Options

My Second Wedding

VinnieVinnie Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
edited September 5, 2008 in Weddings
Hey there all - back on Aug 2 - JasonL and I shot a wedding together...We did it as a favor for a friend but also for some practice of our own.

Below are a few of the shots we took - some have been Photoshopped some not...

I learned my lesson with this wedding - "if you can, shoot in Raw" - I didn't and a lot of my shots show it...It would have been nice to have more control over the image in post processing....

That said, I think we learned tons...what not to do again and what we would have done better.

I think I delivered a total of 240 "proofs" including these...We'll see if they like them or not...

Your C&C are very welcome!

Vinnie

349349370_Gawm7-L-2.jpg
EXIF

349349938_FtUyV-L-2.jpg
EXIF

349348264_PGRjC-L-2.jpg
EXIF

349352446_YxQCH-L-2.jpg
EXIF

349357878_PsBnh-L-2.jpg
EXIF

349357828_a3Nd5-L-2.jpg
EXIF

349357968_JKi6u-L-2.jpg
EXIF

349358607_NKfi5-L-2.jpg
EXIF

349359020_hRHaZ-L-2.jpg
EXIF

349359196_2x8ot-L-2.jpg
EXIF

11. - This is one of my favorite shots...not sure if I like it in color or b&w better - either way, needs a bit more photoshop...I'm just not that good...
349359825_kZ4Lj-L-2.jpg
349359671_CKtmz-L-2.jpg
EXIF

349354222_PUB2r-L-2.jpg
EXIF

349354364_qfU9g-L-2.jpg
EXIF

349356928_HWUkx-L-2.jpg
EXIF

349357051_wEQPV-L-2.jpg
EXIF

349357264_7qBvB-L-2.jpg
EXIF

Comments

• Options
    JasonLJasonL Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    Good Deal
    Vinnie wrote:
    Hey there all - back on Aug 2 - JasonL and I shot a wedding together...We did it as a favor for a friend but also for some practice of our own.

I learned my lesson with this wedding - "if you can, shoot in Raw" - I didn't and a lot of my shots show it...It would have been nice to have more control over the image in post processing....

That said, I think we learned tons...what not to do again and what we would have done better.

I think I delivered a total of 240 "proofs" including these...We'll see if they like them or not...

Vinnie

I think you did a great job. Considering who you had to work with. HA HA. I think some great images were captured and they got way more than what they paid for. That was a great learning experence and will help in the future. It definatly helped me for the next one, and I hope some people will give their opinions about these pictures. Once again Vinnie pleasure to work with you and hope you get some good C&C.
    So many toy's not enough money !

Nikon D300s. Nikon D40, Nikon FE, Nikon F
    Ansco Ancoset Rangefinder, Rolleiflex TLR Sb800, sb400

Nikon 18-200 VR, nikon 18-55 II, Sigma 10 20 HSM, 50mm f1.8 ai-s, 50mm Non Ai f1.4
  • Options
    JasonLJasonL Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2008
    bump
    JasonL wrote:
    Vinnie wrote:

Vinnie

I think you did a great job. Considering who you had to work with. HA HA. I think some great images were captured and they got way more than what they paid for. That was a great learning experence and will help in the future. It definatly helped me for the next one, and I hope some people will give their opinions about these pictures. Once again Vinnie pleasure to work with you and hope you get some good C&C.

Hey people, alot of views and no comments??? A little C&C would be great, there is a tremendous amount of knowledge on this forum and could use some advice here. Thanks everyone !!!
    So many toy's not enough money !

Nikon D300s. Nikon D40, Nikon FE, Nikon F
    Ansco Ancoset Rangefinder, Rolleiflex TLR Sb800, sb400

Nikon 18-200 VR, nikon 18-55 II, Sigma 10 20 HSM, 50mm f1.8 ai-s, 50mm Non Ai f1.4
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2008
    Ok, allow me to give you my perspectives (for what it's worth..Laughing.gif). First off, some of the shots are clear and in focus...that's a great starting point. Others unfortunately are not sharp, lack the DOF necessary to capture the subjects and looks as though camera shake is present in a few. # 8, 14 & 15 show the shutter speed was too low (motion blur w/camera shake).

