme. You should see if you can't get that chocolate maker interested in this shot.

#31 - Secluded Splendor - KevXman
    Love this shot, but the blue water was distracting. A shot like this could benefit from a white balance or curves adjustment to remove or lessen that bluish cast.

#34 - Subtle Splendor - ulkrift
    Nice silhouette and background. The silhouette could have been a bit more distinct against the background.

#35 - The lost Key - ifocus
    Nice shot but speaks more of "texture" than squalor. It would speak the squalor theme more strongly had I been able to see what the rest of the room looked like.

#36 - It's In The Music - Tentacion
    It took me a few seconds to get the connection to splendor. But I got it! The expression on his face shows he's swept away by the splendor of the music he's performing but the colored lights were a distraction for me.

#37 - Splendor Out Of Control - douglas
    The connection to splendor is evident. But the post-processing looks really creepy to me. Sorry.

#38 - What Remains - AnaSimona
    Speaks more "demolition by neglect" than squalor.

#39 - Splendor is in the Eye of the Beholder - Jack'll do
    An unusual take on splendor. I liked this one. The old factory in nicely reflected in the water. A crop and a little bit of the clone tool would have gotten rid of some of the distracting branches. Photo is tilted slightly to the left.

#41 - Nature's Fill Flash at ISO 3200 - lynnesite
    Meets the theme. Nice shot. Just didn't hold my interest.

#42 - 2739 Main St. Dallas, TX - jpl
    The midday light is a bit harsh. Late afternoon or early morning lighting would have improved this scene.

#43 - Adirondack Splendor - MikeK
    Nice shot. Some clouds or early morning/late afternoon lighting would have shouted splendor here.

#45 - The Beautfy from Down Under - ic4u
    The backlighting looks lovely but I found the fuzzy petal in the foreground to be distracting.

#46 - The Knighting Ceremony - jzielger
    Photo is strong on the theme. It's a shame that it came out a bit soft.

#47 - Bad Bikeman - mwgrice
    Definitely squalor. I would have tried to compose this so that the BAD BIKEMAN grafitti would play a secondary role to the door in this shot.

#49 - Morning Shadows - avman
    Sorry this was DQ'd. It was a lovely shot. A bigger resolution would show more detail.

#50 - I See No Evolition - mycaptures
    Great sky! Horizon is a tilted, though. I'd consider cropping some of that black on the bottom so that the sky stands out even more.

#51 - Squalid Splendor - coffeekev
    Photo is very busy. Not sure what I need to be looking at here.

#52 - Mirror, Mirror, on the Wall - aktse
    Awesome reflection. But I find the bench at the bottom to be a distraction.

#53 - My World - jrnylst
    What a neat idea. I just feel that the splendor theme got just a tiny bit diluted by all these wonderful shots. Any one of your sunset or moonrise shots would have fit this theme perfectly. Made my top 15.

#54 - Welcome to Eden - BeachBill
    This cracked me up! But the composition just didn't hold my interest. Maybe a shot from a different angle might have done the trick?

#55 - Rays of Splendor - barrotj
    Made my top 15. Nice abstract.

#56 - Joy - Jwill
    Amazing those kids can still muster a smile in spite of where they live. Lighting was just a bit too harsh for my taste.

#57 - God's kingdom - Sunita
    This was in my top 15. A different crop would have eliminated that Do Not Enter sign.
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    #31 - Secluded Splendor - KevXman
    Love this shot, but the blue water was distracting. A shot like this could benefit from a white balance or curves adjustment to remove or lessen that bluish cast.

Thanks Linda! I wasn't too happy with this one myself but just couldn't put my finger on what was wrong. I'll work on it and maybe post over on The Whipping Post for further comments. Thanks again for looking and critiquing.

— Kevin

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    45 - ic4u - The Beauty from Down Under
    The glowing underside of the flower works, but the DOF isn't doing it for me. Focus seems to be more on the green blooms than on the opened one.

