edited August 30, 2008 in Cameras
help?

what identifies the best nikon lens?
Aaron Nelson

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Price..............................mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    The result of our dedication to innovation and excellence in the manufacture of camera lenses is the NIKKOR lens, a marvel of clarity, consistency, precision and reliability. A NIKKOR lens is a commitment to perfection, which is why we make our own glass for our lenses, and why we've done so for over 70 years. Nikon is, in fact, one of the world's leading manufacturers of optical glass.
    Nikon main lens page...........

I actually believe that Nikon produces all their lenses with the "PRO" in mind....aside from maybe the lowest priced dx lenses........that is why you do not see a true separation in lenses as consumer or pro (L)...........

But then what do I know..........I shoot SIGMA lenses......:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Art, thanks!
    also, is there an adaptor to allow canon glass to be used on nikon?
    ive heard this is not possible...
    Aaron Nelson
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited August 26, 2008
    Art, thanks!
    also, is there an adaptor to allow canon glass to be used on nikon?
    ive heard this is not possible...

Nikon uses a longer back focus and so it's possible to use Nikkor lenses on Canon EOS bodies (with restrictions and reservations).

There are no adapters that I am aware of to use EOS lenses on Nikon bodies. All EOS lenses are electronically controlled apertures which would prevent any aperture adjustments even if you could get a physical mount, which would never focus to infinity because of the shorter EOS back focus.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited August 26, 2008
    thank you... there i have it... the reasons we dont see canon on nikon and viceversa.....

stupid me, i should have known these answers already....
    Aaron Nelson
    edited August 27, 2008
    Seymore wrote:
    Hey Arron, Ziggy, ET all... It's referred to as the "register distance", the distance from the lens flange to the sensor/film plane. ...

You are right and thanks for the correction Seymore. thumb.gif

I was thinking about something else as I was typing my previous response.
    ziggy53
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    Aaron, are you thinking of going Nikon?

I'm looking at the new Canon 50D. Looks very sweet. I would think there is probably a way you could leverage your prize into getting it as well.

Congrats again on your win. thumb.gif
  • xendless xurbiaxendless xurbia Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    Nikon "pro" glass can be distinguished from other lenses in their catologue just by looking to see if there's gold ring on the front end of the lens barel.
    edited August 27, 2008
    i dont know what for sure im doing......but im not giving up on canon for any reasons....its a long story....
    Aaron Nelson
  • bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    As xendless xurbia said, the gold ring is on the top quality lenses. You'll just have to look at images of lenses to see it.

20080827-8h31t5gu3m2g3a2i7hyu5b9jcx.jpg20080827-m2d49418ptbbi5kgngh147yxq.jpg
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    As xendless xurbia said, the gold ring is on the top quality lenses. You'll just have to look at images of lenses to see it.

But I'm curious if you compare lenses say, he 50 1.4. For the high price of such a lense, one could argue that it is a pretty serious lense. But would you call it, "high quality"? Does Canon have a 50 1.4L? I know they have a 1.2 though. (Nikon does too, but I think is manual focus only.)
    edited August 27, 2008
    But I'm curious if you compare lenses say, he 50 1.4. For the high price of such a lense, one could argue that it is a pretty serious lense. But would you call it, "high quality"? Does Canon have a 50 1.4L? I know they have a 1.2 though. (Nikon does too, but I think is manual focus only.)

The Canon lineup for 50mm:

f1.2L USM
    f1.4 USM
    f1.8
    ziggy53
  • bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    Nikon hasn't updated the 50mm or 85mm primes in a while. I'm sure if Nikon releases AF-S versions of these, the f/1.4 versions will have the gold stripe.
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    Nikon hasn't updated the 50mm or 85mm primes in a while. I'm sure if Nikon releases AF-S versions of these, the f/1.4 versions will have the gold stripe.

And cost their weight in gold.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    My experience has been that actual reviews say more than a designation like "L" in some cases. This is by far my favorite lens review site:
    http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/index.php

That will tell you which ones to get that will give you the desired results.
  • imageswestimageswest Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2008
    help?

what identifies the best nikon lens?

ANY Nikon lens with a gold ring OR gold lettering is equivalent to Canon's L-series lenses.
    edited August 30, 2008
    thank you everyone, most helpful as usual here at dgrin
    Aaron Nelson