Secondly, what these are lacking is any dynamic "POP". The lighting is very flat and "a" typical in the sense of aiming a camera at something and shooting. Compositions are somewhat uniteresting as they aren't grabbing the viewer of any particular mood. Let's look at #2 just as an example for a moment.

Here the bride is off to the left looking at the girls. The girls are looking at the camera...sort of. The girl in the middle almost has her eyes closed. The setting is not beneficial with the subjects, meaning it is not adding to the overall scene but actually distracts. There is no mood, story or "feel" to this shot. The location and setting "could" be wonderful but one must look through the viewfinder a bit to find that "perfect" blend of subjects and background matter. Selecting the proper DOF is critical here as well as LIGHT. It's light that makes a photograph. Using off camera flash, on camera flash/bounced, etc. can change a shot in a heartbeat.

Let's look at #5 for a moment. What is this shot about? Is the bride somewhere out to the right of frame that everyone is looking that way? Is this about the groom? If it is, then it would be better served zooming in on him and making it about him, not simply a bunch of guys with the minister looking on.....on to what? is the question. The swimmers in the background on the beach are distracting as well and the cut off guy at the right of frame. Once again, flat light, nothing interesting to keep the viewer looking time and time again.

#12 & 13. I would call this a classic example of out of focus shots, converted to some form of gray scale to make it look "artistic". If the shot's fuzzy, delete it...forget it. Otherwise it's simply a black and white fuzzy shot. Again, the light is incredibly subdued/flat and un-iteresting.

I only bring up these negative points to help you "see" possibly how they could be better.....next time. Look for good light, dynamic light or create your own. Isolate your subject (s)...make them stand out. Use beautiful backgrounds to your advantage complimenting your subjects. Remember, it's about the people. Forget about landscapes for now.

Shooting a wedding is difficult. The fast pace of events along with knowing camera settings, how they work, lighting, then throw artistic vision into the mix...well, you get the idea. Millions of people purchase new cameras and shoot weddings these days. Honestly, one must learn how to capture the essence of a shot long before they attempt a wedding. It's good you're doing it but strongly suggest learning about light, composition, focus, aperture and how to capture the "look/mood". There is nothing easy here. We all start somewhere. Dig up wedding photog's websites and start looking and looking and looking. This will open up ideas, even subconciously when out shooting.

Hope this is helpful.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Ok, allow me to give you my perspectives (for what it's worth..Laughing.gif).

Dave - you're a veteran and a true professional I can only hope to one day take as great pictures...hopefully with some luck and lots of practices over the years I can become half as good....thank you for even taking the time to look over my post.
    Swartzy wrote:
    First off, some of the shots are clear and in focus...that's a great starting point. Others unfortunately are not sharp, lack the DOF necessary to capture the subjects and looks as though camera shake is present in a few. # 8, 14 & 15 show the shutter speed was too low (motion blur w/camera shake).

I see what you mean...I was using a d200 with a nikon 17-55mm 2.8 - I didn't think I was moving all that much, but I guess the proof is in the pictures...I'll try to keep that in mind the next time...as far as DOF, not sure how I can change that...any suggestions?
    Swartzy wrote:

Secondly, what these are lacking is any dynamic "POP". The lighting is very flat and "a" typical in the sense of aiming a camera at something and shooting. Compositions are somewhat uninteresting as they aren't grabbing the viewer of any particular mood.

Gotcha - unfortunately, all I had was an sb-800 - camera mounted with a diffuser - I try to bounce, but it was still difficult. I tried spot metering at times, but didn't have much luck - all the pictures under the gazebo came out extremely dark...Next time - I think I'll have to invest in some off camera flash units - only problem, in this particular venue (as you can see from #8) it is a tight fit - don't know where I would put them - any suggestions?
    Swartzy wrote:
    Let's look at #2 just as an example for a moment.

