Options

Suggested Nikon D-300 settings

DaCDaC Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
edited August 29, 2008 in Cameras
I intend to rent a D300 for a weekend from a local store prior to purchase to see if I am able to use is. I confess to using the auto / preset modes (a crutch) when I just want to grab a pic. I will likely be taking pictures of the family and hope to get to a park or an autocross to use the longer range glass. For the test I would mostly take my time and shoot in M mode (though I prefer A, S and P on the D70). I do not enjoy or even like post production work. I understand and know the bennies of shooting RAW but only do so for really special shots (ok I'm lazy).

1. Portrait Photos:
a. I understand three program modes can be saved, correct?
b. How would I set a program for portrait?
c. Suggested sharpening and other settings to try (remember using JPEG).

2. Action / wildlife (autocross or birds at the river)
a. Best settings again using JPEG.
b. If more than one program setting is allowed any thing I must watch for when setting this one?

3. Other suggestions to try while I have the camera given my current kit?
The cat picture will have to wait until after purchase.

A link to the kind of pictures I like to take and for better or worse the kind of pictures I take.
http://dac.smugmug.com/gallery/3483999_PwU73#P-2-15

I understand a class would likely do more good than a new camera but my schedule will not allow it. I am looking for faster autofocus speed, improved low light performance, higher frames per second, improved JPEG performance, the ability to blowup then crop pictures, and maybe better weather protection. My nephew is to be wed come mid November. I would like to be at ease with the new camera before the end of October. At the wedding I will be taking pictures but not "the photographer" and have my D-70 as backup.

I currently own:
D70 (from Apr 04) and 70s (one will go to my daughter with kit lens)
18-70 Nikon DX (kit lens)
17-55 (f2.8) Nikkor
70-300 (f 4-5.6)Tamron
120-300 (f 2.8) Sigma
tripod with Acratech GV2 head
SB800 flash

Thanks in advance for your time.
John

Comments

• Options
    ElginetPhotosElginetPhotos Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Take a class.

I went from the Fuji S3Pro to a D300. over 4000 clicks later, I'm still dialing this thing in and I'm STILL not sure if I like it.

If you want to do portraits, use a Fuji S3 or S5Pro. You will like the results much better.

I'm doing a wedding in 2 weeks and my new D300 is going to end up being my back-up camera for it.

Just FYI.....
    Bill O'Neill - Media and Fire Photography
  • Options
    GKR1GKR1 Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    For D300 Portrait Photos without using D2x modes I would use the following for JPGs.

Netural
    Hue -1
    contrats +1
    Saturation +1
    Sharpening + 5

Action/Sports/Birds use Standard setting for JPGs

Sharpening +7
    Active D Ligh set to "ON" when on you've it set "on" camera sets contrast for you.

I hope this helps.
  • Options
    DaCDaC Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    GKR1 wrote:
    For D300 Portrait Photos without using D2x modes ...I hope this helps.

Thanks just what I was looking for. Is the D2x mode a switchable setting, Or is it something that needs to be loaded onto the camera? I have read that it makes a big difference in protrait photos.

I know very little of the D2 and D2x except in the right hands they make some very nice pictures and are very rugged.

ElginetPhotos
    Thanks very much for the suggestion. I will look the Fuji.
  • Options
    jrmyrnsmjrmyrnsm Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Heres the new user guide for the D300 from Ken Rockwell. It may not be exactly what you are looking for but he is a big Nikon user and offers some suggestions about setting... worth taking a look at.
    Georgia based wedding photographer shooting all Fuji and loving every second of it!

My Website My Blog DPChallenge
  • Options
    GKR1GKR1 Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    DaC wrote:
    Thanks just what I was looking for. Is the D2x mode a switchable setting, Or is it something that needs to be loaded onto the camera? I have read that it makes a big difference in protrait photos.

I know very little of the D2 and D2x except in the right hands they make some very nice pictures and are very rugged.

ElginetPhotos
    Thanks very much for the suggestion. I will look the Fuji.

D2x modes need to be loaded in to the camera, nikon also released a portituer mode recently for the d300 which is very similar to d2x mode 1. However, the delta is not night and day between the setting I mentioned above for jpgs in Netural.
  • Options
    ElginetPhotosElginetPhotos Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    jrmyrnsm wrote:
    Heres the new user guide for the D300 from Ken Rockwell. It may not be exactly what you are looking for but he is a big Nikon user and offers some suggestions about setting... worth taking a look at.
    I just went through the Ken Rockwell site and found it EXTREMELY helpful!

Thanks for posting that link. I was (keyword being WAS) having problems.

3032393_xULUX#360724206_knN3o-A-LB

3032393_xULUX#360724206_knN3o-A-LB
    Bill O'Neill - Media and Fire Photography