How to make people laugh in front of camera ?

RendratRendrat Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited September 1, 2008 in People
I am interested to shoot a happy expression of people.
I want the people to laugh naturally, not just smile, in front of camera. And I hope to achieve that without candid shot.
Is there a way or technique to achieve that ?

Comments

• JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    Rendrat wrote:
    I am interested to shoot a happy expression of people.
    I want the people to laugh naturally, not just smile, in front of camera. And I hope to achieve that without candid shot.
    Is there a way or technique to achieve that ?

With kids, I just generally make a fool of myself and that usually works. That's depending on the age though too. The younger they are, the more that tends to work, in my experience anyway. I know there a lot more on here with more experience under their belt who can advise.
  • zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    just be funny.. I had a Rapper who was too serious so I started acting like one of those overly flamboyant ... guys like on Project runway.. calling him Dahling and stuff... he loosened up, i loosened up and we had fun.
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    It's all about interaction between you and your subject(s). I find that if I talk to them, and listen to what they say I usually have a lot of success. It usually works really well if you can get them to talk about themselves, or something that they've done about which they are happy/proud. Sometimes, getting them to talk about something that happened to them that they find funny (though that takes a lot more work because they have to trust you before they can open up to that extent). If they have a friend along, you can sometimes get that friend started relating a funny story and it just goes from there.
  • RendratRendrat Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 1, 2008
    Sorry for late reply. Thanks for all answer. I will try the suggestions.
  • cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    :D Ask the parents to bring faceclothe(s) to the shoot and greet them with some type of treat (as long as it's ok with mom and dad) You've become their newest best friend and will smile their hearts out for you!! Of course it's all age appropriate, but I know that sometimes the parents like the suckers just as much as the kids!!!thumb.gif
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    Whoopee cushings help with kids.
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    jonh68 wrote:
    Whoopee cushings help with kids.

I went to the birthday party favor section of Target and bought some little toys. The rollout horn is a big hit and so are bubbles to blow. I have a finger puppet in my camera bag. That is a hit with kids and adults. I use it sparingly cause it's a one trick wonder.

With kids I use the WOW word a lot - they like to copy me and I play with them on their level. Potty words are very popular with the 2 and 3 years olds.

With adults, get to know them, find their interests out and let them talk -- it makes them more comfortable.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com