Safety of Eclipse and E2 on imaging chips.

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
edited August 27, 2008 in Cameras
I sent the following e-mail to the manufacturer of Eclipse and E2 cleaning fluids:

> Dear sirs,
>
>... I am the moderator for the Camera and Accessories forums at the "Digital Grin", a discussion forum for photography. (DGrin.com)
>
> Many of our users use and recommend the Eclipse and E2 cleaning fluids, but there seems to be some confusion about why 2 fluids are required and if 1 fluid might be safe for all imaging chips.
>
> I am aware of the Indium Tin Oxide coatings but I am unaware of the possible chemical interaction between the original Eclipse fluid and the coating. Specifically what is supposed to occur and how does the newer E2 eliminate the threat?
>
> Is the E2 safe for the previous sensors? If not, why is it not safe?
>
> Thanks for your kind consideration and explanation. I hope that you can shed some light onto the situation as a definitive source of information.
>
> ziggy53

I received the following reply:

"These are good questions. E2 can be used on all cameras. You are correct that most likely the Eclipse won't damage the Tin Oxide coating, but Sony who manufactures most of these sensors felt that the formula for the E2 would be safer in the long term. We still continue to sell Eclipse, because we feel it does a little better job, because it dries a bit faster than the E2. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Joel

PSI"
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    i use the eclipse solution on my d3 all the time. never had an issue with it. i've tried others but they don't seem to dry as well or as quickly.
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    I was wondering about this very thing...thanks, Ziggy!:D

I keep wet sensor cleaning to a minimum...but when I do I use eclipse...no problems.