December Morning

Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
edited August 27, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
This was taken last December after one of many ice storms we had. The sun had partially melted the ice but the wind was blowing quite strongly. Even tho it ignores the rules of composition, I think it works here.
C&C appreciated as always.

360175556_tCpfa-L.jpg

Jack
(My real name is John but Jack'll do)

Comments

• AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    I think that it works too..... NICE SHOT ........thumb.gif azzaro
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    I'm not sure I would know that this was an icy tree if you hadn't have said so. The ice needs to flash and shine. The lighting just wasn't right.
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    Azzaro wrote:
    I think that it works too..... NICE SHOT ........thumb.gif azzaro

Thanks for looking and your kind comment Azzaro.

Jack
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    I'm not sure I would know that this was an icy tree if you hadn't have said so. The ice needs to flash and shine. The lighting just wasn't right.
    It's actually not about the lighting Jeff, although this was indeed a very grey december day. In past years our ice storms have encased the trees in glistening ice as you'd expect. This year however most of them, (and there were an unusual lot), began as a very heavy wet snow which built up on the needles. The snow quickly changed to freezing rain which then turned that snow to slush which then froze. That's what you're seeing, and why it's not glistening. It's also why I felt it made an unusually nice effect.

Jack
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    Hi Jack,

I really like the work you're doing these days with B&W. Just for kicks, I took this shot and, coming from the bottom, cropped off the stuff on the left and right of the main tree subject and then turned the photo up on end with the subject tree coming in from the right. Your copyright sign is now on the bottom left. Just another way of looking at it.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.