Challenge 7 Communication Possible Entry C&C please

ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
edited September 7, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
OK everyone.....I've been away from the challenges for a bit, so I'd love some C&C. I had this beauty in my studio today.

My questions....
1. fit the theme?
2. good conversion?
3. to crop or not to crop? (or different crop?)
4. worthy, or keep shooting?

Please answer and share your thoughts. Thanks!!!

No Words Needed
360039687_gxEAy-L.jpg

No Words Needed Pano Version
360039757_p8eZF-M-1.jpg
Heather
www.heatherdunnphotography.com
My Blog My Facebook Page
GIVING BACK - How will you give?
"I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson

Comments

• jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    1. Fit the theme? With the "No Words Needed" title, yes. Without it? Barely. The cropped version seems to work better with the theme.

2. Good conversion? Yes. But I'm not partial to the almost-blown-out skin tones. But that's probably just me. Sometimes it works.

3. They are both good.

4. Your call. ne_nau.gif

It's a very nice image in B&W. I really like it.
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • cbsnetcbsnet Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    I like the cropped version better. If the baby's eyes were open and s/he was communicating back, it will fit the theme much better. That's just my two cents.

-carl
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    I think you cropped it a bit too much. The mom's fingers are still visible on the far right and they look a little strange.

Have you tried just cropping a bit from the top?
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    #1 is good, but I'd suggest to keep shooting..
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    Your pano crop is my favorite of the two...but I might suggest making it a tad wider, to include the arch of her eyebrow, and perhaps more her fingers.

I like the portraiture shot, but feel as though the position of the baby appears uncomfy and which could be causing the reaction of babies' facial expression...

Like your conversion, and I like the tones here...I might suggest a tad of shadow....play with midtones/highlights in your curves...and see what comes of it.

Nice shot...
    Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • SteelafanSteelafan Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    The skin seems too bright, borderline blinding, but I like where your going with this.nod.gif
    :patch Searching for that one shot that counts. The never ending quest to make people say "wow".:huh

http://asphotoworks.com
  • ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2008
    ok....after considering feedback I re-did the crop. The little ones toes were right up under mom's neck, so it took a bit of work to be able to lower where the crop was.

Is this new crop better?

BEFORE
    360039757_p8eZF-M-1.jpg

AFTER
    367015397_Qvyzr-M-2.jpg
    Heather
    www.heatherdunnphotography.com
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    GIVING BACK - How will you give?
    "I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson