D70s troubleshoot

Glenn PGlenn P Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited August 27, 2008 in Cameras
Hello,

This evening I switched on my D70s and the word, "off" flashed repeatedly in the Control Panel. Turned it off and on again a couple of times and then it worked fine, at several points throughout the evening though it would randomly flash "off" and then seem to go back to acting normal. During the times when this flashed in the control panel, the camera wouldn't focus etc. Never seen this before. Camera is about 3 years old, treated well, original owner, maybe 10K shutter actuations.

Anyone experience this before?

Thank you,

Glenn

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited August 26, 2008
    Glenn P wrote:
    Hello,

This evening I switched on my D70s and the word, "off" flashed repeatedly in the Control Panel. Turned it off and on again a couple of times and then it worked fine, at several points throughout the evening though it would randomly flash "off" and then seem to go back to acting normal. During the times when this flashed in the control panel, the camera wouldn't focus etc. Never seen this before. Camera is about 3 years old, treated well, original owner, maybe 10K shutter actuations.

Anyone experience this before?

Thank you,

Glenn

Which lens were you using?

Do you have another lens to try?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • JasonLJasonL Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    lens
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Which lens were you using?

Do you have another lens to try?

My d70s did this when i was using a Sigma 18 to 200 OS lens. If It happenes again, turn off, take off lens and remount it. If the contacts look discolored on the lens, use a new eraser on a pencil and lightly brush them off.
    So many toy's not enough money !

Nikon D300s. Nikon D40, Nikon FE, Nikon F
    Ansco Ancoset Rangefinder, Rolleiflex TLR Sb800, sb400

Nikon 18-200 VR, nikon 18-55 II, Sigma 10 20 HSM, 50mm f1.8 ai-s, 50mm Non Ai f1.4
  • Glenn PGlenn P Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    JasonL wrote:
    My d70s did this when i was using a Sigma 18 to 200 OS lens. If It happenes again, turn off, take off lens and remount it. If the contacts look discolored on the lens, use a new eraser on a pencil and lightly brush them off.

I was using a Sigma 10-20. Thanks for the suggestions, sounds like this is more than likely an issue with lens mounting/dirty contacts, etc.

Glenn
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    These sigma lenses seem to be more dependant on clean contacts. The Nikon lenes work even when the Sigma's refuse to until I clean them. Very annoying.