Dancing iShiva

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
edited September 2, 2008 in People
I had been thinking about this shot for a while and finally convinced my daughter to pose for it.

EDIT: There is a revised (hopefully improved) version of this on the second page of this thread.

360177627_shLLK-L.jpg

C&C always welcome.

Comments

• AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    Hahaha, great shot rolleyes1.gif
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    Nicely posed! Nice technical work from you. clap.gif

Why that white wall, skirting board and carpet, though? And all-over lighting?

It needs a lightning storm! And strong lighting from one side and top, colors to make her skin look like brass. And all the LEDs glowing!

I would have liked to see her hair loose and wild. And her in a neon lycra body suit, of two different colors for the two exposures.

Oh! You haven't finished yet? Pardon me! :D

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    Great idea (ah, the digital age). :D The pose is perfect!
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    I had been thinking about this shot for a while and finally convinced my daughter to pose for it.

C&C always welcome.
    Tres bien, mon ami! clap.gif
    I'm gonna still the idea :-) deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    The photo is wonderful on many levels! Ancient and very 21st century at the sae time. What a great idea.

Virginia

Email
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    Love it! Very original and creative! Two thumbs up, Richard! thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • JimFuglestadJimFuglestad Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    I agree with Neil.

The idea is successful, but the execution could be more dramatic. Primarily if you're going to include the carpet and floor than I think you need to create a sense of depth between the subject and the wall. If a person is next to a wall it's pretty near impossible to not have a shadow, so the shadows shouldn't have been edited out for depth.

Even just pulling her 2 feet in front of the wall would have created some depth.

It's definitely a fun concept and very close to pulling it off.

Jim
    Live with intention.
    Walk to the edge.
    Listen hard.
    Pratice wellness.
    Play with abandon.
    Laugh.
    Choose with no regrets.
    Appreciate your friends.
    Continue to learn.
    Do what you love.
    Live as if this is all there is.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited August 28, 2008
    Thanks for the comments, everyone. Much appreciated. thumb.gif

Jim and Neil: I agree that the background sucks. My original idea was a little more complicated. Here's a work in progress version of the concept. If you can, ignore the transparency at the bottom--it was not meant to stay that way.
    360325201_ppXNs-M.jpg
    It was amusing, but I backed off from this idea because I was afraid that the Nataraja reference might be too obscure for some people. In any event, the background problem is still unresolved.

Leaving the shadows alone sure would have saved me a lot of time and effort rolleyes1.gif, but I just didn't like the way it looked. I have no lighting equipment--this was shot with a single EX-580 on camera. I didn't have enough space to have her move further out from the wall. On the positive side, I now have some fairly accurate masks that would help in replacing the background altogether.

I may go back to this one if I get a better idea for a background, but in the end I was just trying to be funny and laziness got the upper hand. I don't have much experience with posed shots and I was rather overwhelmed by the number of details involved. It really increased my respect for all you portrait shooters. bowdown.gif
    edited August 28, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    I may go back to this one if I get a better idea for a background,

Yes, it did seem to me you likely wanted to do a lot more with this. Since you have selections, and you like environment shots, why not look through your archives for the right photo to put her in? Or go looking to shoot something new for it? I can imagine an architectural background, something modern and sculptural. Making her the pedestal of a fountain?

Looking forward to seeing your solution. The idea is worth finding one.

Neil

edited August 30, 2008
    Better or too much?

361871113_JMUuV-L.jpg
  • pvrsvarmapvrsvarma Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2008
    This is Nice. Looks better!

Cheers!
    P V R S Varma

www.pvrsvarma.com
    edited August 31, 2008
    pvrsvarma wrote:
    This is Nice. Looks better!

Thanks for the encouragement. thumb.gif
    edited August 31, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Better or too much?
    Richard,
    this is, I think, my first time when I see the famous Mandlebrot set used as an Indian-themed backdrop - and, by Shiva, does it fit! :-) thumb.gif
    Did you generate the bg image yourself with something like MatLab?
    r35p3c7! bowdown.gif
    edited August 31, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Richard,
    this is, I think, my first time when I see the famous Mandlebrot set used as an Indian-themed backdrop - and, by Shiva, does it fit! :-) thumb.gif
    Did you generate the bg image yourself with something like MatLab?
    r35p3c7! bowdown.gif

Cheers, Nik. I'm glad someone recognized it :D. I had been browsing through images of Hindu art when the idea occurred to me. I think it works visually and (for geeks like us) it adds to the joke. I used WinCIG to generate it.
    edited August 31, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Cheers, Nik. I'm glad someone recognized it :D. I had been browsing through images of Hindu art when the idea occurred to me. I think it works visually and (for geeks like us) it adds to the joke. I used WinCIG to generate it.
    Oh, the whole fractals concept got me fascinated since I was a college kid (math major). Very cool beans! thumb.gif
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2008
    Cool shot. I often wish I had four arms.
    edited September 1, 2008
    If this was what you were imagining, then I think it hits the spot! clap.gif It's rich and extravagant in a controlled, symmetrical way.

It is certainly very accomplished graphics-wise. Congratulations!

I wonder, though, why the distribution of stars, which is varied so nicely in most areas of the background, suddenly diminishes to nil in the bottom quarter? I think I would have liked to have seen a more gradual taper away to a sparse one or two?

I am a bit surprised, I admit, to see you make this choice of 'decorative' setting for the figure. I was expecting image elements of contemporary, tech stuff. I imagined a mirroring effect, for example, of glowing VDUs, radiating around her. rolleyes1.gif

Best.

Neil

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    Wow Richard. This just keeps getting better and better. I am so digging that funky background. What a concept. Great job in post there dude!mwink.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited September 1, 2008
    Thanks David, Neil and Swartzy. thumb.gif

Neil: I did the gradient of the stars with the idea of the heavens being above rather than the figure and pedestal floating in space. In the back of my mind, I also saw a rough sea at the bottom, but I don't have any decent shots of that in my archive and the seas are calm in Madrid right now. mwink.gif I'm also not sure I could pull it off well, so I think I'm going to call it a day on this one.
    edited September 1, 2008
    Richard wrote:

Neil: I did the gradient of the stars with the idea of the heavens being above rather than the figure and pedestal floating in space. In the back of my mind, I also saw a rough sea at the bottom, but I don't have any decent shots of that in my archive and the seas are calm in Madrid right now. mwink.gif I'm also not sure I could pull it off well, so I think I'm going to call it a day on this one.

Yeah, that's fine. It does a lot as it is.

Funny that you should mention a sea, because one of my first thoughts when I saw this version was that she was surfing on the mouse!

Neil

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    Richard wrote:

For the sea or water....you might give the plug in FLOOD a try.....dang I cannot remember whose it is......but the trials use to be full savable files....just like genuine fractals does....

Very cool shot.......I really like it!!!
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited September 2, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    For the sea or water....you might give the plug in FLOOD a try.....dang I cannot remember whose it is......but the trials use to be full savable files....just like genuine fractals does....

Very cool shot.......I really like it!!!

Thanks for the tip, Art. I think there's already enough happening here, so I'm going to quit before I screw it up. :D