Here the bride is off to the left looking at the girls. The girls are looking at the camera...sort of. The girl in the middle almost has her eyes closed. The setting is not beneficial with the subjects, meaning it is not adding to the overall scene but actually distracts. There is no mood, story or "feel" to this shot. The location and setting "could" be wonderful but one must look through the viewfinder a bit to find that "perfect" blend of subjects and background matter. Selecting the proper DOF is critical here as well as LIGHT. It's light that makes a photograph. Using off camera flash, on camera flash/bounced, etc. can change a shot in a heartbeat.

I see what you mean...I had a tough time with the girl in the middle, she often blinked - almost every picture I had of her, she was blinking - any thoughts on how to avoid that? I didn't have any pre-flashes, so I know it wasn't that...I just couldn't figure it out.

you're right about the back ground...it is uninteresting - I took this as they walked out of the door and were getting ready to walk down the stairs.... a better shot might have been to get them walking down the stairs...
    Swartzy wrote:

Let's look at #5 for a moment. What is this shot about? Is the bride somewhere out to the right of frame that everyone is looking that way? Is this about the groom? If it is, then it would be better served zooming in on him and making it about him, not simply a bunch of guys with the minister looking on.....on to what? is the question. The swimmers in the background on the beach are distracting as well and the cut off guy at the right of frame. Once again, flat light, nothing interesting to keep the viewer looking time and time again.

I see what you mean - at first glance it does look a bit random - It is, of course as you already know, a picture of the groom seeing his beloved soon-to-be wife for the first time on their wedding day. I was attempting to capture his awe and love - it would seem that all I successfully captured was a beach goer with one leg, an uninterested minister, a son more concerned with his lapel than the task at hand and another son ringing his hands getting ready to sit down to lunch....haha

I do see the same issue with lighting...again - any thoughts...specifics about how, where, etc?

Swartzy wrote:

#12 & 13. I would call this a classic example of out of focus shots, converted to some form of gray scale to make it look "artistic". If the shot's fuzzy, delete it...forget it. Otherwise it's simply a black and white fuzzy shot. Again, the light is incredibly subdued/flat and un-iteresting.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on the out of focus part of this critique - I just checked my originals - and her face in the first and her hair in the second are perfectly in focus - I did photoshop a bit and soften a bit, but not much - I do understand your point completely though and could see how you might see this as an attempt to mask a blundered shot...

I don't like the harsh shadows in 12 and thought about cropping and PS'ing a bit more, but I thought shortening the shot would remove some of the drama I was trying to go for here...

Swartzy wrote:

I only bring up these negative points to help you "see" possibly how they could be better.....next time. Look for good light, dynamic light or create your own. Isolate your subject (s)...make them stand out. Use beautiful backgrounds to your advantage complimenting your subjects. Remember, it's about the people. Forget about landscapes for now.

Shooting a wedding is difficult. The fast pace of events along with knowing camera settings, how they work, lighting, then throw artistic vision into the mix...well, you get the idea. Millions of people purchase new cameras and shoot weddings these days. Honestly, one must learn how to capture the essence of a shot long before they attempt a wedding. It's good you're doing it but strongly suggest learning about light, composition, focus, aperture and how to capture the "look/mood". There is nothing easy here. We all start somewhere. Dig up wedding photog's websites and start looking and looking and looking. This will open up ideas, even subconsciously when out shooting.

Hope this is helpful.

Completely understand your POV - I am taking it all in - The reason I joined this forum was specifically for this purpose - my intent is to learn - to absorb as much information I can...I believe that greatness is only achieved through constant practice and learning....and even then some (including myself) may never get there - IMHO - I think people forget all to often that photography is an art form. It certainly has it's technical aspects, but mostly it is an artists representation of a fleeting moment in time. A way of telling a story that means something to someone. It is our attempt at immortality both on the page and off. - or at least that's what I've been told...haha...

Thanks again Dave - I appreciate it - I would love to hear your thoughts on the questions I posed...

listening intently....
    Vinnie
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2008
    Thanks again to everyone - I appreciate the advice...I know I can use it!deal.gif