Thank you for you comments, I'm always learning! I appreciate the time you put into this! Karin
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    My first challenge or competion ever. Getting past the hesitation to put Ones self out there was very liberating. Thanks to those that included me in their top ten and for the comments here and on other threads. I am already looking forward to the next challenge. The quality and scale of talent is awe-inpsiring.
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.
  • Options
    GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008

17 - Giphsub - Former Splendor...
    Dead things make me want to vomit...sorry

lol3.gif That was kinda the point though. As in using the squalor idea... Thanks for the feedback.
  • Options
    GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    richtersl wrote:

#17 - Former Splendor - Giphssub
    Selective color was a good choice to separate the head from the grass. Taking this shot early in the morning or late in the afternoon would have given you better lighting.

Thanks Richters. To be honest, I took that pic before seeing this contest, but thought it fit the theme. I only snapped the shot as one of passing interest while shooting living birds. So not much thought to artisitc quality was given, nor to timing, light, etc.
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    my top three....no order

very moving to me. the grid makes it a little hard to really look at...
    357121138_ttWQR-L.jpg

pyry, the photograph, the effect and treatment here really works well, and again very deep meaning to me.
    what these men went through!man.mind boggling,
    357201238_xEnp4-L.jpg

just a good feel for me on this one...
    358587643_YmUna-L-0.jpg
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    #23 - War Wounds - pyry
    Didn't quite speak the theme for me. This speaks more of desolation than squalor or splendor. Love your use of selective focus.

Thanks for the feedback :D
    I realize this image didn't talk to as many people as I would have liked, but...
    pyry, the photograph, the effect and treatment here really works well, and again very deep meaning to me.
    what these men went through!man.mind boggling

...it did talk to someone. Thank you bowdown.gif
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2008
    i guess its always going to be different to each person...
    but you cant expect to get everyone...myself it makes me very happy to know one person liked my shot. and im glad to let you know i liked yours...
    i dont really like to say i liked a shot or not, i would rather just say it gave me an emotion.

so thanks for that....

my interpretion here of your entry is the squalor here is such a waste at so many levels....
    and at the same time splendor is in other ways....
    dont ask me to explain...it would take many hours....
    my best discription would be millions of lives lost and millions if not billions of lives changed
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    i dont really like to say i liked a shot or not, i would rather just say it gave me an emotion.

Wise words Aaron (congrats again on the win).
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2008
    thanks Peter is it?, and i must say it has been wonderful. what can i saythumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    HumpreyCogayHumpreyCogay Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    After The Demolition
    Thank you mam Greensquared and sir AaronNelson for the critique.. yes i was shooting through a Screen inside a Train. Yes it would be better if its off center, basic rule, Rule of thirds =( ...

Thanks pemmett,swintonphoto, MrsCue,Travis for adding me in your List =)
  • Options
    WomanWithACameraWomanWithACamera Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008

10 - WomanWithACamera - Glowing
    I really like the feel of this one. Maybe a touch contrasty, but it also
    adds to the mood. It works for me.

Thank you very much for the feedback. :D
    :D A Smile A Day...Keeps The Uglies Away. :D

http://annasphotos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    WomanWithACameraWomanWithACamera Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    :whew Here you go!

#10 - Glowing - WomanWithACamera
    Made my top 15. This sky is amazing. All that's missing is a choir of angels.

Thank you very much for the feedback. Hmm.... "A choir of Angels", maybe next time.. :D
    :D A Smile A Day...Keeps The Uglies Away. :D

http://annasphotos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    Thanks very much for the feedback--am mystified at the comment about "too small" for mine (#41) as I linked to smugmug large.
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    lynnesite wrote:
    Thanks very much for the feedback--am mystified at the comment about "too small" for mine (#41) as I linked to smugmug large.

Hi Lynne,

If your image was a verticle shot, the SM large is only 600px on the longest side... next time link the SM XL which is roughly 768px on the longest side for a verticle image... The SM L is only 800px for a horizontal image.

Winston
  • Options
    Michael AtkinsMichael Atkins Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2008
    Thank you to peterst6906, Karrie McD, WomanWithACamera, jrnylst, Travis, and cmorganphotography for including my picture in your top ten. I am extremely flattered.

Sorry it took me so long to send out my thanks. My father is in town this week to visit his granddaughter for the first time and see some of Alaska. So needless to say it's been a busy week but very fun too. Got some amazing pictures on two different trips one to Kenai Fjords National Park (humpback whales feeding @ surface and breaching) and Denali National Park (lots of Grizzlies and spectacular views). I might try and put together a trip thread in Journeys forum but it will take me awhile to sort through all the images.

Thank you again.

Mike