Options

PicLens / CoolIris

garymillergarymiller Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited October 20, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Over the past months I recall PicLens working fine on all my galleries, or so I thought. Now that PicLens has morphed into CoolIris it was pointed out to me that not all of my galleries seem to be enabled. I know that one that I just finished uploading is not working yet (set to Private if that makes a difference) but there are others too. I checked a sampling of some others and some seem to be fine but others are not enabled. What would cause the difference? Public and Private don't seem to be the trigger from what I can see.

"The current browser page is not yet CoolIris enabled" is the message displayed when attempting to trigger it on non-enabled pages. I also see that the little PicLens arrow icons seem to have been removed from the thumbnails and I only see a CoolIris double frame icon on the toolbar to trigger it.

Thanks,

Gary

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    garymiller wrote:
    Over the past months I recall PicLens working fine on all my galleries, or so I thought. Now that PicLens has morphed into CoolIris it was pointed out to me that not all of my galleries seem to be enabled. I know that one that I just finished uploading is not working yet (set to Private if that makes a difference) but there are others too. I checked a sampling of some others and some seem to be fine but others are not enabled. What would cause the difference? Public and Private don't seem to be the trigger from what I can see.

"The current browser page is not yet CoolIris enabled" is the message displayed when attempting to trigger it on non-enabled pages. I also see that the little PicLens arrow icons seem to have been removed from the thumbnails and I only see a CoolIris double frame icon on the toolbar to trigger it.

Thanks,

Gary

Could it be that you need external linking enabled for the gallery?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    lemketronlemketron Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    I don't think that's it, since I'm seeing the same problem with a gallery that has external linking enabled. What else could cause this error?
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    lemketron wrote:
    I don't think that's it, since I'm seeing the same problem with a gallery that has external linking enabled. What else could cause this error?

I have no idea how cooliris works so I don't know what setting it would need in order to do it's thing. Sorry I can't help further.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2008
    jfriend wrote:

Good thought, but that is not something that I would toggle differently between my galleries. It must have some other dependency of some type. Interesting to see that others notice the same variance.

Gary
  • Options
    ShebaJoShebaJo Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    me too
    PicLens worked well when I first found it months ago, went into a time that there were problems off and on. But recently, no problems. Till I did the update to cooliris... now no buttons... unless I open the wall, view a pic, go back to SMug gallery.. then the buttons are there and work. Until I close the gallery, open another... again, no buttons.

I have noticed very few galleries, photos of any member working. When I view most popular photos on SMug... few have buttons. But, when I view pics on other sites, ie flickr... absolutely no problems.. all pics have buttons.

I wrote to PicLens/cooliris this past Friday, the 22nd, no response.

BTW... the 22nd is the same time that many of the slideshows broke, after smugmug updates.
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2008
    I know that when I did the update to Cool Iris, the buttons on my images also went missing. What does appear now is a double-window icon to the right of my search phrase entry section to the right of the address bar on my web browser menu bar. This will activate CoolIris now, but just does a generic photo feed if the gallery is not enabled.

Gary
  • Options
    ShebaJoShebaJo Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    garymiller wrote:
    I know that when I did the update to Cool Iris, the buttons on my images also went missing. What does appear now is a double-window icon to the right of my search phrase entry section to the right of the address bar on my web browser menu bar. This will activate CoolIris now, but just does a generic photo feed if the gallery is not enabled.

Gary
    same here.

I tried to "enable" my site on the cooliris site... very interesting. The only images that it picks up on my page, or in my galleries... my header and the napp footer... not one single pic/phoot shows up.

When I clicked on the header "pic" as they instruct, then tested... it didn't enable the gallery photos, just the header/banner... so still no cooliris.

This it their enable site, if anyone else wants to check to see what you get.

btw... I just tried again, this time got an error message "no thumbs on your page/site" .. so it is not picking up images, just header and footer images at times.
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    Hmmm... that's strange because I've had no problems with the update. I checked most of my galleries and they all seem to still work fine for me.

I see an icon on my images when I hover my mouse over the image, but you're right ShebaJo, I don't get the icon on your images. But PicLens is working fine for me on your site - I check a few galleries and didn't have a problem. Gary I don't see your site listed in your sig or profile so I couldn't look at yours.

The only difference I can think of is that I never "enabled" my galleries. I have the FF addon for my browser. If you don't have the add-on you can't view my galleries with PicLens/Cool Iris. If you do have the addon, the gallery doesn't need to be "enabled", that is just to allow people to use the PicLens interface if they don't have it installed in their browser.
  • Options
    pony2gopony2go Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    Cooliris.... not so cool
    I have tried everything short of standing on my head to get this to run! I had it working on my site when it was piclens. Loved it. Had the RSS feeds updating and a copy sent to my email. Now since SM updated I no longer get that either. Cooliris would be a "cool" tool for showing off galleries but apparently the way SM is now set up and the way Cooliris pull pics do not sync.

ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    hyachtshyachts Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    Cooliris works exactly as PicLens did for me - on all galleries, as well.
  • Options
    GyroDaveGyroDave Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited October 11, 2008
    Mine works on some Galleries and not on others...

Anyone know how to enable it account-wide?
  • Options
    jwalkerohjwalkeroh Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    GyroDave wrote:
    Mine works on some Galleries and not on others...

Anyone know how to enable it account-wide?

Please give a link to one each of a gallery that works with it and one that doesn't. In theory all you need to do is install the cooliris plugin in your browser and it should work for all galleries.
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2008
    jwalkeroh wrote:
    Please give a link to one each of a gallery that works with it and one that doesn't. In theory all you need to do is install the cooliris plugin in your browser and it should work for all galleries.

Yep, I agree and remain stumped.. For testing, I just threw together a few galleries to try to learn if password protection, listed or unlisted, private or hello world makes any difference. (I'm travelling again 10-15 ~ 10-19 so I may be absent for a few days.)

This one works:
    http://www.dnorris.smugmug.com/gallery/5980454_kRwrF#373380584_GqTjm

This one doesn't:
    http://dnorris.smugmug.com/gallery/5947281_dHJxe#370627613_DeWLG

Thanks for the effort,
    -Dave
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    Easy. There's no RSS feed for this gallery:
    GyroDave wrote:

Following the breadcrumbs to "David Norris > Test > COA Ultimate Nationals 2008", I don't see the "Minis" gallery, so I assume you have it set to Unlisted.

"Feeds are only available for public, non-passworded galleries."

http://www.smugmug.com/help/rss-atom-feeds

Now you could manually add a feed to your page by adding this to the album description:
    <html><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="SmugMug: dnorris > Email RSS feed" href="/hack/feed.mg?Type=gallery&amp;Data=5947281_dHJxe&amp;format=rss200" /></html>

But that's kind of a pain to do manually for every unlisted album.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2008
    darryl wrote:
    Easy. There's no RSS feed for this gallery:

Following the breadcrumbs to "David Norris > Test > COA Ultimate Nationals 2008", I don't see the "Minis" gallery, so I assume you have it set to Unlisted.

"Feeds are only available for public, non-passworded galleries."

http://www.smugmug.com/help/rss-atom-feeds

Now you could manually add a feed to your page by adding this to the album description:
    <html><link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="SmugMug: dnorris > Email RSS feed" href="/hack/feed.mg?Type=gallery&amp;Data=5947281_dHJxe&amp;format=rss200" /></html>

But that's kind of a pain to do manually for every unlisted album.

Awesome information & very succinct.
    Thank you very much and I appreciate the code too!