Photos: Marvin Cordova Jr vs. Derrick Samuels August 23rd Las Vegas

ultravistaultravista Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
edited August 28, 2008 in Sports
Photos from the August 23rd Marvin Cordova Jr vs. Derrick Samuels fight in Las Vegas.

Fight Gallery
http://www.ultravista.com/g2/main.php?g2_itemId=29256

- Cesar Grajeda vs. Jose Pacheco
- Aaron Williams vs. Zack Page
- Torrence Daniels vs. Hassan Wasswa
- Akinyemi Laleye vs. Isaiah Henderson
- Marvin Cordova Jr vs. Derrick Samuels

DSC_4652-hr.jpg
DSC_4780-hr.jpg
DSC_4847-hr.jpg
DSC_4944-hr.jpg
DSC_5023-hr.jpg
DSC_5034-hr.jpg

Looking forward to the feedback!

Comments

• johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    I like shot 2 - nice capture there. The first and last would both be very nice shots but the focus is too soft / motion blur. I'm thinking the extra 1/100 shutter speed you could have gotten by bumping your ISO up would have helped.

2nd to last shot is also a nice shot but the hot spot on the lighting is a real distraction since it's directly on top of the point of interest. But that's minor. I think the biggest issue was needing a bit more shutter speed for that first and last shot.

Still very good work - fights are tough to shoot. But your camera had ISO to give and IMO your shots could have been even better if you'd used it.
  • ultravistaultravista Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    Great feedback John. I was weary about pushing it to 1600. Noise is always a concern and this was a low-light disaster.

How do you suggest I deal with the dark skin? It seemed to make matters worse.

Regarding noise removal, what do you recommend that won't give a plastic / soft look.

My RAW settings are already set to reduce 75%.
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    ultravista wrote:
    Great feedback John. I was weary about pushing it to 1600. Noise is always a concern and this was a low-light disaster.

How do you suggest I deal with the dark skin? It seemed to make matters worse.

Regarding noise removal, what do you recommend that won't give a plastic / soft look.

My RAW settings are already set to reduce 75%.

Here are my thoughts - just an opinion but it's how I work. You're working with tight framing/crops. Noise is going to be less impactful because you've got detail to work with. With or without noise a soft or blurred photo doesn't look that good. A sharp photo with some noise can still look OK though. Worst case you can convert to black and white. While the D200 isn't all that great at higher ISOs I'd be inclined to accept the noise over the blur because the style of shot you're going for requires sharpness. I tend to use Noiseware Pro for my noise reduction. I'll admit I haven't used the other products out there (Neatimage, noise ninja are the other 2 primary reduction programs) because I've always been happy with noiseware. I can't give you any particular settings because each camera will be different. But I've been very happy with the performance of the produce with the 3 different DSLRs I've used it on. The key, as you've mentioned, is not to overdo it. It's better to have a little noise than that plastic look. But the other key is to have properly exposed shots - noise shows up more in shadows and dark areas. If your shots are underexposed and corrected in PP they'll have much more noise than if you get the shot exposed properly in the first place.

And in the mean time, start putting money away for a d300 or d700. They're fantastic cameras and you'll see a huge improvement in low light performance over the D200. If you're going to do a lot more work on events like this it's a worthwhile investment.